Eurogamer gives Fallout 3 DLC Operation Anchorage 5/10

Tuesday, 27th January 2009 13:42 GMT By Mike

fallout3b31.jpg

Eurogamer has published the first review of Bethesda’s Fallout 3 DLC and wasn’t too impressed if the decidedly average 5/10 score is anything to go by.

From the review:

I love Fallout 3. I love it to an almost indecent extent. It was far and away my game of 2008, and doesn’t look like being knocked out of my personal top spot for a good while yet. But when you sift out its role-play, the ammo-box inspection and the exploration and draft in a fleet of health and ammo regeneration points to compensate… well, affairs just feel shallow and somewhat naked. Hopefully a lesson has been learnt at Bethesda towers. Business as usual next time please.

Operation: Anchorage is available now on PC and 360 for 800 Microsoft Points.

Full review through the link.

1. Robo_1

lol.. and after all the drama about it not coming to PS3!

2. Michael O'Connor

At least 5 = average for once, instead of “shit”.

Still getting this. I enjoyed the main game, and I’d rather make up my own mind instead of having someone else make it up for me.

Still two DLC expansions left anyway, and those two always seemed like the more interesting ones.

3. Blerk

Oh dear!

Some people will be pleased! :-D

4. Morrius

Fallout 3? Average? Yup.

5. fearmonkey

I wasn’t expecting alot from the first DLC, and I plan to get it anyway. And to any huge RPG fan, Fallout 3 was anything but average.

6. Michael O'Connor

You’re such a rebel Morrius.

7. Blerk

I think my big problem here is really ‘value for money’. This is the second bit of big-name DLC we’ve had where people have complained that it’s all over within a couple of hours.

Now you can argue that it’s ‘only’ 800 points, but that’s like £7 for a couple of hours. Compare that to the full release which is god-knows-how-many-hours for (say) £30 or less (once internet shopping discounts are applied) and all of a sudden the DLC’s not looking to be such great value after all.

I’d kind of like to see an end to the ‘bite-size’ DLC and a move towards more substantial stuff – more like the proper add-on packs of old. Or the GTAIV DLC, if what they’re saying actually turns out to be reality.

8. Retroid

It’s closer to £5 at the price I’ve got points for :)

9. rainer

Interesting criticism I found Fallout 3 to have an over abundance of everything bar bobby pins which were the only item in short supply. You get so many stim packs midway to the end your practically invulnerable too.

10. fearmonkey

@rainer…yeah I found that to be the case as well.
    Always running out of Bobby pins, but never had a shortage of stimpacks.

11. theevilaires

wheres psychofag on this article …..oh its bad news for M$ he doesn’t show up when this stuff is around. Anyway i told you this game was a big disappointment for many including myself.ps3 owners you can rest now and sit back for killzone 2

12. Retroid

Because they’re the same type of game.