No God of War remakes for Europe in 2009

Wednesday, 2nd September 2009 18:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

godofwar

Whoops. SCEE’s just confirmed to VG247 that God of War I and II won’t release for PS3 in Europe this year.

Said a rep in a statement:

“We are currently looking into options to bring God of War I and II to SCEE consumers on PS3; however it will not be possible to release the games this calendar year. We will provide further information in due course.”

The remakes, hitting American PS3s as part of a pre-Christmas God of War Collection, are being handled by Sony Santa Monica. The games are totally remastered, run at 720p and support Trophies.

Unlucky, Europe. Still. Region-free, eh?

1. Gekidami

Now ask SCEA if the game(s) will be region-free lol.

2. Patrick Garratt

Will do. I’ll ask Steph now.

3. Razor

I wasn’t really paying attention back then, but didn’t SCEA and SCEE have a big feud circa 04/5 that ultimately saw GOW1 criminaly under advertised in Europe back in ’05?

Is this payback by SCEA? :)

I love conspiracy theories…

4. clynchehaun

Apparently the games themselves won’t really but upgraded, just up-scanned. Still stoked though…

5. Stephany Nunneley

Sent a mail off to SCEA to check on region free. *crosses fingers*

6. Herlock

@Stephany Nunneley
    Yu kidding right ?
    All PS3 games are region free.

7. JesteR

Why wouldnt it be region free? Its Sony and so far all games from Sony were region free. I only know about one game at all thats not region free for the PS3.

8. Gekidami

Well yeah, they’re not remakes but just the original games remastered, they’ll be no new areas, enemies, or bosses.

9. Mike

I thought every PS3 game was region free by default. It’s only Blu Ray films that aren’t.

10. Phoenixblight

I wasn’t expecting it to be completely remade just more or less playable on the Ps3 and in HD format.

11. Gekidami

Quite alot of blu ray films are region free to now.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

All Sony PS3 games are region free. That’s how we were able to play the FFXIII Japan demo here in the states.

13. Patrick Garratt

We have to check. If we don’t check, we can’t be sure. If we can’t be sure, we can’t be sure. We have to be sure.

14. Stephany Nunneley

What Strauss said, er um, I mean Pat. :-D

15. Patrick Garratt

:P

16. Phoenixblight

Sony could be dicks and make this one game not region free and when you assume you just make an ASS out of U and ME

17. Johnny Cullen

Oh Steph.

I LOLed XD

18. Freek

So what is their contrived exuse? The games are all done, rated, translated and have all the manuals in a million languages.
    But we still can’t launch it.

SCEE, being useless since 1994.

19. Hunam

SCEE have been the bane of my existence since 97.

20. DrDamn

@JesteR
    Which game isn’t region free? Stranglehold was.

21. The_Deleted

PlayAsia.com has it listed as ‘No Region Locking’
    Won’t ship to the EU, though.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Official GOW Collectors Edition box art revealed IGN link:

23. Komond_Deckard

Well, I will think possitive: it will cost me less money even adding shipping costs.

Anyway, I would prefer them to say some yes or no at all, the bad thing about this is if I wait for the European it may won’t be released, and when I realized it’s not released, maybe it has sold out in USA. I wouldn’t have problems too if they say “in Europe it will came in the Collector’s with GoW III”, it’t not a problem of having it soon, just having it whenever. I wouldn’t have problem with a later (but solid) release.

I hope it has Spanish subtitles, I won’t have problems with English ones but it would be more comfortable.

24. Gizkata

The only reason to get my PS3 back out and they do this?

Europe gets all the shit from Sony.

25. yen10

You can just purchase it and have it shipped internationally, no? If not, when I was studying abroad, I used to use a company called Shipito to forward all my purchases to me when the retailer did not ship internationally. The cost to do it is so cheap and you don’t spend too much more than you normally would on international shipping. It is a very handy service. Check out their website.