French retailers refusing to stock PSP Go? False, says SCEE

Monday, 6th July 2009 10:28 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspgo2

A story doing the rounds last week that claimed French retailers were refusing to stock PSP Go was debunked by SCEE this morning.

The original JeuxVideo piece claimed that “major retailers” had possibly forced Sony to not launch the handheld in France thanks to its lack of physical media – which means no ongoing games sales and no secondhand PSP Go games market.

“No French retailers have refused to stock the Go,” we were told by SCEE. The rep added that the story simply wasn’t true.

PSP Go launched in October, priced €249. We’re still waiting for the UK price.

Thanks for the initial tip, Peter.

1. Syrok

€249, seriously? That’s €70 more than it is in the US. You really can’t explain that away with taxes, income disparity or any other costs.

2. Blerk

Have any French retailers agreed to stock the PSP Go, though? :-)

3. Razor

€249 is just out of control isn’t it.

I do like the white one though.

4. Freek

In comparison, an Xbox 360 Pro Bundel (that’s a 60 gig hardrive, plus headset) goes for about 240 euro.

5. wz

I will never forgive them for switching the design. The initial rectangular one was absolutely superior.

6. krakdol

@Freek : yeah, but try taking your 360 with you in your pocket. It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

I agree the Go is a bit expansive, but it’s sexy and portable like an Iphone, so I definitely buy one at launch.

7. Dannybuoy

Playing Doom Resurrection on my iPhone at the mo. The graphics seem to be on par with anything I’ve seen on PSP, so where is my motivation to buy a PSP Go? I really do want a PSP Go, I really do, but I’m sorry I’m not prepared to cough up £250 for one. Not when I’m going to have to pay £375 to upgrade my iphone to 3GS. I consider myself to have a fairly good disposable income but the price just seems to much for even my wallet! Come on Sony. You seem to be getting this all wrong… go for a DS price point and you’ll conquer the world!! *falls on deaf ears*

8. endgame

doom resurection is a joke! at least the graphics r. some of u console owners have really low standards. i feel really bad for u.