Serious Sam 3 will “drop cartoony look,” says Croteam boss

Tuesday, 21st July 2009 16:27 GMT By Mike

serioussam1b

Croteam boss Roman Ribaric won’t be drawn on any specifics about Serious Sam 3 as it’s “too early.” However, he will say that the cartoony look of old has been dropped.

“”I can’t yet reveal any new features on Serious Sam 3, as it’s still too early,” Ribaric told Eurogamer.

“However, I believe Serious Sam fans would want to hear the following two things. First, Serious Sam 3 will play like the original Serious Sam. And second, we’ll leave the cartoony look behind.

“As for standing up to other games: simply, if it’s good to play, it’s good to play,” He went on.

“Serious Sam games belong to their own unique fast-paced FPS genre and should best be compared to previous Serious Sam games.”

Serious Sam 3 has no date or platforms as yet.

1. Doc Robotnik

Oh joy. With no more Duke and now SS going the way of ‘manly, hyper-realistic sci-fi’ nonsense, there’s no FUN looking casual shooters left.

Where’s that long dead Dreamcast version of Streets of Rage when you need it? I wanna punch someone in 3D without repercussions.

2. elronathon

I think I still have the vids of that on my pc at home!

3. Doc Robotnik

Love it. It looked dreadful but I really REALLY wanted to play it.

4. fearmonkey

I liked the cartoony look, it was different for the time than everything else. The character is similar to Duke, and duke already had the darker thing going. Now that a Duke title isnt going to be released anytime soon, they have the ability to make it as they want.

5. rainer

Really bad move by Croteam I hope they aren’t listening to some dumb ass publishers marketing goon.

If Sam looses that style it will just get lost among all the other gritty looking run of the mill shooters. Serious Sam is a franchise and there are expectations as to what it looks like, the XBLA Sam HD will even re-enforce those expectations and Croteam are shooting themselves in the foot by abandoning that.

6. crackdude

Generic shit

7. elronathon

hahaha perfect – you haven’t even SEEN the game yet and its generic!?