Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands announced for May 2010 launch

Monday, 30th November 2009 17:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

princeofpersia16

Ubi just confirmed the next major game in the Prince of Persia series is subtitled The Forgotten Sands. It’ll release for “consoles and handhelds” next May.

There’s virtually no detail on the title, other than it’ll “feature many of the fan-favorite elements from the original series as well as new gameplay innovations”.

More soon, hopefully. PR after the break.

Update: There’s going to be a VGA trailer of The Forgotten Sands at the VGAs on December 12. Thanks, onlineatron.

UBISOFT® ANNOUNCES
PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE FORGOTTEN SANDS™

New Adventure in the Prince of Persia® Sands of Time Series Debuts May 2010

LONDON, UK – November 30, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced that Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands™ video game is in development and is scheduled to be released May 2010 for consoles and handhelds. This new instalment in the critically-acclaimed franchise marks the return to the Prince of Persia® Sands of Time storyline. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands™ will feature many of the fan-favorite elements from the original series as well as new gameplay innovations that gamers have come to expect from the Prince of Persia brand.

1. Anders

Crap. I enjoyed the reinvention of the series.

2. The Hindle

It will be at the Vgas

3. satsugai

Get rid of the japanese anime inspired prince then I’ll be interested.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Loved the last game, but can’t they come up with something without involving “sand” in the title? lol

In my mind, almost instantly pigeon holes it to the last Sands title which isn’t fair to the new title..

5. Bulk Slash

Nice to know Ubi are committed to finishing what they start. Presumably they’ll reboot Assassin’s Creed before they finish that story too?

6. Eregol

They better not go back to the Goth chic of the second and third games of the series.
    I want to find out what happens to the Prince and his lady friend from the reboot series.

7. bluemanrule

Yeah, hopefully this game will recall the Sands of Time and bring back that storyline and extend it. That would be great. I think the art-style of the past game was great. All the game needed was more combat and the great voiceover from the Sands of Time. Then you have a great PoP game.

8. onlineatron

There will be a VGA trailer for the game

9. The Hindle

This is going to be something special for me to buy it, considering its coming out when a load of other games are coming out as well. The first half of next year is getting ridiculous now

10. Hunam

Good news for PoP fans, bad news for BG&E fans i’d wager though.

11. The Hindle

Not really Hunam if Ubisoft make a shit load of money of this game they may be willing to take a risk with another BG&E game. I fucking hope so anyway dam Ubisoft.

12. Hunam

But they showed that little trailer like 2 years ago and we’ve heard nothing :(

I WANTS BG&E NOW KTHANXBAI.

13. The Hindle

I know dude sucks doesnt it. Some proof of concept footage got leaked before E3 so at least they are playing around with ideas. You just got to hope lol

14. Gekidami

That trailer was ‘leaked’ though. And even then never confirmed as real.

15. Hunam

I thought that little vignette of them sitting on the car in the desert was shown by Ubi and Ubi days?

I could be wrong though.

16. Hunam

Just checked the trailer was shown at ubidays in may 2008.

I bet they’ve bloody cancelled it though.

Pat, go ask them about BG&E2… I’ll give you a kiss.

17. The Hindle

Yea Pat please do ill give you a big hug

18. The Hindle

Geki

It was confirmed as by a Ubisoft marketing guy, he just said they were playing around with ideas and the game may or may not happen

19. Hunam

Do you know what they are playing about with!?

OUR HEARTS GOD DAMN IT.

20. The Hindle

I know god dam it. I mean Ubisoft have possibly the greatest female character of all time in a videogame with Jade yet they waste the potential grr

21. Hunam

Whats funny is that when you said Jade the first thing I though of was Jade Raymond, I miss her too.

22. Patrick Garratt

Updated.

23. The Hindle

Hey Hunam according to BG&E’s wiki page they say development is ongoing and have a link to back it up as well. Its a french website that the link takes you too

24. Patrick Garratt

They’re doing BG&E2 at Ubi Marseilles. I’ve got no idea what its status is, though.

25. Hunam

All I know is that the game isn’t in my Xbox/PS3/PC and that I am liable to burst into tears if the game in cancelled.

Burst in to tears of rage that is and then burn them to death.

26. JasperLoons

Surely this is just going to be a movie tie-in, and they haven’t actually abandoned the new storyline right?

27. theevilaires

These POP games are coming out of no where. We hear months of news about Assassins Creed stuff before the game even releases. When POP is being talked about its like the game is coming out in a couple of weeks :P

28. Blerk

Surprising! Although with the movie being tied to the Sands of Time series perhaps not so far out of the left-field.

I wonder if they’ll keep the graphical styling of the later game, though? They’d better not make the characters look like the actors from the film. Because that would be shit.