Hirai – Current PSN service to remain free, subs for “premium content and services”

Thursday, 19th November 2009 14:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kazhirai

Stand down, soldiers. SCEE’s just sent us a Kaz Hirai quote which confirms that online PSN gameplay is to remain free.

The comment’s from a business meeting at which it was confirmed that subscriptions are on the way to PSN.

“SCE will further increase sales by offering users new entertainment through the combination of hardware, software, peripheral and PlayStation Network,” said the SCE boss.

“Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services.”

The internet went a little batshit ealirer today on seeing a slide from Sony’s presentation that said PSN is to get a “new revenue stream from subscription”.

Your play is free. You should watch out for the premium content though, wallet-guarders.

1. Michael O’Connor

I can see it now…

“Cross game chat, only $15.99 a month!”

2. Blerk

I wonder what ‘premium content’ entails, precisely?

For Microsoft it seems to mean ‘absolutely anything’. The tight-fisted wankers. :-D

3. Gekidami

Quore is ‘premium content’, same goes for themes and avatars you have to pay for..

4. Kaufer

Perhaps they are going to introduce a video streaming service to rival Netflix but only outside of US where netflix is non-existant.

And whatever happen to the PSP rental service? Haven’t heard anything about since E3.

5. reask

I see a slippery slope emerging here.
    Bit by bit more charges will be brought in imo.
    Mind you it must cost them a fortune to maintain the service free.

6. sennasnit

@Blerk
    lol

surely tight fisted wanking could be painful…

7. Anders

Nintendo next, then?

Not like that they have anything to charge for, but still…

8. bobmalooga

If you charge them…..They will leave…….Ease your pain……Get an xbox 360 !!

9. theevilaires

As long as I can still play free online with my friends and obtain online trophies then I’m satisfied. I could care less about cross game chat. Its a nice feature to have but I wouldn’t use it much.

10. OlderGamer

Tea hits it. Being realistic, so long as gameplay is free online … its going to be ok. But wait for it … xbLIVE free! To play games that it is. Both sides will likly have “premium” services. Honestly I could careless about Twitter, facebook, cross game chat, video cam chat, or most of the other BS they will label premium. However if they touch Netflix I will be upset. I was looking forward to having PS3 Netflix, while droping Gold Live(which is the only way I can get xb360 Netflix). I bet 10 to 1 that PS3 Netflix will be premium.
    I hate to tell Sony, well no I don’t, that if I had to pick what service to pay for(considering prices to be even or very close) PS3 looses that fight. Big time. I AM switching consoles in earnest this Feb. However if fees are involved i am staying on LIVE, it is hands down a better service(sorry that is just the facts as I see em.).
    Will be not so patiently awaiting more details on PSN subscriptions.

11. theevilaires

well like Blerk mentioned maybe it will be a download all you want game and movie service type sub. I hope so… I would hate to lose things we already had from the start to be charged for. And really people when you think about it in the long run is cross game chat really that important.

The only time I ever really wanted it so badly was when MGS4 came out so me and my friend could scream like little girls at how awesome the game was to get that same excited feeling when we were back in our school days playing MGS1 in the same room.

If you want to scream for a feature, scream for in game music being built right into the XMB OS. It’s a damn shame I had to play GTA4 without listening to any music because the in game stations SUCKED…except for that hip hop Russian song. Bang bang woochie woochie bang bang, lol it’s something like that :D

12. reask

Just a question on the cross chat thing.
    If I am playing say special ops on co-op on PSN can I have a conservation with my partner?

Just like the other night I was playing it and my partner was on the heli gunship.
    He would say to me wait till I clear the area before moving and when we were doing the snow level I would say I will take the dog and you take your man.
    Things like that.
    can You do that on PSN?

13. OrphanageExplosion

I subscribe to Qore to get the playable demos. The actual show is bloody awful. I’d rather the money went to Sony rather than line Future’s pockets in all honesty.

14. theevilaires

reask said: Just a question on the cross chat thing.

Of course you can in any game, not just COD. You’re trying to be a smart ass…I think :D The only thing PSN won’t allow you to do is talk to another person who is playing a different game. And why would they really? I don’t want to talk to anyone while trying to get that late bomber trophy in SSHD while there’s a fucking team death match from MW2 going on in my ear and my friend screaming this game is fucking awesome come play.

15. reask

theevilaires said:

I genuinely wasn’t been smart tea.
    I know very little about on line on 360 let alone PS3 and that’s the truth.
    I didn’t even know you could do that on the 360. :
    I pay for live but seldom play on line.

16. NoxNoctisUmbra

Premium or not, you can still play for FREE ONLINE! Xbox Microsoft team really has to do the same or else they are the duchebags of the industry.. oh wait they already are!

17. mojo

xmb based in game music wount happen, as microsoft is holding the patent. afaik

TEA wrote: “I would hate to lose things we already had from the start to be charged for.”

i honestly cant see this happen..
    that would be a catastrophic PR desaster. but regardless, i dont think they would do taht.

18. Mike

9 times out of 10, you get what you pay for.