Irish Battlefield 1943 players upset over exclusion of Ireland

Wednesday, 29th July 2009 15:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

irishflag

Battlefield 1943 players living in Ireland are a bit perturbed that the game fails to display the country’s flag on their profile pages and instead only flies the UK flag.

Apparently, if you live in Northern Ireland or Ireland, “EA won’t allow you to identify yourself as “Irish” despite the 1998 Belfast agreement saying otherwise”, according to Seenit.

When contacted, EA apologized stating that players game profiles cannot be altered because Ireland is “not listed distinctively and is included in Great Britain.”

Oh dear.

You can read the whole thing through the link.

1. El_MUERkO

Do EA have offices in ireland?

They better hope not! :D

2. anasui

oh boy, I can picture them piano’ing a sad song about it

just pretend to be Italian and problem solved, kinda

3. Psychotext

Someone’s going to get bombed. 8O

4. SticKboy

Eire isn’t listed as its own independent country? That is, quite frankly, a fucking HUGE oversight.

That said, they are a small and comparatively insignificant nation, They should be grateful they get to be bundled in with us glorious Brits…

…[runs and hides/]

5. pha1r

Lets bomb them lads

6. Dannybuoy

ahh feck ya ballaks!

7. Johnny Cullen

FREE IRELAND!

I’m not fussed about it tbh. I live in Northern Ireland, but I find myself to be Irish and not British somewhat in nationalty.

That said, you can probably say I am neutral to this.

Anyways, FREE IRELAND!

Murko – Aye, they sure do.

All of ye – Your all ballbags.

*wants to use Irish persoanlty*

8. theevilaires

wow so Ireland isn’t independent WTF

9. Johnny Cullen

Northern Ireland is under British rule.
    Southern Ireland (Republic of Ireland) is independent.

Make sense?

10. theevilaires

11. pleasant_cabbage

:D
    EA has previous regarding cock-ups over the whole “N. Ireland/GB/UK/Ireland wtflol?”; using Ireland’s national anthem for N. Ireland. Small point to some, serious business to some, chuckles for some.

12. Michael O'Connor

“Wait what? how is that possible? why wouldn’t the british try to take over the whole island? I must wikipedia this stuff, those damn british think they can take over everything!”

They did take over the whole island.

The Irish fought for their independence for a few hundred years until Michael Collins convinced the English to agree that they could keep the top third of the country, as long as the bottom two thirds of the island (the “Republic of Ireland”) gained its freedom from English rule.

Obviously, that’s a majorly condensed version of the story, but you get the idea.

Anyway, this is a pretty retarded cockup on E.A.’s part. How the hell could they not have Ireland listed as a country in their system?

13. theevilaires

That’s fucked up. That’s why I would never fight for this country to try and take over another small country who minds their own business. Fucking E.A. that really is low. Just about every euro server I play on is mostly populated by Irish people. They are very competitive and good people in my book. They don’t deserve this shit from E.A.

I might start a boycott, anyone with me?….

14. Cort

Is the 1998 Belfast Agreement legally binding on US videogame publishers………?

15. Michael O'Connor

“Is the 1998 Belfast Agreement legally binding on US videogame publishers..?”

No, but its still pretty retarded to leave the country out.

16. Johnny Cullen

Pretty much what Michael says, its only really binding to Ireland, North and South.

Thats it.