Datel unhappy about 360 third-party memory unit barring

Wednesday, 21st October 2009 12:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

360mu

Datel’s expressed “disappointment” at Microsoft’s decision to disallow use of third-party 360 memory units in the console’s November software update.

“We are following this issue and awaiting the outcome like everyone else,” a rep told CVG.

“If the Major Nelson blog is to be taken at face value then we’re disappointed to see that Microsoft are taking these steps to prevent customers from exercising their freedom of choice.

“Everyone is looking for ways to make their cash go further at the moment and we believe that Max Memory offers a good value, high capacity, alternative to the official Memory Unit.”

Major Nelson said earlier this week that only Microsoft memory units will be supported after the update goes live.

1. pracer

MS has been making some lame brain moves as of late.

2. Grimrita

Surely this is against competition rules?

3. No_PUDding

What the fuck are you prats wasting comments on real articles for today? HUH!?

4. BillyBatts

Why on earth would you choose to do that? Way to piss off your own customers.

5. freedoms_stain

There have always been 3rd party memory cards as long as consoles have been using them, why are MS rocking the boat now?

6. pracer

So MS can charge higher prices for their own shit of course.

7. Doomsayer

Didnt Sony block 3rd party controllers with 3.0 ?

8. BeastModeYMOB

Nope 3rd party controllers work with 3.0

9. BeastModeYMOB

Way to go shitbox

10. pracer

I guess there are two ways to look at this”
    On one side should 3rd parties be allow to leach off of someone elses platform? After games need a liscence, what makes controllers and mem cards any different?
    On the other side it seems that MS is trying to gain control over 3rd parties, routing out lesser expensive, competeion, thus gaining a Monopoly over the acesories sold for said system.

There is a legal hair to be split here. I don’t which is right which is wrong.

I can say that most 3rd party controllers suck. Most break and wear out easily, and are cheaply constructed. The wheels are a joke. Even the 3rd party wireless adpator internet thingie is a piece of shit. If a consumer buys a system, and buys a 3rd party controller and wireless adpator at the sametime and the adaptor and controller easily break it could make the system look bad. I think this issue might relate to Walmart more then anything else because at my local Walmarts, you can’t buy official controllers/adaptor/mem cards on the shelf. they ONLY offer 3rd party stuff. Simply said the profit margins are higher. I know gamestop deals in 3rd party stuff too. But Walmart is the nations biggest store/gameseller(believe it or not).

Again I can see two sides to this. And again the headline is eye catching to say the least. I know right now this only applies to Mem cards, but see it in the wider spectrum. I think MS(maybe even Sony/Nintendo) will be eyeing other 3rd party made stuff down the road.
    My only fear is that if they remove the cheap ass products from 3rd parties, does that give them the green light to increase the price of their own stuff, seing as how there is no competition in the market place?

11. freedoms_stain

Can you hear that? It’s the sound of the European Commission’s hounds baying for some more MS blood.

You’d think they’d learn.

12. Bulk Slash

This is quite an odd move for MS to take. Makes me wonder if maybe there is some security hole in the Datel memory cards that could be exploited…

Having said that, who would buy a memory card for their Xbox? If you bought an Arcade you’d get one with your system and if you bought a better model you’ve got a portable hard drive. I don’t really see the need to sell additional memory sticks on the 360 except for replacements for when you break one.

13. BeastModeYMOB

I can save all my info on my ipod from the ps3.

14. theevilaires

lol its M$ people why are you so surprise. They charge you $50 a year to play peer 2 peer games. LMAO! The last time I used a peer 2 peer service I payed a big whooping $0 ….SAW 1 and 2 were good BTW :D

15. freedoms_stain

Re: 3rd party controllers. Although most I’ve had have been pure shite, the best controller I even had (or have even) was (is) a logitech wireless controller for the ps2.

It’s amazing.

16. theevilaires

I have to agree with Freedom and also the one for xbox wasn’t bad either but the PS2 logitech controller was better than the DS2 because it was wireless :D

17. BeastModeYMOB

Yea logitech is a really good brand I think. I have a logitech bluetooth (wireless) keyboard and it works fine. Shit the logitech’s for my ps2 still work like new.

18. McLovin85

I love how this move comes from MS considering they pride themselves on their ‘you can choose to have things with ur Xbox, we don’t force it upon u like PS3′ slogan. People will soon realise that PS3 is becoming great value for money. (Although i always kind of thought it was after the first price drop).

19. GwynbleiddiuM

Typical monopolist Micro$oft . After this they will come up with an idea of how they can make exclusive slave like costumers, The one that can only purchase their products and if they get something else instead of Microsoft labeled anything they either sue them or die trying…

They want everything for themselves and themselves only, they want to control everything and this way they can charge people as much as they want for any quality they would like to present like their early 360s which so many people suffered from.

PS: good thing they haven’t find a way to ban Mozilla Firefox yet!

20. Retroid

The only non-licensed memory cards I’m aware of for 360 are the Datel ones which allow you to swap put mini-SD cards – which just screams SECURITY HOLE to me.

21. pracer

Props to Logitech. Spot on.