BioWare: With Dragon Age we’re going back to our Baldur’s Gate roots

Monday, 8th June 2009 14:59 GMT By Mike

dragonageb1

BioWare lead writer David Gaider has told Gama at E3 that Dragon Age is a more traditional RPG and the company is returning to its Baldur’s Gate roots in terms of theme and story.

“Mass Effect is great – it’s more cinematic – whereas with Dragon Age, we’re definitely going to something that’s a little more traditional,” he said.

“There’s nothing wrong with traditional. We’re looking at our Baldur’s Gate roots.”

“I know they whip that out in the marketing a lot, but Baldur’s Gate II was my first game. I think nothing compares to your first,” added.

“For me, it was this wonderful experience where we were working with a tried and true engine, which is a great place to be because you can start creating content and test it right from the beginning.”

Full, four-page article through the link.

Dragon Age: Origins releases for PC and consoles later this year.

1. Hunam

They say this, then put out terrible trailers which are the polar opposite of Baldur’s Gate.

2. anasui

exactly. If there was skepticism before that trailer, now there’s “probably doomed” written all over it

3. Hunam

I’m their target market too, own every RPG they have made and wax lyrical about BG2 to anyone who will listen and these trailers and write ups about sex minigames is shaking even my resolve.

4. blackdreamhunk

I am going to buy all bio-wares games hehehe

5. Blerk

Yeah, my interest in this one is wavering somewhat.

What happened to them ‘showing off the console versions for the first time at E3′? They said it, then… nothing. Was it just that nobody bothered to cover them?

6. anasui

@Hunam

I’m a long time BW fan as well. Played and enjoyed practically every game they made, even JE, which was only just too short. Can’t help to see a declining path, although people seemed to adore ME, which was just average to me

7. Hunam

I got about 3 hours into JE but still keep meaning to put a weekend aside for it.

I thought ME was only OK first time, then played it through 4 times and now I think the sun shines out it’s bottom! ME2 ftw.

8. Anders

Still kind of interested in this – probably because I’ve never played the Baldurs Gate-series.

9. endgame

i don’t understand why everyone’s complaining. first of all, the trailers were great, not that i’m a manson fan but that “new shit” fit right there with what was happening into the trailers and with what is happening in the world of dragon age. and second of all this is going to be a SPIRITUAL succesor of baldur’s gate, NOT bg2!!! it can even have guns! and explosions! all it has to do is to have SOMETHING in common with that game. :)

10. hitnrun

Possibly because we don’t want, and didn’t think we were following, a “spiritual successor to BG” that has guns, explosions, sex minigames, or Marilyn Manson?

11. mightyhokie

Unless 99% of critics give this game the ‘this is shit’ rating, Im getting it. BioWare has never let me down yet.

12. David

lol I can not believe people are still pissed at the music choice of a trailer. Its just some music to go along with the action in the video. Do you seriously think the game will have Marilyn Manson’s complete discography. Its just there for effect and in regards to the gameplay. Has anyone played the game yet ? At the end of the day you do not know how everything is going to fit together. What I took from the trailer was simply that it was going to be a more mature look at fantasy.

13. Ingenu

Game looks like complete shit, BioWare’s gonna regret trying to cash in on the best Western RPG ever made if things don’t shape up. Believe it or not there is a plethora of adulating fans that still hold BG2 in the highest regard.