Sony plans to offer digital replacement for UMD games

Thursday, 4th June 2009 22:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgowhite

Sony says that it will offer a digital replacement for UMD games if you buy a PSP Go. Some maybe even be for free.

“We’re in the midst of putting together a good will program”, John Koller told Gizmodo. “We’ll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there’s a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000.

“In the past, we’ve seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that’s going to be the case here. We’ve modeled that. So we’re looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward.”

Stipulations and specifics were not mentioned regarding the service since nothing solid has been decided.

More through the link.

1. Blerk

I should think so, given the price of the Go!

2. deftangel

Good news though. As much as they should have done it I didn’t expect them to.

3. Quiiick

Great move! :)
    Thanks, Sony.

4. XDamage

If I can get all my UMD games backed up to the Go I’ll get it on day one. :D

5. Quiiick

I hope the do the same thing with UMD-movies!

6. Runcle

“a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward.”

Sorry I’m tired and I’ve been drinking but this is a short term plan thats going to last for years afterwards? Bit of a oxymoron isn’t it?

7. crackdude

I’m so getting one if (A) they get me free downloads for all my games or (B) someone figures out “another way” of doing so.

8. jedieagle

hm, here’s a question: What about countries, like mine (Slovenia) that dont have access to PSN? The only way to buy stuff is for me to buy US PSN cards and use them on the US PSN, my credit card is rejected. So, please, any chance of asking them about it? If they dont fix this, PSPGo is completely useless for my country and a few others as well.

9. crippledhooba