Perry “certain” there’s no UMD in PSP revamp [Update]

Wednesday, 25th February 2009 21:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

umda

Update: Kotaku caught up with Perry today and he said he know someone who’s working on it. Take a look.

Acclaim boss Dave Perry has backed up a tweet earlier today on the lack of UMD support in the heavily-rumoured upcoming PSP revamp, saying he’s “certain” the disc’s out of the new design.

“I can’t reveal my sources, but you can be certain there’s no UMD, which means fully digital online device, and you know I know people,” the exec told GameDaily.

For the record, he’s right. Hit this for the latest on PSP-4000.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Gekidami

Terrible news if its true, pretty much means we’ll never own our own games, they’ll just be ‘rented’ from the publishers who can more or less put any limit they want on how we use them, no more second-hand market either, some stores will go under for sure, the future is looking bleak…

2. Trivi4l

So a handheld Phantom?

3. ecu

Not really terrible news, since every console will go this way eventually. Better get used to it.

4. Hunam

Is Dave Perry really that starved of attention that he feels the need to jeopardize his friends career by flouting NDA’s and leaking information from Sony?

Think he needs his mommy to give him a big hug them give him a swift kick up the arse.

5. Gekidami

Thats what i was on about Ecu. The future looks bleak.

6. Zarckan

He really is an egotistical C0CK!

Can’t stand his fecking smug, I’m so fecking clever cos I invented Earthworm Jim!

FECK OFF you untc

7. SERAPHEMZ

I like the sliding monitor. Dont like the sound of no UMD.
    People may not want to shell out more money for 8-16 gig memory sticks, and as hard as it is to believe, not everyone is online, and if online, not everyone has hi speed internet. Try downloading 1 gig game on dial up…no thanks.

8. Mike

So, Perry didn’t just get this story from internet sites like this one? Apology accepted! :P

9. DaMan

who the fuck has dial-up now??

“The ultimate goal, he says, is for the Playstation Portabel to go 100 percent digital.” “it would essentially kill the used game sales market.”

yeah, though you can still download games illegally.

10. Gamoc

Except, you know, it’ll be a completely new system.

11. Hunam

What used game market? No one buys PSP games anyway.

12. Gamoc

Incorrect, I do.

13. Hunam

Then you must be the highly talked abou no one.

14. DaMan

noone buys used PSP games though =P

15. DaMan

and a few buy not used games.

16. Blerk

So….. are they going to let you trade in your UMD games for a free digital download? Hmm?

17. Rhythm

That’d be a nice idea Blerk but they don’t let you convert PS1 CDs into digital copies so I’d wager not ;-)

I buy far more games digitally than I ever though I would but being limited to *only* being able to buy by that method concerns me a little. My guess is that I’d end up buying a lot less actual games than I currently do.

And the chances of finding mint condition copies of rare titles in sales would be out of the window – I got Rez and Amplitude as part of a “3 for £10″ deal this weekend at Game but deals like that would be few and far between.

18. deftangel

If they take the same approach Valve has with Steam to the PSP software store then they’ll do well out of this. Being nice to the people who bought UMD already might be a good idea.

It could be good, it could be a bit of a car crash. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

19. Shatner

“I can’t reveal my sources”

becausethey’resiteslikethisoneandI’dlookdumblol