Microsoft labels ZuneX a “rumour”

Monday, 18th May 2009 10:09 GMT By Mike

zunex1b

Microsoft has told VG247 this morning that the rumour which emerged over the weekend pertaining to a new a new handheld called ZuneX is simply that: a “rumour”.

The article has got pictures of the ZuneX, deatiled specs and moe importantly it reveals that the handheld can play XBLA games.

However, Microsoft said that it does “not comment on rumour or speculation,” so whether this is just an elaborate hoax or the real deal remains to be seen.

1. Psychotext

I’ve seen so many lazy photochop mockups of what this could be… and that’s one of the ugliest.

2. Tonka

Betetr than the DJ Hero contloler mock up.

3. portaprima

My God, that looks awful!

4. OrphanageExplosion

I call bullshit for a whole host of reasons, but two of the strongest are:

1. XBLA compatibility – no way; the games are coded for Xbox 360 and would need to be ported to another platform. XNA… *maybe* so why not say that on the official document?

2. OnLive ready – errrr… why would Microsoft seek to endorse a competing platform? What next? PSN hookup?

Plus it looks terrible.

5. Hakkiz

Looks like they took a PSP and put a new skin on it. On the other hand, it would be about time for Microsoft to give some news about the Xbox-Zune interconnectivity which, if I remember correctly, Allard talked about a long, long time ago. So maybe not Live Arcade compatibility, but Video/Music Store compatibility. That would be a perfect fit.

6. Superfrog

A logo with the old Xbox ‘X’? Obviously fake.

7. rainer

Yeah that seems a load of bollocks it plays XBLA games but uses an Nvidia GPU and an Intel x86 CPU when the 360 has a IBM PPC CPU and ATI GPU.

8. Aimless

‘Xune’, surely?

Anyway, as has been said it’s clearly fake.

9. Esha

Oh that does look horribly fake.

Not to mention that no one’s used a hand-held that looks that heavy and uncomfortable since the Game Gear. Square edges? Good luck gaming on something that has square edges considering where one’s hands would be. With DS games that use the D-pad, I feel like daggers have been shooting into my hands even after a short time of play. Any hand-held which isn’t focused very much around a touch-screen should not have square edges.

Sony designed the PSP the way they did for a reason, bless ‘em. So this is eitehr A) horribly fake, or B) Microsoft has worse design sense than most Chinese knock-offs.

I’m voting A.

10. chickenbutt

I’d probably buy it if its real. It looks okay. Not really that bad to me =/ I just want to see the features first.