Rolling Stone and Pink Floyd’s Mason warn off music games

Tuesday, 8th September 2009 09:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

beatlesrockband

Rock Band’s bad. Rolling Stone Bill Wyman and Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason say it stops people learning how to actually play musical instruments.

“It encourages kids not to learn, that’s the trouble,” Wyman told the BBC.

“It makes less and less people dedicated to really get down and learn an instrument. I think is a pity so I’m not really keen on that kind of stuff.”

Mason described the likes of Rock Band and Guitar Hero as “interesting new developments,” but added:

“It irritates me having watched my kids do it – if they spent as much time practising the guitar as learning how to press the buttons they’d be damn good by now.”

We’re saying nothing. You’ll be able to press buttons along to Beatles songs in return for hundreds of pounds tomorrow, don’t forget.

1. Gadzooks!

Exactly the opposite is true. Guitar and drum tutoring is experiencing a massive increase off the back of RB and GH.

Old folk should stick to commenting on flannel, pipe tobacco and how everything was better in ‘their day’.

2. Patrick Garratt

Is that true?

3. Hero of Canton

Yep, that is true – I’ve heard that a few times. A lot of people are mastering Expert and wanting to move onto the next level. Indeed, some people claim the drumming is actually very good training, as it’s far closer to the real thing than the guitar is.

4. Patrick Garratt

I played Rock Band once in my life ever. My mate couldn’t use the guitar because he plays a lot and he says it’s confusing because it’s nothing like the real thing. He enjoyed playing the drums, though, as it’s very similar to the real deal, he said.

5. cachucha

yes, im ok guitar player and i can play the game with no problem, but i have tons of musician friends having problems following the rythm and music in the game, since they are actually used to play real notes and strum real charts lol..
    but yeah drums actually helps for rl drums duh

6. JonFE

Pat, you may want to include Bill Wyman to this article’s title, because having only Nick Mason there is kind of confusing :)

7. Patrick Garratt

Well, I can’t call Mason a “Pink Floyd” because that doesn’t make sense, so I had to add his name despite the fact I wanted to leave it out in the name of conciseness. If I add Wyman’s name, the headline will be overly long. It’s a tightrope I walk.

8. Harry

My experience (especially on poor Guitar Hero notation) that the game versions of songs are often a lot harder than really playing on guitar.

Pat – you could drop the “pink”, we all know who the “floyd” are. :)

9. Patrick Garratt

I can’t take that chance.

10. Freek

File this one under “old people not understanding it”.

It’s not about learning music, it’s about a different way of experiencing it/being entertained.

And with Rockband/Guitar Hero being interactive, there’s a hell of lot more chance of somebody being inspired to actually learn it for real, then just passively listening to music.

11. rrod360lol

“Do they get upset when people listen do their CD’s? As if that time would be better spent learning to play their music?”

Well put Freek…

12. Wakkum

In other news: Schumacher says racinggames are ‘way different’ from real racing and says it makes a lot of people not want to crash their cars into brick walls. Wallbuilders everywhere am disappoint.

13. Captain Fruitloop

My son’s bought, and is learning to play, an acoustic guitar as a direct result of getting into Guitar Hero.

Shut up, Wyman. You’ve no idea what you’re talking about.

14. NiceFellow

This is for the millions of us who will never be decent or in a real band or simply don’t play an instrument but want a game to give us the feeling we are – much as most games impart an experience not undertaken in real life.

Those who are serious about making it in music will be using real instruments.

If anything these games are promoting learning the instrument, and no doubt more people are taking lessons as a result.

So I doubt the games are going to erode music somehow, they’re more for those who don’t play.

I will say the guitar is a pure game and pretty much useless if you really want to play the guitar, however the drums are clearly the same as practicing hitting anything with sticks.

15. Harry

Mason’s comments are doubly odd given how much technology Pink Floyd would use, they were at the cutting edge of trying every bit of music-making tech they could get their hands on.

16. pleasant_cabbage

Not so fast Captain Fruitloop…
    Bill Wyman has intimate knowledge and experience of what 13 year olds want to play with. Strangely though, he thought it was his gnarled old todger.

As you were. ;)

17. The_Deleted

Jesus H. Corbett I wish to fuck these muso’s would shut the fuck up. You may as well say playing PGR puts people off driving or or violent games make people sociopaths. If someone wants to play an instrument they will. What puts me of is moaning fucking aged rockers pissing about the state of music.
    Besides have you heard some of the shite they knock out today. Some of these people should only be allowed near toy guitars.

18. Johnny Cullen

I can actually vouch for what Gadzooks is saying… somewhat.

The standard Rock Band and Guitar Hero games have done nothing to me to learn instruments.

But with Beatles, its actually made me interested in learning guitar or bass like a proper Colin Greenwood.