PS3 Firmware 3.0 – Grief reporting, reputation system, background patches, multiple audio outputs, more [Update]

Friday, 26th June 2009 14:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3xmb2

VG247 has learnt that PS3 Firmware 3.0, “a completely new system” for the console, is to release pre-Christmas with a raft of major feature updates.

The software upgrade has been described to us as “a huge overhaul”, and was compared to NXE “in some respects”.

The before-rumoured reputation system will be included. We were told that, “A reputation system in which users will be able to evaluate each other will be provided for… game applications.

“There will be a new API available to so the user can… allow users and also obtain users’ reputation.”

A “grief reporting system” will be included in the update, allowing gamers to take screens of offensive players and submit them to Sony. Apparently this is going to be similar to the LBP system, and is likely to include a text input.

Firmware 3.0 will allow patches will be downloaded in the background, meaning you’ll no longer have to sit staring at the screen while Random Shooter updates itself with a 500Mb fix.

There’s more. Simultaneous HDMI and digital optical outputting will be included in the release, a move likely to bring big smiles to the audio heads in the crowd.

We’ve been told a lot more on this, but you’ll just have to wait. Rest assured, 3.0 will be significant. Just remember where you heard it first.

Update: SCEA’s Patrick Seybold has told Joystiq: “Those rumors are completely untrue, nothing has been announced or confirmed for upcoming PlayStation firmware, and this is just wild speculation.”

1. Razor

No voice chat?

2. Rhythm

The audio thing is the biggest plus for me. I hate having to switch outputs when I’m swapping between my TV and my projector (which uses a separate sound system to my telly)

3. Razor

I see where this is going….Slim PS3 + Major Firmware + Price Cut = Win…maybe…

4. No_PUDding

Wow… Weapons of mass destruction.

It makes me wonder what you’ll save up for even rainier days. xD

Seriously, this is great, but it’s how it SHOULD be.

5. Mike

Totally gutted.

RIP Mike.

6. FW3.00

SWEET

7. ross_k

I’ll believe when I see it, who’s the source?

8. Syrok

“Just remember where you heard it first.”

That’ll be some N4G thread then. :P

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

No voice chat? No screen shot/print screen yet for games/videos (this one SEEMS like it shouldn’t be too difficult to patch)?

Are they listening to what consumers want..?

10. No_PUDding

@Razor
    @Dr.Ghettoblaster

“We’ve been told a lot more on this, but you’ll just have to wait. Rest assured, 3.0 will be significant”

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Good point pud – thx!

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

While we’re on the subject, you know what else would be really cool? Some sort of built in FRAPS type ability to record 30 seconds or so video of ANY game or ANY video and create an original file. Just a suggestion.

13. Razor

The HDMI and digital optical outputting is bizarre, because if the hardware already allows it, why couldn’t it just have been put in in the first place?

But Sony, what we really need is a new boot up screen!! I’m getting tired of listening to a fucking orchestra every time I boot up.

Bring back the classic PS1 boot up screen I say…

14. Psychotext

Clock fix? :D

15. Syrok

No, moving a few pixel can’t be done. :P

16. warlock7

@jonarob: Why didn’t you pick one of the launch units up? Or one of the software emulation iterations? If you had, then you’d have the functionality, wouldn’t you? Too late to bitch about it now…

17. warlock7

@Razor: voice chat is already in there…

18. warlock7

@razor: or do you mean something else? or perhaps a more clear description…

19. Phoenixblight

@Warlock7

maybe because he didn’t have money for it. I had tto buy the newer system too because I wasn’t going to upchuck a grand so I can play Ps2 games.

Ps2 Emulation is something they should do instead of dropping the price for a system that has no HD functionalty. Have you ever played the Ps2 on a HD tv it looks like shit like PSOne graphics only shittier in some cases.

Sony needs to get with the program and make PS2 emulation for all newer PS3 systems.

20. lk

@warlock7:

just for kicks, try talking to a buddy while playing, say, killzone 2, who is NOT playing the same game at that moment.

get back to me when you did.

ok, see? on 360 — totally possible. on ps3? why not?!

21. Phoenixblight

@lk

Because M$ owns the patent for that

22. Razor

The voice chat currently in is not the one people want.

PS2 emulation makes no sense while they’re currently losing money on the PS3. Have you not seen how many PS2′s are being sold? Over 100,000 every NPD now it’s $99.

It’s easy money…and developers keep supporting it, so there’s no need to put emulation back in the PS3.

Besides, the PS3 doesn’t have a dedicated AA chip unlike the PS2, which is why it’s pretty difficult to emulate PS2 on PS3, and it’s why the PS2 software solution on European PS3 systems is very dodgy.

23. Phoenixblight

Then make a Ps2 with HD Functionalty either or I would like to play my PS2 games and I can’t without it being pixelated to hell atm.

24. Syrok

I don’t. I have it and I hardly ever use it because I played all my old PS2 games and now only play the new PS3 games. :)

25. Shatner

Sony are not going to even consider putting PS2 emulation back into PS3s until PS2 hardware sales flatline.

Think it through.

26. Retroid

There’s the tiny matter that the ‘emulation’ still required the PS2 GPU hardware to be there, it’s wasn’t software only and some devs have said the PS2 GPU would be very difficult to emulate on the PS3 hardware.

I mean…. they must be kicking themselves that they can’t flog PS2 games over PSN for a start.

As for cross-game chat, I know a number of people who’d love that, namely my sister-in-law and her boyfriend, both PS3 owners, and the only ‘game’ they have in common to chat within is Home. Which is arse.

@Phoenixblight: are you sure MS own the patent for cross-game chat? I’ve heard nothing about that, although I’ve heard MS own the patent for the particular method of custom soundtracks they use on 360.

27. Razor

“Some software emulation wouldn’t be a difficult thing to implement with a firmware update.”

But it would. It’s difficult to achieve PS2 software emulation on PS3…look at the PS2 software emulation European PS3′s…it’s woeful.

And unless that was a dodgy effort, there’s no way we’ll see software emulation put back in until the emulation software is absolutely completely 100% watertight locked down sorted out.

Putting PS2 games on the store with the kind of PS2 emulation that’s currently in my original 60gb PS3 would result in a lot of complaints, as the emulation is very poor, and half my PS2 games kept freezing when I played them.

And third parties are not going to go back just to re-code old PS2 games to play on PS3. We’ll probably be waiting until the PS4 before we get PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles all on the store, as Sony are likely to have realised that BC is important, and having a PS4 that plays PS1,2,3 titles off the bat would be a huge win, and wouldn’t confuse the customer.

With voice chat, I was under the impression that MS own the patent for the “traditional” way of doing voice chat through the hardware, which is why it’s taking Sony time to figure out how to do it without infringing on a MS patent.

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Cross game/media bar/video/basically anywhere chat is what I think most people want the most. Xboxlive has it, PSN does not. Hell I can’t even chat in the same GAME with a friend on PSN unless we’re in the same session/lobby and the game supports it. For those who may not know, Xlive you can have one person in one game and another in a different game (or watching a movie, or in the menus) and they can voice chat live real time).

I don’t see why they can’t AT MINIMUM give us the ability to send 30 second voice messages, rather than text, ala Xlive.

29. Phoenixblight

@Retroid

Its a theory you could sift through the patent list to see if thats the case but the cross game chat is something that has been mentioned on other forums and sites that M$ owns the rights to it. Not sure if its true but it does sound like something M$ would do.

30. bytemap

Sounds great, but need more info. Thanks.

On another note: So you mean to tell me that the super great Cell processor is not capable of emulating the PS2 GPU?

I mean Sony and many others have said this is the NEXT GEN, BEST PROCESSOR to date and being used in MANY other applications. Yet, they themselves can’t emulate a technology they built and improve upon it? Sorry, I highly doubt that.

I think it is possible, they are just making people wait for it since to them it isn’t important now. Just like the price cut. :D

31. Shatner

PS2 emulation isn’t an issue of complexity or cost. PS2 emulation in PS3 has *always* been hardware powered. Originally by two chips, then by one. It’s *never* been software only. It’s also got fuck-all to do with the capabilities of the Cell processor (*good* developers can achieve wonders on *any* hardware!). Why invest a ton of development R&D costs into something that’s not going to make you any money and, worse still, will actively damage you revenue in another market? Any ‘expert’ want to answer that question, hmm?

Sony are not going to consider killing their profits and crippling their PS2 hardware revenue by giving it away for free in their unprofitable PS3.

When PS2 hardware sales die then Sony have little to lose by putting PS2 emulation into PS3s. Until then they’ll be throwing away a very large amount of revenue.

And, as always on this topic: Can any of you “Sony should give me PS2 emulation cos I say so!” folk tell me what PS2 games you are intending to buy?

Again – think it through (from a commercial viewpoint, not a selfish one) – why would a company do this if it’s going to cripple revenue from one market (PS2 hardware sales) and NOT bring in any revenue from another market (PS2 software sales).

Ain’t gonna happen. Not until PS2 hardware sales die.

32. Razor

The Cell or RSX does not have a dedicated edram unit like what was part of the GS in the PS2.

It’s one of the big flaws of the PS3, that it doesn’t have edram, unlike the 360, and is incidentally one of the reasons why more multiplat 360 games look better on 360 than PS3

33. Hunam

The PS2 had AA? This is news to me!

34. Seraphemz

The PS3 I have plays PS2 games just fine. Passed Shadow of the Colossus on my PS3.

35. Michael O'Connor

“I already have a PS2. I’m not going to buy another one. Some software emulation wouldn’t be a difficult thing to implement with a firmware update.”

You’re not the centre of the universe.

The lack of backward compatibility in new machines is a financially driven decision to up sales of the PS2. Deal with it.

36. Seraphemz

Exactly Michael.
    People need to stop bitching about PS2 emulation. If you wanted it so bad, should have got a PS3 when it had it.

I rather Sony concetrate on cross game,chat and others things to move the PS3 forward.

37. No_PUDding

We need to wait for another rainy day before Pat will share.

38. Withnail

Well these are some of the least exciting features I can think of. Sounds less like a system overhaul and more like an fairly average update to me.

re: PS2 BC.
    Shatner’s right. A backwards compatible PS3 is bad news for both PS2 hardware sales and PS3 software sales. Both of which are crucial for Sony at the moment.

39. Retroid

But selling PS2 games over PSN would be Rather Excellent, surely that’s a given? I’m sure they’ve seen MS slapping up some games on Xbox Originals and wished they could do the same.

As for PS3 BC, my Euro 60gb plays *most* of the PS2 games I’ve tried on it just fine, I’ve been playing Yakuza 2 and been picking up cheapo PS2 bargain bin games recently to play on it. Mr Moskeeto (sp?) and Space Invaders Anniversary to name but two :)

It craps itself trying to play the first Jak game though, and the glitchy textures in Silent Hill 4 are a pity, though :(

40. Phoenixblight

I would just be happy they would put HD funtionalty to the Ps2 with the newer versions. It sucks because I have a whole library of Ps2 games and I can’t play them because they look horrible on HD. How is it PS games look about the same as they did on a SD tv but when you play PS2 on a HD tv it looks worse then some PS1 games.

41. Patrick Garratt

Updated :)

42. Michael O'Connor

“Right, seriously. Are we gamers or Sony shareholders? Who gives a fuck?”

Sony’s shareholders, that’s who.

It is reasonable to accept this, or would you rather the company lost even more money? If they don’t have money, they can’t stay afloat. If they don’t stay afloat… no PS2, PS3, or PSP.

43. Mike

COMPLETELY UNTRUE!!!

44. Seraphemz

Jonarob – go bitch and moan to the people that complained about the price…which IF you didn’t get one right away includes you.
    Next time do be such a tight ass…..
    Ps. I’m loving my sd,memory stick card readers too..

45. The_Deleted

Can we have music import,please?
    I want to listen to Amon Amarth while playing GoWIII

46. Shatner

So you’d be happy for the entire games division to go bust due to crippling their own revenue streams just so they can give you the PS2 emulation you’re demanding in order to save you fiddling with a few cables near you TV.

Yup. Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Oh, and you didn’t ‘request’ it, you ‘demanded’ it.

Here’s something else that’s reasonable: treating someone who acts like a petulant, self-centered teenager as though they’re a petulant self-centered teenager.

Either way, PS2 emulation ain’t going to happen for the reasons already clearly stated. Pretty goodamn reasonable reasons that rely on common sense and the ability to accept that the world doesn’t revolve around one person.

So with that in mind, stomp upstairs, slam your bedroom door, put on some emo music because the world is an unfair place and throw yourself onto your bed and thump your pillow in anguish. Your misdirected demands are not going to be met any time soon.

47. theevilaires

Seraphemz said: Ps. I’m loving my sd,memory stick card readers too..

LMAO!!!!

48. jnms

@Jonarob, as much as I like reading Shatner’s posts; he is living proof that having great communication and verbal skills is not the same as having high intelligence.

He would probably do well in either the PR or political worlds…

49. Len

It’s such a sunny day out there but this is gonna get interesting… ;)

50. Shatner

“So what if there’s no PS2, PSP or PS3? I’ll just play everything on my Xbox, Wii and PC.”

Followed up by a very entertaining “It only makes sense when I say it, not anyone else” approach with:

“You’re being utterly ridiculous. You think Sony’s entire games division would go bust if they put backwards compatibility back in the PS3? I’ve never heard something so downright silly in all my life. What the hell is wrong with you?”

I’ve seen insularity a lot on this site but you’re rapidly ascending the ranks of some long-standing nonces.

With regards to you acting like a petulant teenager – hypocrisy, insularity and repeated name-calling on your part aren’t doing much to shake the notion that that’s exactly what you are. :)

You want a feature? Good for you. Ain’t gonna happen. Get over it.

51. Hunam

I always find it interesting that people in the industry tend to talk about profitability, market conditions, whats best for the platform holder and various reasons why people should give them a break, and then consumer who just wonder why the fuck they can’t play PS2 games on the PS3. It kind of shows a disconnection of seller and consumer and there are parts where I feel that companies ask too much of consumers as why should consumers care about X and Y, they just want to play games at the end of the day.

52. Shatner

If you want to play PS2 games, what’s so incredibly offensive at the notion of playing them on a PS2?

Oh, wait. That’s pretty unreasonable isn’t it?

There’s certainly a disconnection between consumer and manufacturer. But, the consumer always insists that the disconnection is their divine right and they shouldn’t be criticised for being both wilfully ignorant and personally selfish – but, at the same time, will argue (and even stoop to performing the ‘victim’ act) that if their tune isn’t jumped to then just because it’s not commercially viable or even goes against simple common sense that it’s still wrong for their demands not to be met.

A total unwillingness to see anything from a view other than their own whilst insisting that the other party is being selfish and unreasonable.

Maybe some consumers are just selfish cunts relying on the “well, I’m just an ickle consumer, I shouldn’t be criticised should I?” act to excuse their cuntishness?

And maybe some people are so keen to take the contrary view to anything that they’re happy overlook common sense for the sake of it.

Neither attitude is one I’d regard as remotely credible or worth listening to.

If one party merrily refuses to acknowledge the concerns of the other party, they can hardly be surprised when such an attitude is reciprocated.

Unless they’re selfish hypocritical cunts, that is. :)

53. Shatner

Don’t need it Jonarob. I just tire of selfish cunts playing the victim act and throwing an internet strop whenever their demands aren’t met. Just like petulant teenagers are want to do.

That you imply that the ONLY reaons someone would ever consider both sides of an argument is because they’re some PR goon really shows the maturity of your argument and the insularity of your own view.

The best you can counter some common sense and commercial awareness is with a bit of petulant name-calling and a sly-yet-predictable jab at “The Corporation” act. I can’t say I’m particularly impressed with your reasoning. You’re just being reactionary and petulant.

You entire argument amounts to “I want what I want and I want them to give it to me. And if they don’t give me what I want then they’re being unreasonable”. You’ve neatly skipped over your flip-flopping attitude that I referenced (Good call!) and are still doing the petulant name-calling rubbish without adding a single iota of rational substance to your view.

So, you’re selfish and immature. OK. We get it. Yeah, ok – you have a right to be selfish and immature.

I respect your right to be selfish and immature. I just don’t respect the arguments you build on such ill-conceived foundations.

54. Shatner

No substance? Hahaha. OK bub. I guess you missed the part where I told you (repeatedly) why your cute little demands aren’t going to be met.

But, just like a petulant teenager, you’re going to dismiss commons sense and a bit of grounded knowledge because it isn’t going to lead to the conclusion you want to hear. So, if you don’t like something you hear – well, it must be bullshit, right?!

You had your chance at PS2 backwards compability. If that had been you “argument all along” then the earlier comments criticising you for missing out on it would stand. So, just like your earlier hypocrisy, your insistence about what your argument has been “all along” also flip flops.

You’re just selfish. You weren’t prepared to get something when it was available. Now you’re crying like a petulant teenager that you missed your chance. Seems like you want what you want when you want it and how you want it and don’t give a fuck about anything beyond that. Then you go about saying the other folk are unreasonable and that any view that doesn’t bleat alongside your own lacks substance.

You’ve absolutely failed to explain why a corporation should do what you want beyond “I want it”. You deride any view that dares to look at the situation in a broader context too.

And, after repeated posts and repeated examples of you being hypocritical you’re now going to attempt the “Hell, I never really cared anyway. I’m too indifferent for all of this. Yeah!”. Given your multiple posts and crybaby “I want!” moans this is just more transparent and petulant behaviour.

Allow me to repeat myself, because it’s really not sinking in:

55. No_PUDding

He’s a master of percolation, perjoratives and double negatives.

You have to appreciate it sometimes, otherwise you’d go crazy reading one of his essays.

56. Shatner

No, I’m an internet White Knight. I learned from the best.

That’s why I can go around saying absolutely fuck all on the topic and still strut around like some expert who is a better human being than whoever I’m talking about.

Or is that a troll? I dunno. I guess self-proclaimed White Knights and trolls probably aren’t that different at the end of the day.

57. No_PUDding

Percolation? Check (7 paragraphs)

Perjoratives? Check (‘bub’)

Double Negatives? Check (unfortuntely you’ll have to read it)

58. Shatner

Multiple posts on the same topic now suddenly claiming you’re “not bothered” Jonarob? Sure. Clearly!

And I’m not wound up in the slightest. Watching selfish ingnorant hypocrites expose themselves as selfish ignorant hypocrites and then seeing all their lame excuses and efforts to not look like a selfish ignorant hypocrites keeps me amused for hours. :)

You really excel at the petulant teenager act. Top marks!

Hmm, pudding, trying the grammar nazi approach. That’s quite novel. For you. Still, just like your other ‘approaches’ your insistence on trolling in order to try and look superior is only going to show you up as a troll.

As shame, as sometimes you say something worth reading. But you love to destroy your credibility by falling into the troll-cycle.

So, to summarise:

Jonarob: selfish, petulant, hypocritical, ignorant teenager

Pudding: Trolls and leaps into arguments, trolls them more so as to keep them going, never adds to discussion of article

Me: Always right, never wrong. Actually knows what he’s talking about (which pisses you lot off something rotten, haha!)

59. No_PUDding

Scratch that.

I am sorry Shatner, I won’t stand from the sidelines anymore. You are right, look at how I am acting.

60. Michael O'Connor

“That straw man isn’t going to work, mate. Fact is, you went on the offensive because I requested something reasonable. If all you’ve got as rebuttal is Sony shareholders, I’m off for a quick wank and then bed.”

I wanted a PS3 with backward compatibility as well, so my 100+ collection of PS2 games wouldn’t suddenly become void should my PS2 ever decide to die on me?

You know what I did about it? I went out and bought a 60GB PS3 that *had* backward compatibility.

Don’t have a credit card to buy one on Ebay? Come back in a few years when you’re old enough. People’s job and a company’s livelihood (lets not forget that they are PROVIDING you with the entertainment in the first place) are a bigger priority to most people.

Don’t discuss a topic if you can’t discuss the whole breath of it.

61. Michael O'Connor

“You’re an absolute hero!”

No, just more mature.

62. No_PUDding

Jumped out of this one early… Will be back to troll later, ofcourse.

All I am is a troll.

63. Gekidami

I hope Sony patch in 360 emulation, it would totally free up my plugs, Wii would be good to…

64. Gamoc

Jonarob is correct, certain people make that mistake all the time.

65. Retroid

When it comes to BC, there are the tiny problems that they spent the time and cash to get it running with naught but the GPU hardware included. Then all that work was scrapped to save a few dollars (if that) per machine.

Considering that they could well have sold old (and new) PS2 games as digital downloads with minimal publishing costs, in comparison to the situation now where new PS2 releases flop out almost stillborn and most of the time can’t even be found in the shops…. yeah.

I know which situation I’d prefer.

66. theevilaires

“completely untrue”. Not false, but “completely untrue” :P

this guy just confirmed it :P

67. toto77

I hope for a native support for vc-1 to stream from server to the ps3.

68. rowdygiff

Ok, so here is a thought for some of you ignorant morons out there. If ps3 sales are not as high as sony would like them to be and ps2 sales are high right now then what do you think that means???? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. And what is the one thing that the new ps3′s are missing???????? HMMMMMMMMMMM???????????? Boy that only brings one thought to my mind. Put the ps2 emulation out in a firmware update, and bring it back on ALL NEW PS3′S and guess what, maybe just maybe ps3 sales will begin to rise. You wanna talk about common knowledge, there is some for your ass. PS3 is more then PS2, so if they put in what the CONSUMERS want, which is how sony obvisly makes their money, then guess what, “if you build it they will come”. Tada!!! PS3 sales rise and sony makes some loot. I have both systems hooked up to my 55″ big screen hdtv right now at the same time, and guess what, i went to play tiger woods on my ps2 today, that lasted for 5 min becuse it looked like shit. i dont need to swap cables around but my ps2 just collects dust. So to all you sony fanboys out there, go sit in a corner and wack it to seth’s picture. And there is my 2 cents.

69. Psychotext

Huh?

74. Johnny Cullen

O_O

75. Patrick Garratt

\o/

76. wz

That bastard cannot output HDMI and Optical at the same time? And to think I almost bought it as a BluRay player today *shivers*