The Pitt is for both Fallout 3 “completists” and “casual” players, says Bethesda

Tuesday, 17th March 2009 10:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout333

Fallout 3 DLC The Pitt will appeal to both obsessives and casual players just looking for fun and story, Bethesda’s told VG247.

“The content works well for both camps,” said Jeff Gardiner, lead producer on the 360 and PC content.

“If you’re a ‘completist,’ you’ll find not only new Raider Armor, weapons like the AutoAxe, and a new set of power armor, but also be able to experience a new part of Fallout that has been hinted about both in Fallout 3 and the canon as a whole.

“If you’re a casual player, you’ll get hours of new content, a compelling story, plus all of the above.”

The DLC, the game’s second piece after Operation: Achorage, was set in Pittsburgh for several reasons, we were told.

“Pittsburgh has a special resonance with several of our team members,” Gardiner added.

“Plus, it was fun to build large buildings that aren’t completely bombed out, as the city itself escaped direct bombardment during the war. It’s
also relatively close to Washington, DC. Pittsburgh also fit thematically with the notion of exploring a Raider society, which the player will now finally be able to do.”

The Pitt releases for both PC and 360 on March 24, priced 800 MS Points. You’ll get about four hours play from it.

1. Blerk

I really can’t imagine how anyone could play this game ‘casually’. The people who moaned that it was ‘too short’ have totally missed the point.

2. Patrick Garratt

How can anyone say it’s too short? It’s huge.

3. Blerk

Some people were moaning back at release that you can get through the whole of the story mode in less than 20 hours. Which, as I said before, is completely missing the point.

4. Blerk

I’m at 80+ hours now, btw. It’s the best £0.00 I ever didn’t spend. :-D

5. Patrick Garratt

I’m going to go back at some point. If I ever have time. Which I almost certainly won’t :(

6. Gekidami

Whilst theres alot to explore, there arnt many quests to back the locations up, and loot isnt all that intertesting either. So unless you’ve given yourself the mission to visit every bombed out (cookie-cutter) building ridding them of either ghouls, raiders, or super mutants and picking up loads of duplicate weapons, you’re not really gonna have alot to do…

7. Tonka

I’m confused, Blerk. Did you get the game for free or did you spend more than £0.00?

The double negation turns your post into a puzzle.

The best nothing I did not spend.
    I did not spend nothing.
    I spent something.

?????

8. Blerk

I won the game from this very site. I apologise for my double-negativeness. :-)

9. Lutz

Any word on the final expansion? I’m going to buy and complete all 3 in one game.
    I also wonder if they’ll do a Shivering Isles style disc to purchase in store. I’d rather that TBH.

10. Blerk

I’d been contemplating doing that as well, Lutzie. Great minds, etc.

11. Rhythm

Pffft, s’rubbish

12. Lutz

I’ve actually stalled finishing the game off due to the DLC.
    Think I’ll hammer some Halo Wars some more, then ease myself back into Fallout with my 2nd character, going for the evil/neutral achievements, and to get the 1 pure evil quest sorted.

Then when I have all the DLC, I’ll carry on with my uber powerful main character. Evelyn, the cowgirl. \o/

Hmm… thread for “elsewhere” that one… ;)

13. Tonka

Fallout 3 is another game I’ll miss out on not being able to play.

14. mightyhokie

People actually complained that this game was ‘too short’?!?! That is unbelievable!

I played through 3 times to get all the achievements and it took me (not kidding here) 240…and I still bought the DLC ’cause I want more!

Boy, if someone thinks it is too short they are only playing like 2% of that game.