GTA: Chinatown Wars struggled “because of what people are looking to buy,” says Dead Space dev

Monday, 27 April 2009 10:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt


Dead Space: Extraction exec producer Steve Papoutsis has pinned MadWorld and GTA: Chinatown Wars’ lacklustre reception on Wii and DS down to general unsuitability.

“I think that’s happening because of what people are looking to buy, I guess,” he told VG247 when asked if he was disconcerted by Sega’s struggle in Wii’s core space and GTA: Chinatown Wars’ lack of traction on DS, talking at EA’s spring showcase in London last week.

“I think with our game right now I think we’re hitting on something that’s really interesting and really fun, and we’re hitting on the atmosphere and the visuals that people have started to associate with Dead Space.”

Chinatown Wars managed less than 100,000 units in the US in its opening month, while Sega’s MadWorld sold only 66,000 copies.

Papoutsis didn’t appear to be concerned at Sega and Rockstar’s limited success on Nintendo platforms with M-rated games, saying that he’s keen to see more adult content on Wii.

“As a hardcore gamer myself, I want stuff like this on the Wii,” he added.

“I love the Wii, I love Nintendo. I love all the platforms, but I really want something that I can play co-operatively on the Wii with a friend that hits that sweet spot I think Dead Space: Extraction is in.”

Extraction’s out for Wii this autumn. New shots here.