Kitase “aiming” for FFXIII 360 to ship on 3 DVDs

Thursday, 20th August 2009 12:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii

The 360 version of FFXIII will ship on multiple DVDs, producer Yoshinori Kitase confirmed to VG247 at GamesCom today.

“This is not the final count as we’re still working on it, but we’re aiming for about three discs for the Xbox 360 version,” said the developer.

Kitase went on to assure that the two versions will be practically identical, although he did concede that there are likely to be “subtle differences” between the two.

“The 360 version and the PS3 version should be pretty much equal, both in terms of content and the visuals as well,” he added.

“Since the hardware is different, there might be some subtle differences if you compare screenshots side by side, but the team’s being very careful about the compression of the data and the visuals, so that it’s exactly the same on both.”

FFXIII releases this winter in Japan and next year in the US and Europe.

1. Blerk

In his interview with 1Up he said that the 360 version is 70% done and that the Japanese PS3 version is 90% done. So theoretically they should manage to make their ’2009′ Japanese release. On paper.

2. theevilaires

Shipping at the same time what utter bullshit man.

3. Spiral

4. theevilaires

Because M$ paid them to release day and date. You cannot tell me the PS3 ver shouldn’t be superior in all ways. If this game is 100% identical I will be pissed because they have lied and they aren’t getting max performance out of the PS3 like they should be trying to. and those damn cutscenes better be 1080p.

5. Tonka

MSkilledFFlol

6. Razor

Don’t blame MS…blame Square for agreeing to it.

7. Michael O'Connor

“Bit odd. If you have the extra space why not use it? It’s not like they’ll get a discount on the Blu-Ray discs for the space they save.”

They *will* use it.

3 large capacity DVDs are about the same size as a single-layer Blu-ray. You’d only need a fourth DVD if you managed to *completely* fill up the capacity of a Blu-ray, or if there’s a lot of duplicate data on the DVDs.

“Because M$ paid them to release day and date. You cannot tell me the PS3 ver shouldn’t be superior in all ways. If this game is 100% identical I will be pissed because they have lied and they aren’t getting max performance out of the PS3 like they should be trying to.

“and those damn cutscenes better be 1080p.”

If I recall correctly, it was announced a fair while back that the game (and cutscenes, by extension) would run in 720p. All official screenshots and videos have had a resolution equivalent to 720p anyway, right from the beginning.

Edit: Here we go: http://kotaku.com/5203271/cheap-bastards-can-play-final-fantasy-xiii-too

And there is little reason the PS3 should look superior, just because it’s on a higher capacity disc. Blu-ray might have more disc-space, but that means little seeing as the PS3 has less video RAM than the 360 for storing textures.

8. Jadeskye

I don’t mind multiple discs. If we 360 owners are lucky we’ll be able to take advantage of the installation capability to stop disc switching. if not, well the technique worked for lost odyssey and i enjoyed that.

9. Dralen

I’m definitely getting this for the PS3, I really don’t wanna sound like a fanboy, but I’ve grown up with the FF games on playstation. It would really feel like a betrayal to go away from the playstation for this game.

10. DaMan

I’ve grown up with the SNES Squaresoft games, guess I’m a 2x traitor =(

11. Psychotext

“I’m definitely getting this for the PS3″

Me too, but not for the same reasons as you. I just reckon this will run better on the PS3 and because it’s a single player game I wont care about missing out on Live functionality.