Apple cuts iPhone 3G to $99

Monday, 8th June 2009 21:29 GMT By Patrick Garratt

iphone2

Apple’s dropped iPhone 3G to $99 in advance of launching a new model, the iPhone 3GS, later this month. The “S” stands for “speed”.

The news came at Apple’s WWDC keynote in San Francisco today, which featured almost nothing to do with games. Gameloft did show a new racer, though.

Get more from Engadget.

1. mortiferus

I think it’s brilliant to leave the 8GB at $99. I will certainly upgrade on day one to the 32GB model. And yes I saw the Palm Pre, not impressed nice screen though…

2. Mike

I thought it was “gaming centric”? ;)

3. mart

Who said it was gaming centric? It’s a freaking developer conference, not E3.

4. Mike

5. rainer

Kotaku were harping on about it being a gaming centric iPhone only for nothing to be shown off bar a moderately faster iPhone, after that Crecente changed the headline to apple bumps iphone specs.

6. mart

Kotakulol. What the fuck do they know. It does have better specs and beefed up graphics capabilities though, ad-hoc multiplayer and micro transactions; I suppose those would be attractive to game devs. But for them to preempt a gaming-focused announcement at a developer conference is just stupid.

7. JesteR

Well the gaming abilites of the iphone would be interessting but i dont need another cell phone. I would just like to use it as a gaming device but afaik i need to have a provider. Apple should just be brave and release a real gaming handheld.

8. mart

Nah. Multi-function devices are their specialty – a good deal of the appeal of the iPhone is the breadth of possibilities offered by its software platform. A dedicated gaming device wouldn’t be in Apple’s interests nor would it be playing to their strengths as hardware / software designers. People can always just get an iPod touch if they want to forgo the phone aspect.

9. Mike

Christmas purchase for me. They’ll be a tad cheaper by then. In DK, line rental is only 6 months by law, meaning phone prices are sky high. By Christmas it will have come down a bit.

10. mart

Trouble is Mike, waiting 6 more months means that it’ll only be another 6 months til Apple release another new version :)

11. Mike

Yeah, I know. :D

12. Psychotext

Seems pretty cheap.

13. renegadegd

Do they sell unlocked iphones in America? I’m going over there in a few weeks and would love to buy one and bring it back to use with my t-mobile sim.
    Would that be possible?

14. freedoms_stain

No idea renegadegd but you can always jailbreak it.

15. SniperWolf

nice move im definitely buying one at that price

16. endgame

can i order this from some place online? in my countr it’s 436,13 EUR at retail. it’s unfuckingbelievable!