Facebook and Twitter on 360 is for Gold Members only

Thursday, 27th August 2009 15:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

twitter

In probably the most obvious announcement of the day, Microsoft has confirmed that Facebook and Twitter will only be available on Xbox 360 for Gold Members.

This bit of news was slapped in with the price cut announcement.

“Xbox LIVE Gold Membership will be required for Twitter and Facebook when they are available, and is required for Netflix. Games, media content and Netflix membership are sold separately; a hard drive is required for storage,” Microsoft’s press release reads.

Both FB and Twitter are expected to land on the service this fall along with Last.fm.

Via GameZine.

1. reask

What is the advantage of FB on 360.
    I have a fb account already.
    Does it mean I have to go to that silly keyboard to type me message.
    Also will you be able to use it from your dashboard.
    I am not stupid btw, just 40 something. :)

2. Eregol

So, a service that is free on pc, (and PS3 thanks to the web browser) you need to pay for an Xbox subscription for?

Granted there’s all the other stuff, but why isn’t it available for all memebrs?

3. Redh3lix

I dont even own an XBox and this annoys me. Such a service should be available to all XBox users tbfh.

4. Robo_1

Why don’t they just call silver users: tramp status and have done with it. Their continued gimping of features for non-gold users is as likely to push people towards Sony’s free option as much as it is going to increase their own gold sign up.

5. Dannybuoy

that shit is played out

6. Eregol

No doubt that MS are making some very strange announcements today.

Are they feeling alright?

7. reask

Robo said.

No chance Robo.
    I mean Gold is about 1 Euro a week for gods sake.
    For that you get one hell of a service.
    Anyone who complains about that are just jealous Sony fans imo.
    I mean all you ever hear is, well PSN is free.
    So what. I have no problem paying 1 Euro a week and I hardly ever play on-line.

8. Redh3lix

@ reask, even as a PS3 owner I agree that 1 Euro is bugger all and the fact the LIVE service is excellent (from what I hear). I find it annoying that the above functionality is not only free on the PS3 browser and PC browser (such as PC users using Microsoft’s own browser, IE and using Microsofts own operating system)…. they’re simply putting two fingers up at Silver users as Robo_1 states.

9. reask

Maybe they are trying to persuade more people to go gold Red.
    I know the demos are delayed sometimes for silver as well.

10. Redh3lix

This article needs an update:

11. reask

You might be better posting that one in news as well Red.
    Although he never reads mine. ;)

12. Robo_1

@reask (the below isn’t directed at you particularly, just some thoughts about the whole PSN/Live thing I’ve had for a while, which your mail kind of prompted me to write ; ) )

“Anyone who complains about that are just jealous Sony fans imo.”

Sure Live has a few nice features over PSN, but anyone propping up MS’s continued position of gimping silver users in order to get them to upgrade to gold is an MS apologist, and deserves to be called out as such. I mean delaying demos for silver users – it’s spiteful more than anything else.

I spent two hours last night on the Home Buzz space with my gf, all free of charge, that in addition to a perfectly competent online service and feature set… for nothing. I mean credit where it’s due, sure I’d like the PSN to support cross game chat etc. but it’s not exactly a deal breaker, and I really do think Sony deserve recognition for providing their online services and features for free.

None of that is to take anything away from the accomplishments of Live, but lets not go patting MS on the back for restricting these type of fringe features from their non-paying users.

Anyway, 50 euros isn’t a great sum by any means, but it’s still going to be an extra chunk coming out of your account every year, and if you want to continue enjoying the online elements of the games you’ve bought and will continue to buy, you’re locked into this service. After a ten year cycle, you’ll have spent 500 euros on Live! Sure, for some people the few extra social features of Live will make the outlay well worth it, but for people who just want to access demos on time or use things like Twitter etc. it’s hardly value for money.

13. endgame

oh look, another service that console users have to pay for. how fun. :)

14. reask

@Robo.
    I certainly agree it would be better if it was free.
    Kudos to Sony in that respect.

15. theevilaires

they are free services on a pc WTF? LMAO how the M$ defender isn’t posting on this article :P ….yet

16. Dralen

I stopped paying for this service several months ago and i continue to do so, when i can get everything they provide on xbox 360 for free on pc.

17. fearmonkey

Facebook and Twitter just don’t matter to me that much. I would rather have direct access to Hulu, Youtube, Pandora, and others. Last.Fm is the only one I can see myself really caring about.
    Thank god for Playon media center, as It gives console owners so much if they have a decent PC to run it on.