PSP Go battery removal a no-go because of piracy

Tuesday, 1st September 2009 01:52 GMT By Nathan Grayson

pspgo3

Sony couldn’t topple pirates with firmware, so the console-maker’s taking things to the next logical level with an all-out hardware based assault. The target: the PSP Go’s battery.

“You won’t be able to rip your games and play them on the system, the firmware precludes that,” Sony’s John Koller told PlayStation Insider. “There’s no external battery, so there’s a number of protections put into place on the system.”

See, before, pirates were able to wrestle control of the platform away from Sony with something known as the Pandora Battery. Without the ability to install it, however, pirates will have a much harder time cracking the PSP Go. Or at least, that’s the hope.

Sony’s playing hardball now. It’s your move, pirates.

1. Yoshi

YARRRR!

2. Cort

A small price to pay to cause the thieves and leeches some trouble.

3. blackdreamhunk

funny they don’t give out console pircay numbers. From what I hear the nintemdo wii and dsi pircay numbers is in the billions.

I bet pircay on consoles are like 2 to 3 billion by now, that is just the wii.

4. Galactic_Barret

You want to know PS3 piracy numbers? 0%. Hasn’t been cracked yet, and modders don’t believe it will be anytime soon.

5. Psychotext

Of course, by removing Other OS from the slim they’ve now given bored hackers all the excuse they need to have a go at it.

6. blackdreamhunk

ps3 is being priated as we speak. I am sure now that the price has drop it will be as big as the wii and dsi soon too.

7. theevilaires

would be sweet if they could hack the ps3. i want mkv files so bad

8. theevilaires

fw 3.00 is live and the xmb is shit now. the text size are too big. they fucked the ps3 up

9. theevilaires

omg the friends list looks like shit now. im so pissed

10. DarkElfa

Chances are they haven’t hacked the PS3 for the same reason they don’t write viruses for the Mac.

11. SticKboy

@ DarkElfa: ZING!

12. Eris

Would be nice if this actually WAS a PlayStation Insider story and it wasn’t just something that site pulled out of a three month old Ars Technica interview, and then didn’t bother attributing the quote.

13. Psychotext

@Jonarob: It’s called PS3 Media Server.

14. freedoms_stain

Darkelfa, plenty of viruses for Macs out there actually.

The non-removable battery effectively puts a usable lifetime restriction on the device that should be a massive no-no on a rechargeable battery. Fuck knows how the media player industry has been getting away with it.

15. DrDamn

@freedoms_stain
    Care to name some that affect OSX and aren’t trojans where you have to enter your password to install them?

16. Psychotext

Like this DrDamn?

17. freedoms_stain

I couldn’t name a Windows virus that matched those requirements either, but the claim that Mac OS is impervious to viruses is a false one that even Apple themselves concede.

18. DrDamn

I didn’t say it was impervious – you said there were plenty though.

@Psychotext
    That’s one exploit where you need certain options checked – it’s not specifically a virus in itself. Aside from that what you can do is limited to the user and the system is still protected.

19. Psychotext

Pretty much like every “virus” on modern Windows machines then? Unless you’re the sort of person that turns off UAC and then complains when your machine gets owned that is.

20. DrDamn

@Psychotext
    My point was that the article was about a company discovering and making known an exploit which could be used – but not that it is actually being used as a virus by anybody. So technically not a virus but a technique a virus could have used.

One exploit still doesn’t = plenty of viruses.

21. Psychotext

@DrDamn

I don’t agree with the statement that there are plenty of them… but they do exist. You seemed to indicate that there weren’t any.

22. DrDamn

Nah it was just the “plenty” I disagreed with.

I know there have been known exploits and I’ve heard of stuff embedded in pirated copies of iLife/iWork. If there are plenty I’d like to know about them so I can take more appropriate precautions if needed. As it is I rely on scheduled system updates and being sensible about what I run. I’ve not had any problems. Conversely I’ve had plenty of issues on PC’s doing similar stuff and with virus “protection” running.

23. z123