Gamers react badly to anti-MadWorld remarks

Thursday, 13th November 2008 12:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

madworld2.jpg

“Decency” pressure group Media Watch UK has come under fire from angry gamers after it said MadWorld sounded “very unsavoury” without ever seeing the title, and that it hoped the BBFC would refuse to classify it.

The remarks were made famous by an article in UK “newspaper,” the Daily Mail.

The body received emails telling it to “shut the fuck up,” claiming it had got its “knickers in a twist” and accusing it of “narrow minded bigotry”.

Media Watch is now claiming games publication “grossly exaggerating the significance of our comments”.

Yeah. Because we’re pretty sure you judged something baselessly, got the shit kicked out of you and now you’re blaming others. Maybe you got those emails for a reason. Maybe you should be looking for some “decency” in your fucking glass houses.

More through the link.

1. Gamoc

“Newspaper” is right. Damn Daily Mail.

2. Shatner

People overreacting, telling anyone else to STFU and generally being aggressive is a really bad way to demonstrate why you’re such a well-balanced, mature and responsible people to be presented with strong, violent material.

I’m sure ‘gamers’ put far less research into what Media Watch do or what their goal and objectives were before they launched their sweary tirade.

Don’t put some fucking ridiculous pious spin on what is nothing more than angry mob mentality overreacting without thinking before they attack anyone who might limit their god-given ‘right’ to play certain games. It’s no better than other parties seeking to ban unreleased videogames based on their own lack of research or knowledge. It’s alarmist and a gross overreaction.

This sort of reaction is PRECISELY why other groups seek to govern and regulate gaming. Because gamers consistently show they’re immature, aggressive, reactionary and unthinking.

I’m all for having violent videogames and all against censorship, but in scenarios like this, gamers are their own worst enemy. Suggesting that people who tell others to “shut the fuck up” are the ones that should be sympathised in all this is ridiculous.

pwn goal by gamers, again.

The issue was given it’s profile thanks to media like the Daily Mail skewing it out of proportion. Now the games media is skewing things further. What a mess.

3. patlike

You are completely wrong. These are middle-aged, right wing people attempting to blindly censor legitimate entertainment. They should be attacked. There is nothing wrong with telling a bigot to “shut the fuck up.” I wish to God that more people would.

4. Shatner

If you genuinely believe the term “Shut the fuck up” can ever effectively achieve anything constructive then I’m afraid it’s you that’s wrong.

“Shut the fuck up” is never going to get a good result and people who use it are never going to get what they want.

Trying a more measured, less sensationalist, approach is far more likely to get people to give a shit about what you think. Telling them to “shut the fuck up” is only going to make THEM look reasonable and YOU look intolerant.

Like I said, I’m against censorship. There’s right ways to do things and wrong ways. STFU is the wrong way. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment, pat, just your method of expression.

5. patlike

In your opinion, of course. I personally feel that people like Media Watch can’t be reasoned with. It’s a very dangerous group. I’m glad people said what they said to them, as it’s a raw display of feeling. I’d be perfectly happy to tell it to “shut the fuck up” all fucking day, frankly. It’s the reserve of the right to say, “If you swear you can’t be treated seriously,” while it puts a fucking tie on and attempts to perform actions any democracy should abhor. “Shut the fuck up” is a perfectly reasoned response to the sort of cretin that decides other people’s creative output should be made available without even knowing what it is. “Shut the fuck up” works just fine. No one should allow them the glee of treating them seriously. They’re a fucking joke.

6. Psychotext

I like passionate Pat. More please. :)

7. Shatner

Pat, your negotiation skills are shit.

In my opinion.

8. ShakaCarnage

GO PAT! Good points, though, Shatner. I just think any kind of censorship is wrong in princple. I mean, it’s like they’re telling me that as a child of 29, I can’t make my own judgements on which games to play; I only get to chose from the ones they say I can.

9. patlike

I don’t give a fuck what people think of me. If I believe in something, I champion it. I believe in intellectual freedom, and despise those that don’t.

But yes, I can be a little “head on” :)

10. patlike

I have to sleep for a bit.

11. MesserWolf

Pat for president !! ;)

I agree with pat :)

12. deftangel

Shatner’s not completely wrong.

There’s no doubt Mediawatch are just after some free publicity (because virtually nobody listens to them these days) and are wailing with the violins out about how unfair it all is. If I thought for a moment they had any understanding of the games media and associated culture it would be almost a perfect “stealth troll”. As it is, they just got lucky.

The effect however, is the same. Amongst some perfectly reasonable strongly worded and well deserved criticism they will undoubtedly have gotten several e-mails from “l337 gamerz” with terms like “u fuckin n00bs” which does nobody any favours.

His comments about the gaming media are bollocks. Call it for what it is in the most robust terms by all means but a bunch of abusive e-mails simply gives them more ammunition so those so inclined need to be discouraged where possible.

Jack Thompson wasn’t made to look like a clown by people telling him to STFU. Most of it was self inflicted but it was those who legitimately called him out who gave him a push.

13. morriss

You should see Pat when he’s angry….

*shudders*

14. Tonka

Stealth “I’m Pats civil partner” post?

15. Psychotext

They do make a beautiful couple.

16. Esha

I’m in two minds about this, both pat and Shat (that’s fun to write) are both right and wrong in different ways. Let’s look at this from a different angle.

Are Media Watch right-minded bigots who probably can’t be reasoned with? Well, I can’t know for sure but it certainly sounds like that’s the case. Do those opposing them sound like drooling, tubby goggle-box addicted mendicants who’re able to do little other than sing the praises of violence through expletives? Well, yes.

So we have…

Group A) Hi, we wish to have a game censored because we don’t like the sound of it. We haven’t actually looked at it yet ourselves, though, tbh.

Group B) Ah ya fuckin’ pansy maggots, an’ yer fuckin’ political correctness, shut the fuck up!

Do I want to agree with either group?

No I don’t.

I want to distance myself from both.

But what if…

Group B) I do think it would be constructive if you were to inform the public exactly what issues you have with this game, and restore our confidence in you by showing us that you’ve thouroughly researched the material you’re criticisng so harshly. We believe that if you wish to call for censorship of a given piece of entertainment, you should at least have a well-reasoned set of points as to why you’d wish to see this censorship put to action.

STFU doesn’t always work, it just makes the people opposing the right-wing bigots just as bad.

I’m a lefty myself, and I oft find myself irritated by bigotry and small-mindedness too, but I also find myself equally as irked by acts of idiocy. I can’t say I’m a fan of either.

Because to be honest, the same people who’re telling Media Watch to STFU are the same people who’re being loose enough with their money during this recession to spend £40 on an expansion. :p Idiots are idiots, plain and simple, if they seem to ally themselves with a position that supports your viewpoint, it doesn’t make them any less idiotic. They just want their violent game, and they really don’t give a damn about bigotry or the true evils of censorship. So let’s stop pretending that the idiots in this case are actually any better, eh?

Tbh, praising people of that ilk gets on my tit as much as Media Watch poo-pooing this game without even looking at it.

17. Freek

It’s not videogames that make people agressive, it’s pro censorhip “family” groups that piss people off.