Broussard: Uncharted series “on par” with Half-Life

Monday, 19th October 2009 18:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

uncharted23

3D Realms’ George Broussard has pinned Naughty Dog’s Uncharted series up with the very best after playing the heavily-hyped second game.

“Amazing single player experiences,” he said, writing on the Shack forums.

“Nearly, if not, on par with Half-Life 1/2. I haven’t felt this giddy over a game series since Half-Life.

“This is epic badassery right here. Believe the hype.”

Uncharted 2 is on the verge of history, still being listed as the highest-rated PS3 exclusive of all time on Metacritic at 96 percent.

1. mescalineeyes

ok, this is when I think it is legitimate to call the game overrated.

I mean, yeah, it’s fuck awesome, but Half Life 1 at it’s time was much, much, much more … awesome, for the lack of a better word.

2. Gamoc

I’d say it’s a fuck load better, but I never really liked Half Life. And yes, I played both games as they come out and years later, and didn’t really like them either time.

3. freedoms_stain

The 1st Uncharted completely passed me by unnoticed, Half Life on the other hand left ripples that will be felt for generations and remembered as an all time classic for decades.

4. theevilaires

freedoms_stain said: The 1st Uncharted completely passed me by unnoticed

thats because xbots were doing every thing in their power to keep it from being recognize as great

5. Bulk Slash

I’ve been hearing so much unabashed praise for this game I’m planning on buying the Uncharted 2 bundle with 250GB PS3 soon. So it better not be overrated as I can’t really afford a PS3 at the moment….

6. mojo

make.believe
    !

7. Quak0r

While the Uncharted series are awesome games, the Half Life series spawned off Counter Strike, Day of Defeat and many other great projects. So yeah… I’m sorry but they’re not “on par” with each other :)

8. The Hindle

Dam right in terms of story, and characters, and gameplay. In terms of thier respected genres they are both at top of thier game

9. onyxbox

Uncharted starts off slow but picks up about 30% in and boy does it find it’s stride… amazing game and I have to agree… I think it’s the best single player game I’ve ever played… the game deserves to clean up at the awards this year.

10. DaMan

Duke Nukem Forever exclusive for PS3 in 2020!

11. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry, but…

12. Michael O'Connor

You Gotta love how people can pin one of the most well produced, visually amazing, consistently well executed and critically acclaimed game of this generation as “overrated.”

*rolls eyes and laughs*

Uncharted 2 has set a new benchmark for gaming can be. And it will be remembered for it decades from now, in the same hallowed breaths as Pac-Man.

13. cachucha

Hahahah please

14. Dralen

Never played the first half-life, but I bought Half-Life 2 on release and that had an epic story driven experience. I do agree that Uncharted 1+2 definitely had an a brilliant story too.

15. Wakkum

Yeah, give me Uncharted anyday. Never liked Half-Life 1 and 2. Played them both in the months after their release and just…no. Never even finished HL2.

Uncharted on the other hand!

16. mescalineeyes

Uncharted 2 has set a new benchmark for gaming can be.

so you are telling me, that gaming at it’s peak is a visually gorgeous game starring an american everyman blasting his way through various exotic locations?
    that’s sad for the medium.

17. Gamoc

eyes, please play the games properly before you comment on them, because you either haven’t or are actually blind, deaf and dumb.

18. pracer

Maybe because so many games in recent memory are bland and ho-hum that a decent one comes along and it stands tall. But compare it to Half-life? Gimmie a break.

@16 Beats Space Marines.

@12 I think your overstating it a tad, my friend. Graphics and cut scenes don’t a great game make. And as for PacMan It had nether. It was rock solid gameplay. No doubt that UC2 has touched a lot of people. Prolly will come away with GOTY. But … not in the same league as PacMan, Tetris, Mario or Sonic. I would say that Crash was a bigger and more important hit.

19. Gamoc

20. pracer

Not really Gamoc.

All you see in my post is that I don’t love UC2 as much as you :P

21. Michael O'Connor

“Graphics and cut scenes don’t a great game make.”

If all you see is nice graphics and cut scenes in Uncharted 2, well… you’re kinda missing 90% of the picture…

The quality of the game has a hell of a lot more to do with its graphics and cutscenes, though the fact that those are exceptional certainly helps.

The game’s production values are through the roof, and this shows through the gameplay as much as anything else. The gameplay is exceptionally fluid and refined to within an inch of its life. The immersion in the game-world is almost completely unmatched. And beyond the amazing single play world, the game also possesses a robust and very polished multi-player mode.

Show me *one* game with as good pacing and as much polish and Uncharted 2 has. It’s a defining benchmark for quality in *every* single layer of its construction.

“Pacman, Tetris, Mario and Sonic. All games that I wouldn’t play for longer than 10 minutes. Funny that, isn’t it?”

Not really. That just says you’re too young and ignorant to have any real appreciation for gaming’s history or for solid gameplay mechanics.

That, or a short attention span.

22. SticKboy

This actually makes me want to go out and play Half-Life 2 (I never made it past the first level).

23. Eregol

@mesca
    That’s a very short sighted view of the game really.
    Nathan Drake is far from an American everyman.
    He has been infused with a lot more personality than any other videogame protagonist in this generation.

I don’t like FPS games, I didn’t like Half Life, and I didn’t like Half Life 2.
    Uncharted was great, Uncharted 2 is better.

I wish people would actually spend time playing games before they dismiss them.
    I would never dismiss a Halo game just because it’s on another console and I haven’t played it. As I stated, I don’t like FPS games, so I dislike Killzone as well as Halo.

24. The Hindle

Anyone noticed that when any says something good about the Ps3, Pracer is always here to play it down yet i dont hear you having a go at the 360. Uc 2 is an amazing game, fair enough if you dont like it Pracer i doubt youve even played it tbh and we get your point you dont like it so why comment on news stories on Uc2 if youre just going to criticise it all the time