Tretton – PS3 price fixation is “short-term thinking”

Wednesday, 8th July 2009 08:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

jacktretton

SCEA boss Jack Tretton has told Fast Company that those calling for a PS3 price drop need to take a longer view.

“People are having short-term thinking – the platform is not even three years old. It was $599; it’s now $399,” he said.

“The focus on pricing is something we appreciate, but you have to have the conviction and the confidence that you are on the right path for the long term and ultimately you’ll get all the consumers you want.

“You won’t get them all day one, but we’re looking to get them over a 10-year period. It’s going to take different things to get different consumers.”

Come on, Cologne. Hit the link for the full thing. Thanks, EG.

1. pleasant_cabbage

Sony has a 10 year plan for the ps3? Learn something new every day…

2. Phoenixblight

same for 360 Pleasant just gonna add more peripherials ie 360 Natal and Ps3 wand

3. Blerk

But a price drop would get lots of consumers. Right now.

4. Freek

It’s nice they have that 10 year plan in their head.

But who in their right mind is thinking “Oh, that PS3 is a bitt expensive, well, I geuse I’m not buying a console right now, i’ll wait 5 to 10 years for them to drop the price”.

“Oh look an Xbox 360…..oh that Wii looks nice…..nope, I’m gonna wait another 5 years.”

5. pleasant_cabbage

That’s such short-term thinking Blerk, you should be ashamed.

@Phoenix
    That was supposed to be a facetious comment by me! I’m sure I’ve heard Tretton mention 10 year plan a fair few times before. :)

6. Phoenixblight

Don’t Understand why they say 400$ is too much with the things that come with Ps3; Wifi, Blu Ray, COntroller charges from the console where a 360 you would have pay for all those things (except Blu ray) And also the risk of your 360 getting the ring of Death which is very likely. Happened to me twice luckly I was under warranty.

7. Psychotext

It’s too much mostly because people don’t want to pay that sort of money up front. More money further down the road tends to concern people far less.

8. G1GAHURTZ

People don’t want all that stuff, Phoenix.

That’s why so many people are buying Wii’s.

A consoles main selling point is its games, and most people would rather pay $250 to play their favourite game than $400…

9. OrphanageExplosion

Brilliant. Is the short and indeed long term thinking at Sony to cede this generation’s HD market to Microsoft?

10. Phoenixblight

I will admit Sony has been acting like they are still in the Ps2 era and continue to make decisions based on that and if they don’t get their shit straight Xbox will continue to pull more of their fan base from them.

11. Cort

G1GA,

People “don’t want” wifi or rechargeable controllers? Don’t both add-ons for the 360 sell rather well? I’ll accept that some gamers prefer the stability of an RJ45 – incluidng me – but to say people would prefer to spend large amounts of money on the inconvenience of conventional batteries is ridiculous.

As for Blu-ray (the other thing in Pheonix’s list to which you replied no-one wants them) isn’t one of the most frequent claims abvout the PS3 that people buy it as a Blu-ray player, not a games console? I believe you have suggested the same on more than one occasion.

I’ve no objection to people hating/disliking/ignoring a product, but get your story straight some time guys.

I of course agree that games are the important thing; you suggest people are more inclined to pay for a Wii to play “their favourite game” than to pay for a PS3 to do so. This is not why people choose a Wii over PS3. How many games can you play on both, and how many of them are anywhere near the top of the Wii sales charts?

12. G1GAHURTZ

I have no idea how the wifi adapter sells for the 360… My assumption is that it’s not that popular. I could be wrong.

As for chargers, then I don’t know how they sell either, but I myself am currently using batteries, and only because my wired pad won’t work with my chatpad.

I used to have a rechargable battery, but I had it charging from the USB port practically all of the time, so I just got the wired one.

Do charge kits sell well on the Wii? I have no idea… What I know is that batteries may be expensive, but they’re convenient, and of the millions of people who’ve bought Wii’s I don’t think I’ve ever heard/seen anyone complain about not having the ability to charge direct from the console. Surely if that was the case, Nintendo would have a new Wii mote out, for a few quid more, with that functionality before you could blink.

As for Blu-ray, then if the majority really wanted it, then PS3 sales would be much higher than they are now. This is surely what Sony was counting on being the case, but it obviously hasn’t happened. However, like it or hate it, the vast majority of console sales belong to nintendo, because Nintendo Wii’s are what the vast majority of people want to play.

Those casual gamers who used to buy PS2′s for the EyeToys and the SingStars, are now buying Wii’s for the Wii Plays and Wii Sports Resorts.

The numbers prove the point.

Look at the sales of the Wii compared to the PS3. Sales of the latter are completely dwarfed by comparison.

That’s why I say that people don’t want all of that stuff. If they did, they’d either be buying PS3′s, or they wouldn’t be buying Wii’s.

13. DrDamn

Wii-motes are complete buggers for using batteries. Leave them on the side the wrong way up and they sit there trying to turn themselves on and use the battery up. Even when left by themselves the right way they seem to drain power. The WMP add-on has made the drain notably worse too and the wii-mote sheaths make getting at the batteries a pain in the ass.

/makes G1GA’s list of people who complain about wii-motes :)

The 360 wifi add on always appeared to do quite well on the admittedly manufactured lists of “best sellers” on Play / Amazon. Though many don’t know the much cheaper option is to get a basic access point for <£20.

14. Retroid

I wouldn’t have thought the wifi add-on sells terribly well.

As for ‘rechargeable controllers’, I’m presuming there are still people out there unfamiliar with the idea of rechargeable AA batteries (and their USB-powered chargers)?

15. Blerk

I use rechargeable AAs for the 360 and Wii controllers. Coupled with a ‘one hour fast charge’ charger they’re pretty much ideal (and interchangeable).

And I use a £1 network cable for internets to the 360. The price of the wifi thingy is fucking ridiculous. :-D

16. anasui

“I sold my Wii because of the horrible lay out of the Wii. The games are childish and not for mature players plus Nintendo first party games are just rehash of the previous system games with new features.”

even after they clean up Hyde Park you can still find some dog shit. Care to tell me what your childish blabbering has to do with this topic? Oh wait, i dont give a fuck about what a soft minded Sony fanboy thinks

17. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

18. Phoenixblight

If you read the comments above you see that someone was mentioning Wii. I did not state it was a fact Wii was shit no I said “I did not like the lay out” I am by far not a Sony Fan boy or Xbot, I simply play games. I used to own all three systems til the Wii for me was not bringing anything to the table except for Twilight Princess. That is my opinion just because I say I don’t like the system doesn’t mean its a piece of shit (obviously look at the numbers) or that I am a fan boy.

19. Bulk Slash

I agree with G1GAHURTZ, the PS3 may have features “out of the box” that aren’t on the 360, but the extra cost of entry makes the console prohibitive.

For example my brother just got himself a 360 but he hasn’t bought a charge kit or a Wi-Fi adaptor yet as he doesn’t have the cash. Next month he’ll have some to spare and will be able to buy those bits (although I’m not dropping our Wi-Fi security from WPA2 so wireless is out ;)).

Sony’s problem is the PS3 demands too much cash up-front, and psychologically people don’t want to pay all that. Seeing a cheap base system that you can upgrade with hard drives or charge kits at a later date is much easier for the consumer to swallow.

20. Cort

“The numbers” don’t prove any of your points other than the statement that the Wii sells well. The numbers don’t tell you *why* at all.

People do not buy a Wii because they do not want wifi or rechargeable controllers: the Wii has wifi and in fact Wiimote charging stations sell very well (people are always complaining about having to buy batteries for the Wiimote). People who buy a Wii and not a PS3 do so because they want a Wii and want to play Wii games; the two consoles largely (but not entirely) sell to very different demographics. It’s about games not peripheral features, remember, so is it really relevant to the debate about the value of the PS3 that people who want to play Super Mario, Mario Kart and Wii Sports choose not to buy the Sony console?

No-one chooses to buy a $250 console over a $400 console to play their favourite games. How many games are available on both Wii and PS3? And how many of them are anywhere near the top 50 best-selling Wii games list? Look at the 50 best-selling PS3 games: how many could you choose to play on a Wii instead? Only a fraction of gamers are in the position of having favourite games which can be played on both Wii and PS3 so statistically this dichotomy of choice is completely insignificant to the sales numbers. Indeed, I bet people wanting to play the likes of Call of Duty and Resident Evil are actually more likely to buy a PS3 than a Wii.

What might actually be true of the PS3′s current position is that people would love to have wifi, internet, rechargeable controllers and built-in Blu-ray in a HD-capable console, but given we’re in a huge recession with unemployment soaring and wages frozen or dropping across the US and EU they cannot afford its price. But they’re waiting for when they can. It doesn’t mean they think it’s not worth it or wrong to include those features or never want them. I cannot afford an Audi S4 (yet….) but I don’t snort and think it should be redesigned to be more like a Ford Mondeo so I can have one. There are still a huge amount of gamers who have not yet taken the current-gen leap, the vast majority of whom have PS2s. Do they want wifi and internal batteries dropped, or the price of the console?

Also, you failed to deal with my point about people claiming one minute that “no-one wants Blu-ray” and the next that “the PS3 is mostly bought for Blu-ray, not games”. If my memory serves me, you have used both arguments before. Can’t be both, yet the two claims are constantly made, side-by-side.

Finally, if all people want is a gaming console without all those extra features, without Blu-ray and with a cheap price, the 360 Arcade would be the best-selling console in the world. Is it?

21. Psychotext

That’s a long post. I disagree with one point you make though…

“they cannot afford its price. But they’re waiting for when they can”

There’s not really any evidence that a significant number of people are waiting… or at least if they are, it doesn’t explain why consoles are selling far faster this gen as a whole than they did last gen. The Wii is outpacing the PS2 and the 360 / PS3 are both outpacing xbox and gamecube sales. Despite the considerably higher prices.

22. G1GAHURTZ