360 leads PS3 by 1 million consoles in EFIGS

Tuesday, 16th December 2008 16:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox360logo2.jpg

According to this Eurogamer piece, Xbox 360 has a 1 million console lead of PS3 in the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

GfK Chart-Track data is cited as the source.

Earlier this month, Sony Europe president David Reeves told MCV that PS3′s installed base was 300,000 bigger than Xbox 360′s “in PAL territories”, which also includes countries outside Europe, like Australia.

The news comes after month of ping pong between the two firms on who has the lead in Europe.

Plenty more through the link, but no actual numbers – Chart-Track’s funny like that.

1. Blerk

EFIGS? UFIGS, surely? :-D

Do they not track sales in the rest of Europe, then? That’s kind of disappointing for a supposedly Europe-wide service.

2. G1GAHURTZ

The European figures are anybody’s guess.

Everyone seems to be presenting different numbers.

I take them all with a pinch of salt.

3. Psychotext

It is a little annoying… and you really can’t blame Sony for focussing on PAL territories if ChartTrack data doesn’t give them much to work with.

Based on what we know of the UK numbers, we can basically state that the PS3 and 360 are neck and neck when you consider France, Italy, Spain and Germany combined.

4. deftangel

If they are neck and neck in FIGS then that’s a bit of a turnaround because this time last year Microsoft were getting beasted in nearly all those territories.

5. theevilaires

news from eurogamer? chyea…. i rather hear news from anarticagamer :P Happy Holidays

6. ruckus

That’s what microsoft deserve, a good beasting. Feel sorry for the other beast though :(

7. Retroid

I bet they were a’llama’d to hear that.

8. Tonka

OMG, the PS3 really is shit isn’t it?

9. 599USD

PS3 is an absolute failure. Sony’s arrogance and absolutely shit customer service they deserve to be at the bottom. Good riddance Sony.

10. morriss

I thought stuff like replacing a faulty console was like next day UPS delivery with Sony? That’s excellent customer service, that.

11. Psychotext

More like Kotaku every day…

12. airdom

when my 360 rrod’d 1 year and a half ago, i sent it on a friday, and on monday i had a new you.

”That’s excellent customer service, that.”

13. airdom

* a new one

can’t edit posts with this damn proxy!

14. morriss

I’m not saying one customer service is better than the other. I’m simply saying that that isn’t “absolute shit customer service.”

15. airdom

well i got excellent service.

16. SilentLoner

Jesus, I really hate this negativity all the fanboys come out the woodwork :(

17. airdom

from what i notice, there was wayyyyy less fanboy’ism than some other posts!

18. Doomsayer

I think the overall fanboyism is getting lesser and lesser since the ps3 didnt take off as all of the sony boyz always predicted. Guess we should all just have a cold beer together and celebrate that we are proud gamerz.

Cheers

19. Psychotext

Were gamecube and xbox owners at each others throats like this last gen? I didn’t see much bitching and sniping, but then I didn’t spend a lot of time on gaming websites back then so I might just have missed it.

20. Doomsayer

Hmmm i think it goes even back to the good old Atari ST vs. Amiga times, but this was more fun then for real. But lately some peepz are realy getting angry and all mad about a fuckin gaming system…and good thing was not everybody had access to BBS Systems back in the days ;)

21. Mad-elph

I still haven’t understood the Arrogance argument, can someone please tell me how Sony is arrogant without being too much a fanboy about it.

Also as for customer service, I can’t speak to Sony’s as I’ve never had to use it, unlike MS who 360 owners must use at least twice in three years, thats the average deal with it.

If sony is arrogant for making their product expensive then that is the worst excuse ever.

22. Mad-elph

airdom thats a bit ironic coming from you…

23. Psychotext

Mad-elph: Do you not remember the “first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even if it didn’t have games” comment? Or “The next generation doesn’t start until we say it does”?

24. Michael O'Connor

“Were gamecube and xbox owners at each others throats like this last gen?”

People bought those?

I jest. Great machines. The GameCube lacked in games, but the first-party stuff was great. The original Xbox simply lacked in variety, but still had a few rare gems.

*goes to play Banjo & LBP*

Live and let live, and all that.

25. SilentLoner

There was a headstart with the xbox 360 that was sony’s mistake in my opinion

26. theevilaires

#
    SilentLoner said:

December 16th, 2008 at 9:13 pm

There was a headstart with the xbox 360 that was sony’s mistake in my opinion

stupid little kids haven’t you heard of rrod. sony’s system seems to be doing just fine since launch. you would know if you had either one.

27. theevilaires

#
    599USD said:

December 16th, 2008 at 5:35 pm

hahahahaha this is the love child of morris and psybitch

28. Psychotext

Can I count this one as my third stalker?

29. theevilaires

#
    airdom said:

December 16th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

”That’s excellent customer service, that.”

ahahahhaha another one bites the dust

30. Syrok

@Psycho: Who are the other two?

31. Psychotext

Newbie and No_PUD.

32. onyxbox

“Also, where do you get your average 360 failure rates from? I’m always interested in seeing new info on the subject.”

I know 11 people friends in real life and people in work that have a 360.

All of them have had RRoD – 100% failure rate.

I am now on my 3rd brand new Falcon unit since Nov and both faulty machines had a manufacturer date of October.

I love the games and online features but the hardware is a cheap box of crap and MS has virtually no quality control.

If the community features weren’t so good the 360 would be dead by now, but like me… many others will have got themselves a 2nd system because at the moment being without one just isn’t an option.

If my friends were on PSN and the PS3 had the same kind of chat and party features I’d ditch the 360 in a blink.

33. Psychotext

Ahh… I thought you might have got them from a site or a survey or something. =/

34. No_PUDding

Well I’ll admit living up to my fanboy name that out my friends who are owners it’s been 100% so far.

Per 360, three RRODed and one launch kept destroying disks (I spent one evening using vinegar one Rainbow Six Vegas, becuase ti was like plastic was burnt onto it) and now the ones they’ve had have been fien so far.

I say launch, my friend got his original disk eating one in February last year. And it only gave up the ghost about 4 months ago.

But I’d be shocked if they were consistently that bad. I don’t think they are, there are just unfortunate coincidences, or perhaps certain worse batches.

And to give everyone another selective piece of data from my friends, no one will buy a PS3 until it’s cheap. One has got one as an early Christmas present, but no more.

Which I think is totally fair.

35. Cort

@599USD,

We don’t like trolls here. Fuck off back under your bridge.

36. No_PUDding

Don’t we?

The place seems to be full of them today, you must be able to forgive him for not realising he wasn’t welcome.

37. Cort

Yeah, but when you also have a trolling username, you are really pushing your luck.

(Edited)

38. No_PUDding

Well the jokes on him. He’s missing out on a PS3 cus he thinks it’s still $599, right? Pay him no mind.

Anyway, get out you dirty Americanas!

39. 599USD

Right, I’m missing out on an overpriced, oversized book weight which more than half its games that are considered “AAA” are on the 360. Nice job calling me a troll, facts stand that PS3 = weaksauce.

40. Psychotext

Wheeeeee…. this place is fucking great today.

What xmas cheer.

41. Cort

@599USD,

Troll.

42. 599USD

Dumbass.

cwutididthere?

43. Cort

@399USD*,

Why all of a sudden have you decided to add a personal link to your username? Do you think I really care for who you are, or am I more interested in what you are saying? Do you assume that I must be some sort of unwashed, uneducated blue-collar worker on minimum wage, easily intimidated by a member of a superior social and intellectual class? Do you think that telling me that you are a Professor of Theoretical Physics will make me think that – all of a sudden – you are in fact not a troll at all and that I should immediately bow to your greater intellectual prowess?

Or do you think that telling me you are a Professor of Theoretical Physics renders me rather amused (and, at the same time, somewhat depressed) that a Professor of Theoretical Physics spends some of his valuable time trolling a website with the opinions and attitude of a petulant, spoilt, pre-pubescent boy? What *were* you thinking exactly?

Astounding arrogance, pomposity and snobbery from an educator (sic). Your wife, children and President of Caltech must be so proud.

* see what I did there?

44. Mad-elph

Its odd really… people really are lining up against them, just because they provide a great service.

Say what you want… I enjoy my PS3, the games are good so piss off if you disagree. Home is good, its not a 2ndlife, its a way to meet and interact with other games… you don’t have pay for anything in it if you don’t want to. It is a way to chat with people, then jump into a game together… the girl chasing will end.

The PS3 has not hit the end of the road, its still adding hundreds or thousands of users each month, and all are buying games too.

Just take this gen as different from others, there are three competitors and Sony isn’t in the lead, unlike the last two gens. PS3 isn’t tanking, its just slow given its competitors price. The fact that people get mad its expensive is silly, don’t get mad that its not the same price as the 360 cause its a better bundle of machine than the 360. Had HD-DVD won we all know what we’d be hearing now.

Finally, once the price comes down people will buy, even 360 users that are feed up with RROD are waiting for it’s price to drop. We all know that devs have worked out how to work with the cell and dev tools, it’ll get better and 360 users will see advances in PS3 games soon, if not now already.