Bethesda: New Bungie game could only be published by top tier

Monday, 27th July 2009 11:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bungielogo

Bethesda Softworks’ Ashley Cheng has said on his blog that only a few current publishers, including Bethesda themselves, could release Bungie’s new game.

“You can count on one hand the number of publisher’s around who can afford to publish Bungie’s next game: EA (via EA Partners), Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, and of course, Bethesda. I can only imagine how much it will cost to snag their next title,” said Cheng.

He then went on further to state that Sony could easily publish it as well, but thought it was “unlikely”.

“There is one more publisher who could get into the game: Sony. That would be interesting. Unlikely.”

Bungie said a deal was close on a publishing deal for the game on Friday. Development was confirmed at TGS last October.

Thanks, Videogamer.

1. Blerk

Bethesda confirmed?

2. Robo_1

Sony publishing Bungie’s next title (aside from being about as likely as Mario appearing alongside it) would be hilarious.

Are MS definitely out of the running?

3. Hunam

I love Bethesda, I just want to give them a big hug.

4. deftangel

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Microsoft to be honest. The Bethseda reference might just be a bit of flag waving to say they’re here and consider themselves to be one of the “big boys” now.

Next likely would be EA Partners.

5. Johnny Cullen

Lets be honest.

Sony publishing the new Bungie game would be the gigaton to end all gigatons.

One gigaton bigger then Final Fantasy XIII for the 360, Metroid from Tecmo and FFXIV exclusive to the PS3 (abit, as an MMO) combined.

Thats what I feel it would be anyways.

6. Syrok

(Ignoring all logic) Apple! ^.^

7. Tonka

Is it that new HAlo OST game he’s talking about?

8. DrDamn

No – a non-Halo Bungie game.

9. rainer

I dunno that could be a risk too for a publisher its been a very long time since Bungie has done anything other than Halo and they are known as an FPS studio so its probably another shooter.

Just because the Bungie name is on it does not mean instant megaton hit, Halo was the brand name like Call of Duty without that….

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t MS or EA partners & more likely MS.

10. Michael O'Connor

Whoever it is, it’s going to be interesting to see what comes of it.

11. Lutz

I didn’t think Bethesda were that big… And what about Take Two?

12. NiceFellow

I’m curious. If MS was going to be the publisher, wouldn’t that have been worked out already? I mean, the impression given is Bungie are talking to multiple potential publishers.

They know MS and have the relationship, so the implication is that, at minimum, they wanted to check out other options before committing again to MS, or, which would be more interesting IMHO, they are going to go multi-platform and therefore need a different publisher to handle that.

I guess time will tell. This sounds like public maneuvering BTW.

13. Jadeskye

Ha i like the idea of sony publishing a bungie title. I don’t think the internet could handle a fan-war on that scale.

14. Phoenixblight

@ 12

I agree that Bungie is probably looking at all the options I am hoping it will be EA Partners…

15. DrDamn

MS as a publisher possibility but Sony as unlikely indicates to me it is currently likely 360 exclusive. Obviously that could change if it goes to one of the other publishers.

16. SwiftRanger

Take2 would be nice, they have the Myth and Oni IPs after all and aren’t shy to work with independent developers (unlike THQ recently).

17. Johnny Cullen

But if I am remember correctly, Oni was shit.

Apparently.

18. SticKboy

No, Oni was *the* shit – especially on a Mac.

I’d bet my right nut that it’ll be EA who picks up the nest Bungie game.

19. Syrok

Oni was shit on PS2, though. The Mac demo I played was miles better.

20. No_PUDding

moneys on EA

But it’s a shame people spin this guys blog, as Bethesda’s word. Did someone scour the blog to make sure there’s no disclaimer saying that it’s “not the views of Bethesda Inc., and purely the views of this individual”?