Square Enix open to Western-developed Final Fantasy games

Tuesday, 5th January 2010 02:54 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ffxiii6

What happens in Japan evidently doesn’t stay in Japan. It just takes more than two decades to leave. Speaking with Edge (via Play.tm), Square Enix president Yoichi Wada gave a thumbs-up to the idea of a non-Japanese developed installment of his company’s flagship Final Fantasy series.

“That is one of the possible paths, but it’s not something that we would shift completely over to,” he said. “There is always a possibility that Final Fantasy could be produced with the input of our Western developers, overseen by our Japanese developers.”

Wada’s current proof-of-concept? Batman: Arkham Asylum, of all things.

“Something like Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example, is something that is very like the Japanese taste in games, in fact it caters very much to the Japanese taste. Arkham Asylum is like the best aspects of Metal Gear solid, but evolved,” Wada enthused.

Hey Mr. Wada, does your oft-rumored collaboration with GRIN count? Because we hear that didn’t end so well.

1. Phoenixblight

SOmething that I would expect, they have to find inspiration somehow hopefully doesn’t bomb like Silent Hill Homecoming did with giving the franchise to Westerners.

2. Talyis

Now this is a bad move, why does Yoichi Wada cater so much about the way western developers make games, It’s Squares fault that there games are going downhill! Now there gonna ruin the whole franchise because there that desperate to get the America’s and Europe’s attention. I buy Final Fantasy games for the traditional gameplay if I wanted a western style game I would buy a western style game. There are still plenty of fans out there that love the turn based gameplay but for PS3 gamer like me, it’s kinda hard to show our love when none of the companies are releasing jrpg’s for the PS3 which is where those fans are! No disrespect to the 360 but look how bad all of the JRPG’s have been selling on the 360 and I think Square forgot than there biggest market is still on the Sony platform and were just sitting here waiting for a SE game, Sure we finally get Star Ocean 4 next month and Final Fantasy the month after but we didn’t get The Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery and they wonder why there games aren’t selling! Square needs to go back to there roots.

3. Talyis

4. Quiiick

So Final Fantasy XIV will be a FPS then?

5. Michael O’Connor

“Also my advice to Square Enix get rid of Yoichi Wada he is bringing the company down, he is too focused on the western audience!”

Yeah, because trying to stop the company from going under due to the constantly shrinking market in its home territory is such a horrible thing for him to do, amirite?

6. Len

You are indeed, I think they’re lucky to have him tbh.

Decent interview with him in this/last months Edge which I can’t find a link to.

7. Phoenixblight

I finally agree with you O’Connor. TIme for a change if they want to make it back to main stream western side.

8. Talyis

Come on guys why do you thinks there is a shrinking market America has more people then Japan, I have had my PS3 since launch and not had 1 Square Enix game released on it yet! Most of anybody I talk to that owns a PS3 are RPG gamers just sitting there waiting to finally get there hand on a good JRPG look how well FF13 sold in Japan, also look how well the Wii products sell in Japan there is still a market there, Square Enix hasn’t been making any money because the fact most 360 owners don’t buy RPG’s and that’s the only console they have been releasing games on, I’m betting FF Versus 13 will sell more than FF13 when it releases! The Japanese is not failing Square Enix as a developer are!

9. Phoenixblight

Sorry but the Xbox 360 JRPG games were utter crap Remnant -crap, Blue Dragon – Crap, Star Ocean- Crap. The only one that was pretty good was Lost Odysee, thats it. Square as the saying goes has to evolve or die.

10. Johnny Cullen

While I agree on Star Ocean, The Last Remnant was actually a decent RPG from the amount of time I got with it.

It was just poorly executed.