New Driver given FY2011 release by Ubi

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 21:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Driver

Hidden deep in Ubisoft’s press release for sales targets in Q3 and FY2009/2010, the company’s confirmed that a new Driver is on the way in FY2011.

It is the first time we have heard anything on a new Driver game since 2008, when the BBC managed to confirm a new title in the series was in development at Ubi Reflections.

The studio was bought from Atari in August 2006 for $24 million.

Also confirmed for FY2011 is a new Ghost Recon from the company, as well as Raving Rabbids 4 and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, which was already down for a May release since a November reveal.

Ubi earlier announced a new multiplayer-focused Assassin’s Creed and a delayed Splinter Cell: Conviction for fiscal year 2011.

1. Razor

It would take a lot for Driver to get back on track; Driv3r and Fo-, sorry, Parallel Lines, were pretty awful.

2. No_PUDding

I don’t mind Driv3r, the director mode was still awesome to me.

I’d love to be the creative director on this baby. I’d do so much right with the actual play.

3. Brinaldo

Stil no “I’m Alive”…

4. The_Deleted

You have to wonder why. So many studios close with great games behind them and Ubisoft are determined to flog this dead horse.

5. Johnny Cullen

I Am Alive was in the email we got, but nothing worth reporting from what we already knew.

6. No_PUDding

The horse has died, but if you don’t try flogging it, then how will you ever know if it can’t be resurrected.

Driver as a franchise never turned stale, it was simply superceeded by GTA. That is without a doubt it’s benefit.

7. SplatteredHouse

I’d like to see a new Driver game, it could be very good. I’ll wait and see to find out what they’ve come up with.

8. Blerk

It’s basically an entirely new game though, right? Different team, different publisher? I’m guessing all that will remain is the name.

9. The_Deleted

Let’s hope so.

10. No_PUDding

No, Reflections is still the same team.

Hopefully it will be an entirely different rendition on the series, and obviously it will be a different game.

They won’t be porting Driv3r to HD console.

11. Blerk

Ah, you’re right – Ubi bought the team as well as the name. Unfortunately their last game appears to have been the execrable Emergency Heroes, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.