NXE team working on Marketplace “issues”

Thursday, 20th November 2008 08:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxea6.jpg

Nelson’s posted to say the NXE team is aware that Xbox Live Marketplace is experiencing some “issues” – as in, it’s not working properly – but that in general, yesterday’s release of the New Xbox Experience was “incredible”.

“As you can imagine, it’s been an incredible day so far for the New Xbox Experience,” said the exec.

“It’s great to see so much enthusiasm… it sounds like you are having fun exploring NXE. With an update of this magnitude, reaching more than 14 million people around the globe, we are aware some of you may be experiencing a few hiccups along the way.

“The LIVE team is closely monitoring the LIVE service and Xbox.com and are aware of a few issues including what’s happening with Marketplace. The team is actively working on the issues, so thanks for bearing with us.”

Some problems did pop up yesterday, but all told the release went remarkably smoothly.

More throughout the day.

1. Newbie101

So what’s the verdict? Is it easier to navigate and find stuff? I’ve not updated my 360 yet.

2. morriss

It’s good.

3. Blerk

morrissavatarlol! :-D

4. morriss

what’s that link again?

5. Blerk

This one, you mean?

Richard Hammond on drugs. :-D

6. morriss

hehe

7. evilashchris

Ha ha ha that’s amazing :D

I demand to see Blerks now, I imagine it to look like that bloke who sits next to the phone in Zelda games :D

8. Blerk

I don’t have a 360 so I don’t have one. I do have “Lego Blerk” as my avatar on the EG forums. That’s pretty accurate.

9. evilashchris

Eep! It looks like a terminator version of ‘This is Your Life’!

I now imagine Blerk to look really rather handsome.

*ulp*

10. Blerk

Of course you do! Doesn’t everyone? :-)

11. Esha

@Newbie101 (and on NXE in general)

The UI is absolutely fantastic, it’s an improvement over Blades in just about every way imaginable. I still pertain that the Avatar/Facebook stuff is more than a bit shit though.

After having had the Avatar system forced upon me, I did what I could with it. I tried to create VaultBoy with it, but that was a rather disappointing failure. The Tintin eyes, a certain mouth, and a very round face-shape came very close, but the hair selection is a bit crap really. I could do VaultBoy, but without VaultBoy’s hair, and half of VaultBoy is in the hair.

So instead, I created a drugged-out hippie, and that’ll have to do (even though they didn’t have sandals, which is a crime). I am amused by the fact that he spends most of his time spinning his head around slowly as if to mimmick “Woaaahh, look at all the colours.“, but I can only assume that all avatars do that. But mine has a reason for it.

I would’ve loved to be able to completely avoid the avatar thing though, I hate them all, creepy Playmobil people. It’s fine for anyone who has no imagination whatsoever, but for the small minority who engage themselves in creative works… it’s bloody stifling.

I feel like I’ve had a bland, poorly made doll shoved into my hands by a dull-featured, suit-encrusted man who’s apparently making the claim aloud that “this is you”. My response is, quite frankly, “Fuck off!“.

12. Shatner

“I feel like I’ve had a bland, poorly made doll shoved into my hands by a dull-featured, suit-encrusted man who’s apparently making the claim aloud that “this is you”.”

Bingo.

13. Blerk

Where does it say in the terms and conditions that it actually has to look like you? You could just pick one of the random ones from startup and then ignore it forever.

14. Quiiick

Cross-dressers will not be happy with these avatars either …

15. morriss

I doubt Rare’s developer’s and designers are men in suits. Don’t worry Esha. I’m sure Home will deliver everything more than adequately for you.

16. Shatner

What’s Home got to do with any of these comments morriss?

17. Tonka

Is the New Era of Entertainment being compared to Home?