Sakaguchi confirms new project at Mistwalker, it’s at the “finishing stage”

Monday, 19th October 2009 15:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sakaguchi

Mistwalker boss and creator of the Final Fantasy series Hironobu Sakaguchi has confirmed that a new project is in development at the studio, further adding that it could be complete.

He left this cryptic post on his blog:

“Am I an “idle man”, I wonder? (^^;
Well, I am just trying to pastime…
I am working hard on a new project.
Now we are being rushed into the “finishing” stage.
No matter what, I will make it really good…. “

It’s the first we have formally heard of anything official from the studio since their last project Cry On was canned last Christmas.

Thanks, RPG Site.

1. Len

Cryptic…cough…cryptic…

2. mescalineeyes

good god, this is almost worse than those announcements of announcements.
    So far, everything he did this gen was crap though.

3. Blerk

Not forced to be a 360 project, of course. :-)

4. Herlock

Wii stuff maybe.

5. Blerk

DS, for sure. Everything is these days.

6. Phoenixblight

Have to agree most of his RPGs since he had left Square has been rather blah

7. killercow

Well i liked the story of lost odyssey. Might just be me though.

8. pracer

Either DS or PSP. outside shot at being WiiWare or even further outside shot of being psn/xbla game. But prolly DS.

9. Phoenixblight

I liked the story of Lost Odyssey aswell the Gampeplay and system was just poorly thought out.

10. killercow

@9 well too classic maybe

11. Psychotext

As others have said, sadly this will probably be something on the DS.

12. loki

it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LO2 or Blue Dragon 2 please

13. DaMan

meh, Mistwalker games bore me to death.

14. pracer

@ DeMan

Me too, I could say the same for most jrpgs at this point. I lost interest once the systems got powerfull enough to draw the art styles in such a way that the look and feel of the games became very off putting. And the stories are recycled and cliched to a point where the games have become formula driven and predictable.

I am not looking forward to the new FF either. I would rather play Dragon Age: Origins. Too bad so many JP devs are stuck in the same rutts.

15. ziggy

Well I like it. I like the guy and all his games. I like the fact that he doesn’t “evolve” to something he is not. I like charisma, you don’t change yours to match a trend.
    Give me LO2 or BD2, I’ll buy 2 (two) copies, no bullshit, I will!

16. DaMan

pracer – well, I don’t like their games because of the gameplay. I ‘ve always played jrpgs both for battles and plot, however if the story is non existent/crap I can still enjoy the battles, but I can’t bring myself to spend 50 hours on gameplay that makes me want to turn off my monitor, just to see some cut scenes now and then. and yeah, I don’t expect anything from FFXIII or VersusXIII either.

and no shit, these games sure went downhill since early 2000s. last jrpg that had both awesome story and gameplay was Shadow Hearts.

ahem, didn’t want to piss off anyone btw.

17. Phoenixblight

Jrpgs have been crapping out lately and if Square can’t pull it off with FFXIII and Versus, Hell I would be ecstatic for a Console KH. Anyways if FFXIII doesn’t deliver whats been promised it will be the final nail in the coffin for Jrpgs.

18. bluemanrule

Lost Odyssey was a great game. It’s time that the game finally became a series. “LO2 or Blue Dragon 2 please” – I second this motion.

19. cachucha

I’ll buy either of both, if they learned from their errors even better ^^