January NPD: Nintendo clear hardware winner once again

Thursday, 12th February 2009 23:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

nintendo

The January 2009 NPD hardware results have just been released, and, surprising no one, Nintendo is the definitive winner of the lot.

The results are as follows:

• Wii – 679,000
  • DS – 510,000
  • Xbox 360 – 309,000
  • PS3 – 203,000
  • PS2 – 101,000
  • PSP – 172,000

The run down on all the January numbers can be found here.

1. reask

PS3 needs price cut rapid.
    BR is doing it no good.

2. Bleak Harvest

The Wii is a monster. A dust-busting monster.

I can’t believe a $400 console is 103,000 units behind one with a SKU at half that price. Sony loyalty still counts for something… just not sure how much it’s worth. Well done to Nintendo and Microsoft for keeping the holiday momentum up.

I was going to type “In before ‘price cut!’”.. but… yeah.

3. Psychotext

That’s another PS2 record beaten (490k sold in January), and beaten handily. Pure insanity.

4. Johnny Cullen

I really hope Killzone 2 can do something next month.

Seriously.

5. Psychotext

There’s a pretty good chance it’ll do something, but I wouldn’t expect miracles.

6. Bleak Harvest

Yeah, we won’t see sales like we did with Gears 2.

7. G1GAHURTZ

I think Killzone 2 will do better in Europe than it will in the US.

Pre-orders for it are weak, and judging by the absolute lack of PS3 games in the NPD software sales chart, American PS3 owners must be spending their money on something other than games.

8. Blerk

Given the price gap, the time of year and the state of the US economy, I’m surprised the PS3 is doing as well as it is.

9. Patrick Garratt

A heavy price cut and sales would go bananas. It’s tough for Sony on a PR level, but I honestly don’t think they’re in a “bad place” with PS3. They’re doing what they’re doing deliberately.

10. Psychotext

I wonder if that would work as their new slogan?

“PS3: The bad place”