Stringer dismisses Kotick PS3 threat as “noise”

Wednesday, 8th July 2009 07:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3a2

Sony Corp head Howard Stringer has shrugged off threats from Acti Blizz boss Bobby Kotick that he may drop support for PS3 unless there’s a price cut.

“He likes to make a lot of noise,” Stringer told Reuters, speaking at the Allen & Co conference in Sun Valley, Idaho this week.

“He’s putting pressure on me and I’m putting pressure on him. That’s the nature of business.”

Kotick issued an eyebrow-raising warning shot to Sony last month, saying that unless the machine came down in price, “When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console.”

Asked about the logic of not cutting PS3′s RRP, Stringer added, “I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make – how’s that for logic.”

Full thing through there.

1. Withnail

Stringowned.

2. DarkElfa

“He likes to make a lot of noise”?! If I were Kotick, I’d drop Sony’s sorry, egotistical ass like a bad habit for that kind of arrogant disrespect. Bobby’s complaints are warranted and shared by many of the developers who release games for Sony and as per the usual, Sony thinks they’re so damned untouchable that they can do anything they want, say anything they want and everyone will just fall in line.

Sony screwed their fanbase and the game developers this console round just so they could win the HD format war and they still have the gall to act like this?! I don’t understand how anyone can or would support a company with this kind of attitude. I don’t care how much money it would cost by dropping Sony, If I were Kotick, I’d drop Sony tomorrow just to shut Stringer’s big mouth and put him in his place and Acti Blizz could afford to do it too.

Fuck Stringer, fuck Sony and fuck that $400 Foreman Grill they’re passing off as a console.

Excuse my French.

3. Phoenixblight

Kotick was bluffing its known, he was just trying to force Sony’s hand and it failed because Kotick is just shooting shit. Money > Pride Actiblizz would like to think they are the cream of the crop but they aren’t the only reason why they are on top of the publishing is because of the merger thats it if it wasn’t for Blizz greatness they would be fighting for scraps.

4. Aimless

The Internet, overreacting since 1991.

5. Johnny Cullen

DE – Like Phoenix says, it’s a bluff from Activision, most likely anyways. And Sony’s right to come out and say that, unless Activision have the balls to do it, then thats all it is: noise.

Besides, didnt like a 1/3 (I think it was a 3rd anyways) of Acti’s profits come from the PS3 & PSP last year? I’d highly doubt they’d drop them if that was the case.

I had a better response then this, but I forgot it :(

6. endgame

u guys r sooo right.

7. dirigiblebill

“Asked about the logic of not cutting PS3’s RRP, Stringer added, “I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make – how’s that for logic.””

Implying that Sony is presently making money on every PS3 it produces?

8. Psychotext

“Besides, didnt like a 1/3 (I think it was a 3rd anyways) of Acti’s profits come from the PS3 & PSP last year?”

Possibly a third of their revenue. We have no idea how their profit works out on that.

9. Cort

Of course it’s bluff, and stupid too. You think his investors would let this idiot walk away from 30%+ of their annual console profit, especially in this economic climate? They board would have that fool out of his office by the end of the week.

DarkElfa, direct your complaint at the £108 price tag the UK will have to pay for DJ Hero. That’s what Kotick’s noise is for, to deflect attention from the fact that by the new year DJ Hero will probably cost over half of what a PS3 will.

PS As soon as someone uses the stupid “Foreman Grill” argument they tell us they are a 360 or Wii owner who never intended to buy a PS3. So why do you care?

10. SlayerGT

Who here feels screwed by Sony? Who here feels screwed by Acti Blizz?

Personally, I love my PS3 and PSP. Just as I did my PS1 and 2. And Sony hasn’t crapped on me yet. Im not gonna talk about others who have. On top of that, I don’t own one Call of Duty or Guitar Hero. As far as Im concerned Kotick can take his business elsewhere. Wouldn’t bother me. Over-priced repackaged plastic toys…no thank you. Just like not having anything from Valve. It’s the first party stuff that’s worth a shit to me. Always has been. And Sony has done a great job of locking down the best out there. If I have to have third party garbage from a “big company that only gives a shit about money”, I’ll always have EA.