Yahoo! – PS3 is “all fun and games until the battery dies”

Tuesday, 8th December 2009 09:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dualshock38

This is brilliant. An article on Yahoo! Finance about Christmas gifts has claimed that PS3′s pads must be replaced after running out of charge.

“It’s all fun and games until the battery dies,” said author Anne Kadet. “Unlike its competitors, which use replaceable AA batteries, the PS3′s remote control is glued shut. When the battery goes, Sony customers have to blow $55 on a new controller.”

You’re right, Anne. That really is a glaring design fault.

The frantic hole-digging continues: “Sony says there’s an ‘environmental benefit’ since gamers don’t have to toss their batteries on a regular basis, but Isidor Buchmann, president of battery-equipment maker Cadex Electronics, says captive batteries are becoming common because it’s cheaper for companies to eliminate the battery housing and hatch.”

Spectacular. Merry Christmas. Thanks, mart.

1. jnms

Just think how many ignorant Yahoo readers are going to actually believe that!

2. robebre

3. pleasant_cabbage

It is a bit shite though. These things can lose their charge over time and then you do have a nerfed controller.

p.s. you can use rechargeable batteries/packs with the 360 pad so …

4. G1GAHURTZ

Is she saying that you can’t charge it, or that you can’t just replace the battery once it has stopped charging properly?

5. Gekidami

Has anyone actually ever had their sixaxis battery die? I’ve had mine since launch and the batteries outlive the shoddy analogues by far.
    Funnily enought one of my pads analogues was just so loose i threw it in the bin… But not before opening it up and taking out the battery that i could reuse on another pad.

She’s saying you cant replace it once its broke for some reason.

6. Razor

I’m sure this has nothing to do with Yahoo and MS’s close relationship, does it…

7. Psychotext

The battery in mine doesn’t last as long as it did, but if it ever gets to the point that it’s not good enough I’ll simply rip it open and replace “unofficially”.

8. Tonka

LOL

9. Ghost_Dog

If the battery runs out, can you still plug them into the PS3 via the usb and use them that way?

10. Petulant Radish

I’m pretty sure they are talking about when the battery eventually dies, which it will, not only after one charge. No one is that stupid, at least I hope not, lest my faith in humanity is completely dulled once and forever.

The batteries on my Xbox pads are all dying, I’ve had them about a year and a half with constant recharges, and now they will run out after about five minutes following a one day charge. The buggers.

11. Robo_1

Nice to see MS’s purchase of Yahoo won’t effect their editorial quality. :D

12. bobbymington

my wired controller for my xbox has been worn down to the bone, so i though instead of purchasing a whole new controller, i’d just get the cheapest battery pack i can find for the wireless controller i never use.

found one though a amazon seller, 6 quid, for a battery pack and wire….the battery lasts ten minutes max :) maybe i shouldn’t be so tight in future.

13. Bulk Slash

@jnms

People still actually use Yahoo?

14. G1GAHURTZ

btw, it took me and some other guys here at work (also PS3 owners) ages to figure out how to sync other controllers so that we could play multiplayer MW2 the other day.

If I didn’t have a USB cable for my phone, we’d have been pretty stuck.

15. mojo

alright. this is a statement of professionalism on internet news writing.

as far as the battery goes, the ds3 is flawless. its just working and working and working.
    me and a mate binned 2 ds3 coz the analog stick died due to heavy use in bejing 08 (the definate pad-killer), but for the battery, i never had any problem with em.
    Power-wise, ds3 is best u can get.

Giga: wait, just for the record: ur complaining about the synch to happen with a standard, everyday, 2pencefifty usb cable u get with simply EVERYTHING=?!
    ok, cool…

16. ianos

@G1GAHURTZ

Doesn’t the PS3 come with a USB cable bundled? Obviously it makes more sense to go by the 360/Wii route of having sync buttons on them, but it’s not like the console doesn’t come with the requisite equipment.

17. polygem

ahh come on…just plug in the cable…i mean i got some wireless 360 controllers but most of the time i play with my old wired controller which i have since the first days of 360 release…this thing is built like a tank and i love it…that said i would say it´s more like the dualshock suffers from it´s analogsticks and it´s somehow cheapfeeling overall design…i really think it´s about time for sony to bring on a whole new controllerdesign besides the wand thing i mean…

18. theevilaires

….hey pleasant_cabbage you do know all rechargeable batteries will die eventually. The only difference between the DS3 and Duke3 types is that M$ makes you pay extra for the convenience….but that shouldn’t surprise anyone right….

19. theevilaires

polygem, they tried to change the controller, but everyone wanted the same DualShock. It really is the perfect gaming pad now as the DS3.

20. Hunam

Still a shame the triggers are better on the DS2 and the DS3. I had to buy those little clip on things to stop the pad flinging out my hands!

21. Mike

“glad there was a lot of smart people in here to not turn his bullshit story into an obvious planned flamewar.

But now the not-so-smart people have turned up, we can start one. Woohoo!

M$!!11 Sony is free, M$ you pay!!!

/spastic face

22. Eregol

My launch day pads are still going strong.
    Don’t see what the issue is.

Robo_1′s point is the one for me.

23. Hunam

Lion batteries can be a pain in the arse. I had to change the one on my DS Lite last month. My sixaxis is doing ok though, because I always run it till it’s dead then fully charge it. It’s only been charged about 5 or 6 times though, I’m not so heavy on the PS3.

The 360 battery backs are made by the devil though.

24. pleasant_cabbage

I was referring to the post directly above me (robebre). Seeing as the 360 also uses rechargeables the ‘savings’ the ps3 makes by having an internal battery are not that much to the consumer.

Also, when the batteries (pack or rechargeable ones) go deadly dead death flat on the 360 you don’t have to piss about with opening a pad. Flame away but the difference remains.

25. Retroid

I’m hoping the article *actually* means when the battery loses the ability to hold much charge, not about when the charge runs out….

@robebre: “The cost of regularly replacing the batteries on the xbox controller must surely exceed the cost of replacing the ps3 controller when it eventually stops working.”

You’ve never heard of these?

26. No_PUDding

My launch Sixaxis ones dont seem any different. Well it’s been thrown a few times, so it’s not in mint condition, but it still works and works for a long time.

Lucky I didnt get it for Christmas though, i hate lumps of coal.

27. G1GAHURTZ

@ mojo: Nah, I’m complaining because, as ianos points out, you should be able to do it wirelessly as common sense dictates.

This was a PS3 at work, so the bundled cable could very well have been lost in some box in the IT department upstairs for all we knew.

Anyway, it’s not a massive problem, just a small inconvenience that seemed counter intuitive.

28. Blerk

Ha ha! Classic! Well done, Yahoo! :-D

29. Goliath

@ Retroid

I agree with you on both points. I think what was written was taken out of context.

30. Freek

The article doesn’t mention anything more about batteries, it goes on to other gadgets. It was probably just poorly written.

31. spitos

If this article has any relation to MS and Yahoo (which I doubt), then you can see why this wasn’t a title too:
    Xbox 360 – It’s all fun and games until it RROD’s!

The fact is these products use batteries, any battery will degrade overtime and with charge cycles just like the batteries that are used for remote controls and the 360 pad.
    The cell type used in these batteries for the DS3 is the same for laptops and are very reliable, I think the article was very poorly written and seems to group the PS3 unjustifiably with unreliable products, which quite simply is not fact.

I know that my pad last for days on end without charging and nobody I know has ever had problems (apart from when I got a bit too competitive on Beijing 2008)
    Has anybody actually had problems charging their pad?

Maybe the writer should just get some coal for xmas, after all the article does mention this:
    “But I’m starting to think that coal isn’t a bad gift at all. For one thing, it lasts forever”.

Go buy some coal then.

32. mojo

Giga. ok. but, what do u do if u have 2 ps3?
    which one will synch with which pad? imo the cable is a safer bet there.
    Both options would be best, no doubt :D

33. G1GAHURTZ

Agreed. Both options would indeed be better.

34. Retroid

@spitos: it’s not saying the PS3 is unreliable though, is it? It’s just very badly written.

35. spitos

@Retroid: Probably not directly actually but I think that the article does imply an unreliability issue as the main topic overall though and the pad is part of the ps3 product. Unfortunately as jnms said in post #1, some would instantly take this as a negative instead of using sense and researching facts. One reason it is very badly written.

36. Eregol

Has anyone actually had a pad die on them yet?

37. Cort

Only when I dropped it down a flight of uncarpeted stairs…..

38. NiceFellow

Ah, the lowly depths of modern internet reporting. It’s like your local newspaper for accuracy – only worse.

For the record, I have yet to ever hear of one of the things failing to recharge and totally die, I myself have 2 original SIXAXIS from launch plus 2 DS3 and they all still charge fully and show no signs of giving up even after taking a pounding in terms of usage.

39. theevilaires

I’ve had my two sixasis from launch and they still work perfectly. I have two import DS3 when they first came out in Japan…still the same. No problems, also there’s power options that will turn of the controller within 10 min of it being idle.

40. Uncontested

Ive had 4 controllers and none have had the battery die (Yeah 2 of them where abused and smashed in rage quits while I was in the Marine Corps)