Sony: We probably announced Home too early

Friday, 9th January 2009 10:29 GMT By Mike

home1b1.jpg

Speaking with Develop, Home game director Peter Edward said that Sony “probably announced it too early.”

“Initially, there was real excitement from people, because we were showing something really different and that had a lot of potential,” he said.

“And then there’s the realisation that, well, we probably announced it too early – GDC 07 was a long time ago. I think there was sort of recognition amongst developers of ‘Oh, this is interesting, but there’s still a lot of work to be done.”

Full interview through the link.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I think that if they didn’t announce it so early, they probably would have canned it months ago.

2. Blerk

That’s probably precisely why they wish they hadn’t announced it so early! :-D

3. Syrok

:D

4. SreyaNotfilc

You know, I had an idea very similar to Home a while back when I was in middle school. There’s still so much more that Sony can do to make this amazing, but I’m not sure if they are willing to do so. I’m not sure if they would have scrapped it or not. It does seemed like they didn’t think it through which is rather lame. I mean, the amount of work to create Home’s software must be daunting. Working that hard on a project that doesn’t really do anything worthwhile is ridiculous.

I’m still trying to figure out what their goal is for Home besides having the gamer put down some money for virtual items. I don’t have a PS3 so I haven’t had a chance to play it. Judging from screenshots, comments, and videos, right now Home is just a dull interface to communicate with other gamers and to show off your what-medals? What a lame way to spend your day. Then again, I think the Sims is a dull game, but my sister’s can’t get enough of it. :(

Hopefully Sony will continue to make Home more than what I have stated above. It has so much potential, but I fear that the updates to this will be more along the lines of “Hey we get LBP posters for your wall that will sell for $5!!!”

5. Quiiick

Quote [SreyaNotfilc]: “Then again, I think the Sims is a dull game, but my sisters can’t get enough of it.”

Like always: Your mileage may vary.

As I said before, I do like HOME a lot but it really needs to grow in many ways.
    One of the biggest concerns I have right now is that HOME (EU version) is so damn small. As of now it comprises of only 3 buildings, 1 small open area and your appartement. It really needs to grow into a small town with at least a few dozens of locations for very different interests and activities.

6. SreyaNotfilc

Exactly, hopefully Sony is just observing what’s happening on a massive scale and will create and build upon it accordingly.

7. fearmonkey

The problem with home is that for it to work as planned, the world needs to be more utopian.
    Reality sucks and the whole girl harassment thing shows
    that a good idea doesnt necessarily work in real life.
    Kind of like Xbox live too, great idea we can all game together, but hearing all the teens curse, rant, and generally say unpleasant things brings reality home.

8. Retroid

Precisely why the idea of dropping you in with randoms was such a bloody stupid idea.