Blockbuster to close up to 960 stores by 2010 year-end

Wednesday, 16th September 2009 11:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

blockbuster

Blockbusters is to close between 810-960 stores, the company confirmed in an SEC filing yesterday, in an effort “to improve four-wall profitability.”

The games and video retailer will close the stores by the end of 2010.

It’s not all bad, though. Sort of.

“All these stores are candidate stores,” said spokesperson Randy Hargrove.

“Although we may in fact close that many stores, if we can renegotiate leases or remodel stores to make them more profitable, that number might go down.”

Lots more detail on CNET.

1. Roybott

I’m just amazed that Blockbuster is still open at all…

Honestly when was the last time someone on here went to a blockbuster store and rented a film?

2. Patrick Garratt

Literally years ago.

3. Phoenixblight

Well with Redbox (think Vendoring machine that lets you rent a movie for 1$) and the internet and Netflix which is a subscription to rent whatever movies. It is inevitable surprised Blockbuster and Hollywood Video are still surviving.

4. frostquake

I watch Netflix on my Xbox 360 and Redbox! Blockbuster you out right SUCK…I would never use you

5. Blerk

Our Blockbuster is tiny and is really inconvenient to reach. And has no parking. So…. ages.

6. pracer

This story is a preview of the video game industry in ten years. Instead of Blockbuster it will be Gamestop and GAME. Game sales are going to do one of two things: Go digital downloads, or go CLOUD style. I am betting on CLOUD based subscription based services that will work a lot like Netflix.
    The real failure of stores like Blockbuster was their lack of foresight to be able to see the writting on the wall and roll with the changes. No reason that instead of Netflix streaming on my xb360, it could have been Blockbuster. But their loss. If the major game stores don’t position themself to do the CLOUD or DD and soon, then they will suffer the same fate as Blockbuster.

7. freedoms_stain

I haven’t stepped foot in any rental place since before my teens.

8. theevilaires

I was in one yesterday trying to rent COD4 for xbox360 :) sorry but I’m not going to buy it when I have it for PS3 and 15 days left of my free 1 month live sub :P

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

RIP Blockbuster/Hollywood videos. You’re shit was way over priced anyway.

10. Jadeskye

Blockbuster is still open?! holy crap!