Console gaming fell 23% while online gaming rose 22% in May

Saturday, 11th July 2009 19:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

uparrow

Online players rose 22 percent in May with 87 million players in the US alone, according to market research conducted by comScore, while game revenues for consoles in the US fell 23 percent.

These figures are compared to May of last year.

According to the research, online gaming is less expensive and has become an alternative to those cutting back during the recession and gaming in this fashion is growing at ten times the rate of the US Internet population.

Yahoo! Games came in at number one with 19.4 million visitors which constituted approximately 22 percent of the online market.

EA came in second with 18 million visitors, Nickelodeon Casual Games was third with 14.8 million visitors, and WildTangent Network was fourth with 13.8 million visitors.

More figures and a lovely chart are through the links.

Via VentureBeat.

1. BULArmy

Where is loki now to tell how PC gaming is dead and consoles are the future.

2. endgame

just wait for it! :)

3. Phoenixblight

Or BDH…..

4. blackdreamhunk

I ‘m here lol you don’t need to tell me pc gaming is doing fine. I know pc gaming is doing fine.

5. Gundam

MMO’s will be taking over. Welcome to the revolution.

6. frostquake

PC GAMING IS DEAD…well for me anyway. I have 9 PC’s and 2 Laptops, and they are all outdated! I can no longer afford to upgrade everything from Ram to Graphics Cards to Power Supplies. I just bought Ram for this Laptop I am on, $80.00 for Ram on a 2 year Toshiba but the newer models take Ram that sells for $19.00 of course I need to fork out around $1500 for the newer models. So now I console. I just Tweet and Facebook and Email and Shop on my computers, though I will MMO Like Maple Story, and Magic Online, since those don’t need Tricked out Systems. But I think MMO’s are on the increase do to the Simplicity which makes them more accessible to NOOBS who are afraid of computers or have computers that can’t play High End MMO’s