Mass Effect 2 PC gets system specs, basic DRM confirmed

Wednesday, 25th November 2009 12:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

masseffect22

BioWare just confirmed system specs for ME2, as well as detailing what sounds to be a very basic DRM check on the disc version.

The good stuff:

Digital Rights Management (DRM) – The boxed/retail PC version of Mass Effect 2 will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication. This is the same method as Dragon Age: Origins. Digital versions will use the retailers protection system.

PC MINIMUM System Requirements

• OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
  • Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
  • Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
  • Hard Drive = 15 GB
  • DVD ROM = 1x Speed
  • Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
  • Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
  • Input = Keyboard / Mouse
  • Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements

• Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
  • 2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
  • 2 GB RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
  • 100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
  • DirectX August 2008
  • NOTES: For the best results, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio cards. Laptop or mobile versions of the above supported video cards have not had extensive testing and may have driver or other performance issues. As such, they are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

It’s out early next year.

1. ybfelix

I was under the impression that the DRM-Devil internet people talked about does not include merely “a basic disc check”?

But apparently a lot of people doesn’t count Steam as a form of DRM so that’s quite confusing.

2. loki

PC boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!!!!!
    PC specs for Nerds only!
    PC port it is reason why i will buy only used copy for my Xbox 360

3. Hakkiz

Specs look reasonable. Can’t wait to play it.

4. blackdreamhunk

here is a really good link about pc gaming

I like how bio ware did dragon age by the way. I already have mass effect on pc.

5. Wonko

Uh, Xbox 360 controller support this time, please? I don’t want to play the console version when I can have better graphics, but I want to play not sitting in front of my monitor.

6. abbe

Loki Vs BDH, FIGHTO!

On a sidenote, mmmmmmmm Mass Effect 2…
    Cant wait for them to announce it on Steam so I can Pre-order it. :>

7. Phoenixblight

@Wonko

Bioware already stated they will be going the same direction as they did with the DAO. They will make the GUI to fit the platform it is being played on. So you don’t have to worry about that.

Edit: I misrread what you said. Then yes you will have to worry.

8. Dralen

They did such an amazing job on the PC version of Dragon Age, I really hope I can say the same for PC version of Mass Effect 2.

9. MushroomStamp

Wonko, I play ALL my PC games with 360 controller. Just use Xpadder, then you don’t have any issues. it’s easy peasy.

10. Uncontested

PC version for the win. cant wait.