PS3 passes 4 million in Japan, Wii breaks 9 million

Wednesday, 16th December 2009 12:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim2

According to Famitsu, PS3 has passed 4 million hardware sales in Japan, with life-to-date figures now standing at 4,020,563.

Wii has also broken a major milestone, in addition, beating 9 million units at 9,048,012.

PS3 launched on November 11, 2006 in Japan; Wii appeared on December 2 of the same year.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Razor

Well Sony have FFXIII to nudge it higher this week.

2. Blerk

It’ll be very interesting to see just how big a bump FF can generate.

3. PolyGoneWithTheWind

Not as interested as SCEJ I’m sure!

4. NiceFellow

I doubt anyone’s as interested as SCEJ, apart from maybe Nintendo. I guess MS will be curious but more interested in the split in West across HD platforms when it finally releases here.

Unless Sony are just plain out of luck I’m expecting a fairly chunky boost for week 1 for PS3 sales – particularly the flashy bundles.

5. zoopdeloop

FFXIII in NA will probably sell a little bit more on the 360 but worlwide it would have biger sales on the ps3
    I wonder if both Sony and Microsoft will have bundles with FFXIII in the west

6. Johnny Cullen

ZDZ – I actually thought there would be bundles announced during the announcement of the Western date.

I reckon it’ll be announced anyways next year before March 9th. Exclusive probably, but I wouldn’t know which console they’d go for.

If Square Enix were smart, and decide they also want an exclusive ad campaign with one of the platforms, they’d go for the PS3.

7. zoopdeloop

Or maybe they feel torn for that matter and they won’t release any bundles at all

8. Blerk

I’m guessing we’ll see bundles for both machines, and advertising for both as well. But if it does fall on one side or the other, it’s likely to be Sony’s – tradition, etc.

9. Psychotext

Tradition states that the advertising / bundle deal goes to whoever is willing to throw the most money at it. :D

10. ecu

I think FFXIII will sell more on the PS3 in every region.

11. NoxNoctisUmbra

remeber what kind of audiance buys a wii, remeber what kind of audiance buys a ps3 and xobx.. one of them is hardcore one of them is not..