Iwata talks Nintendo price cuts and upcoming titles

Thursday, 21st May 2009 21:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

iwataa2

The Nintendo investor briefing that was held on March 8 is now translated and up for your reading pleasure.

In it, Satoru Iwata suggests that he is not adverse to DS or Wii price drops at all – just that it would have to be a global thing.

“I have never said that cutting the suggested retail price is not in the cards. However, price cuts in one country can certainly affect other countries,” he said. “For example, when you say that we should cut the price in Japan due to the current domestic market situation, once the suggested retail price is cut in Japan, people outside Japan will anticipate the same around the world.

“While the price cut is said to surely increase demand, it must be clear from a variety of analysis so far that the effect cannot last very long. Accordingly, if we really do enact a price cut, it must be exactly when it can maximize the business.

“At least for now, I have no specific ideas about the price cut at all.”

Iwata also talks possible pricing strategies, the used game market, and teases titles to be released later in the year.

“The reason why I said today that April, May and June sales of Wii will not reach last year’s results but that the situation will change from the summer of this year was because the company has been preparing for several titles to be launched toward the end of this year that can drive the market.”

Can’t wait.

Hit the link to peruse through things you may or may not have already heard.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Razor

The Wii is going to sail past the PS2.

2. Psychotext

I used to think that was a given… but I’m not too sure any more. Depends what Nintendo do to keep the interest in the console up.

They’ve proven to be smart cookies though.

3. No_PUDding

Wow really Psychotext?

I mean, even I was startign lose faith in the fad thing. Maybe it only feels like a logn fad for those of us who are scrutinising.

4. No_PUDding

In other words, a fad can only die out, once enoguh people have experienced it.

5. Psychotext

I still don’t know about the whole fad thing, but I think this year will show if it’s got the legs to do what the PS2 did.

6. No_PUDding

This is harsh, but I hope to god it fails.

7. anasui

not harsh, just incredibly fanboyish, offensive, ignorant and narrow-minded. Not that I’m surprised, mind it

8. No_PUDding

So… harsh? And offensive? To you personally?

It’s alright little man, things will get better.

9. anasui

myself? Nossir. I’m not Iwata, either do work for Nintendo. I’ve stopped considering Sony fanboys’ puerile talk since 1996. Funny is they still think its cool to shit on Nintendo even when they’re losing. Must be their DNA

10. No_PUDding

Well you sound pretty bitter man.

I think I am off the Sony fanboy list. Am I? I think you shoudl calm down, becuase of the post I said earlier. I am not goign to take it back, becuase at the momemnt it IS threatening hardcore gaming.

But you got to understand, I’d love to see the Wii start to develop a hardcore fanbse.

But dude, I don’t want it to be anymore successful than it is. I want to know hte market is saturated. So now you’ve slapped my wrist, I’ll go back to talking puerile.