Spielberg – Console platforms to go “the way of the Dodo bird”

Wednesday, 20th May 2009 10:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

stevenspielberg

Steven Speilberg’s predicted that games consoles will “someday” cease to exist.

Speaking to The Guardian, the director said that, just like the old “videogame parlours”, consoles and other gaming equipment will go “the way of the Dodo bird”.

“Now we’re all playing at home and someday we’ll be playing directly on our TV sets, bypassing all of the platforms,” he said.

There interview’s in audio format. Get more from Eurogamer.

1. Tonka

SHUT UP OLD MAN! GO AND MAKE SOME CUTE ALIEN MOVIE!

2. SticKboy

While a One Console future seems inevitable, I’m not so sure about a one entertainment appliance future.

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

I know where you’re coming from SticKy but I can’t see sony, ms, nintendo etc giving it up just yet. I guess the best we could hope for is an standard platform that everyone makes a console for.

Like msx and that worked well didn’t it ;)

I guess once it’s built in the telly it’ll get more interesting but only sony can do anything about that out of the big 3 atm…

4. blackdreamhunk

I agree with him, both high production costs and consoles are killing companies. This is really not good in a ression plus consoles are on decline right now. Both mirco soft and sony have lost billions on consoles. I have to wonder did these companies even do a back ground check on the history of consoles? There is a reason so meny companies have gone bankuprt over consoles even apple. I also think alot of publishers and game devs companies will go bankuprt. Sony and micro soft will never ever make back all that money they have lost on consoles.

the only busness I have seen is nintendo.

5. JesteR

Thats just again some idiot talking crap. This guy has no clue about anything and he is probably pissed that games make now more money then movies. If anything then it will be the other way around. Movies are boring in my opinion, especially the newer ones now made.

And if like he says we all play with our TV set….. somebody has to make the hardware for that. Its just so dumb because all he predicts is that instead on a console we get a console build in a TV.

6. Dannybuoy

His new movie is called Dodo the Console: Trouble in Boom Blox Land

7. blackdreamhunk

I am willing to bet he’s a smart man. He is rich and famus because of it :) I would love to learn what he knows.

8. Tiger Walts

“SHUT UP OLD MAN! GO AND MAKE SOME CUTE ALIEN MOVIE!”

With 5 endings.

9. blackdreamhunk

I wonder if anyone knows how much a billion is? well these companies lost billions on these consoles. They are never going to be the same companies they once were.

These next gen consoles are a marketing failure.

check out the number of game devs gone just because of consoles and it’s going to be more.

10. JesteR

@blackdreamhunk

Spielberg fanboy?

11. blackdreamhunk

sure he’s made alot of good movies :)he is also very good business man. I bet I could learn alot from him hehehehe.

Oh I bet he knows alot hot girls too :D

12. Tiger Walts

That first link refers to the original Xbox, which was priced as a loss leader in order to muscle its way into the market. And the same article also points out that 7b USD is a drop in the ocean compared to MS’s income.

If anything is to be learned from the current gen it’s that hardware isn’t the key but software and software technologies. MS and Sony decided to field high-end kit and they both got burned and it could have been avoided.

13. blackdreamhunk

Tiger Walts now your thinking, you need only to look to pc gaming for all the software genres. If they could get all the genres plus mods on to the cheaper platform you have in your hands a huge money pot.

I don’t think pc gaming will ever die either why because of modders, independent and inde game devs. Also not everyone in the world will be able to move over to a new platform.

the total future of gaming will one day be a holo deck lol

I hear if you take a pc projector and wear invidia’s new 3d glassies you have your own holo deck lol

14. Herlock

Who is this guy ?

15. rainer

OnLive is pretty much whats he is describing so were not that far off.

16. blackdreamhunk

it could be something else too who knows :)

hehehe personly either way if it’s onlive or on pc I wait for the next generation of computer gaming.onlive being a super computer will speed things up :D

17. mightyhokie

So instead of paying $300 every five to 8 years for a console we will be paying $1200 for a new TV every 5 to 8 years?

I don’t think so.

18. gorman

Wow. I’m not usually the kind of guy who defends powerful people for the sake of it but… dismissing Steven Spielberg as he’s some kind of ranting idiot really seems quite arrogant.

19. Freek

He’s probably talking about an On Live kind of service, combined with 3D TVs (some current high end HD TVs already support it in some form).

It’s not like it’ll be built into the TV.

It’s all stuff that’s already been talked about before.

20. davidkenobi

Maybe Spielberg has bought some OnLive stocks :)

21. freedoms_stain

@ mightyhokie: as both console and tv hardware progress there’s a good chance new consoles will almost require purchase of a new TV anyway.

The current generation all but requires an HD ready TV as anyone who has tried to read text on an SD TV for many 360 and PS3 games will tell you.

22. Cort

@Herlock,

He’s some alien-obsessed nutter.