GTA: Chinatown Wars struggled “because of what people are looking to buy,” says Dead Space dev

Monday, 27th April 2009 10:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtachinatownwars3

Dead Space: Extraction exec producer Steve Papoutsis has pinned MadWorld and GTA: Chinatown Wars’ lacklustre reception on Wii and DS down to general unsuitability.

“I think that’s happening because of what people are looking to buy, I guess,” he told VG247 when asked if he was disconcerted by Sega’s struggle in Wii’s core space and GTA: Chinatown Wars’ lack of traction on DS, talking at EA’s spring showcase in London last week.

“I think with our game right now I think we’re hitting on something that’s really interesting and really fun, and we’re hitting on the atmosphere and the visuals that people have started to associate with Dead Space.”

Chinatown Wars managed less than 100,000 units in the US in its opening month, while Sega’s MadWorld sold only 66,000 copies.

Papoutsis didn’t appear to be concerned at Sega and Rockstar’s limited success on Nintendo platforms with M-rated games, saying that he’s keen to see more adult content on Wii.

“As a hardcore gamer myself, I want stuff like this on the Wii,” he added.

“I love the Wii, I love Nintendo. I love all the platforms, but I really want something that I can play co-operatively on the Wii with a friend that hits that sweet spot I think Dead Space: Extraction is in.”

Extraction’s out for Wii this autumn. New shots here.

1. SticKboy

While I admire his optimism, I certainly don’t share it. I fear that DS:E will bomb, hard.

2. Patrick Garratt

3. Blerk

Theoretically it should sell to the same audience Umbrella Chronicles sold to, but we already saw with House of the Dead that that isn’t a dead cert thing if you don’t have the Resi name attached.

4. SticKboy

I’m still hoping that The Conduit makes a decent splash on the Wii, much in the same way GoldenEye 007 did on the N64.

5. Blerk

The Conduit’s got bugger all chance. It’ll be dead on arrival.

6. Patrick Garratt

I really don’t think it will. There’s no more recognisable brand in current games than GTA. I’d love to be proven wrong, but I think it’s a lost cause.

7. Michael O'Connor

“The game looked good, but I don’t think we’re going to be seeing any more “core” Wii and DS games announced from the majors from here on.”

Unless that “core” game happens a first party Nintendo title, in which case it sell millions.

8. deftangel

I think GTA might tick along nicely on the DS over a long period of time. It’s different enough from the mainline GTA’s to warrant picking up. It’s a bit early to write it off completely.

Dead Space on the other hand is going to struggle to not look like a “down port” from the HD versions. It’s probably one of the few games where HD makes a big difference to the game in terms of creating an atmosphere and making it scary/intense etc.

9. Patrick Garratt

Michael – By “core” I mean 18+ action.

Deft – I think the “right” products for the platforms keep selling. April’s NPD will be very telling, I fear.

10. Captain Fruitloop

I think Chinatown Wars will eventually do some business in the longterm, but I can’t see Rockstar rushing to repeat the exercise, especially compared to the kind of numbers Libery & Vice City Stories did on other platforms.

Where next for Rockstar Leeds? Back to the PSP?

11. bxsentinel

well i deft think this rules out a gta on the wii. to bad could have been interesting… thats what nintendo gets for releasing a weaker system and catering so many of their commercials to the family crowd and lots of the female gamers, non of which could care less about gta or madworld.

12. deftangel

I wouldn’t expect GTA to appear in April’s NPD anyway so I’m not sure how definitive that’ll be. If it does chip along it’ll be completely under the radar which is a shame because we won’t know exactly how it’s doing unless Rockstar or Take 2 say.

It’s still charting over here, 3rd in the DS and 24th in the full price charts for last week.

13. anasui

GTADS will be a sleeping hit, because when no other core titles will be available in a certain period some people will say “hey theres always GTA, lets get it”

14. Blerk

We’re not exactly swimming in core titles at the minute, are we?

15. Alex P

Interesting perspective, Patrick. I enjoy your original reporting like this.

I don’t understand exactly Papoutsis sees as the distinction betwen Dead Space: Extraction vs. Chinatown Wars and MadWorld that will make his title succeed on the platform.

16. anasui

Blerk: Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, FFCC EOT, Broken Sword, Avalon Code.

Unless your definition of core game differs from mine, I’d say there’s core titles aplenty

oh, they all come out in March

17. Gekidami

I think you’ll find quite alot of people dont really consider point & click’s and RPG’s as ‘hardcore’ material… Especially point & clicks…

18. Michael O'Connor

“Michael – By “core” I mean 18+ action.”

Wasn’t attacking your view Pat, don’t worry.

I was just commenting on how funny it is that any proper game that sells well on the machine is always one made by Nintendo, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.

Nintendo has always been happy doing its own thing without any third party support. Companies are just desperate to “get it right” on Nintendo’s formats because they’re stuff just isn’t selling on the PS3 or 360.

19. The_Deleted

MadWorld may have been a bit too #zany’ for some. And Dead Space was one of the most over hyped games I’ve had the misfortune to buy into.
    If GTA can’t sell to adults on any given platform, then nothing will.