Microsoft sells 2.2 million 360s in last quarter

Friday, 24th October 2008 10:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xbox360logo5.jpg

Microsoft’s first quarter financials have confirmed that 2.2 million Xbox 360s were made and sold in the period.

“We sold 2.2 million Xbox 360 consoles, representing over 20 percent growth, as retailers stocked inventory ahead of the holiday season,” Bill Koefoed, general manager of investor relations, told the AFP.

The exec noted that Xbox 360 outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by more than 100,000 consoles over the quarter, ending September 30.

Game sales were down for the period year on year, but Microsoft attributed this to the launch of Halo 3 in 2007.

“The expected decline, due to the comparison to the quarter a year ago that included the launch of Halo 3, was milder than expected due to stronger-than-expected Xbox 360 console sales,” said Koefoed.

More through the link.

1. onyxbox

thats nice for them.

2. Blerk

Beating Sony by 100,000 consoles isn’t really good enough if they reckon they’re going to clearly “win” this generation (handily forgetting the Wii).

Should be interesting to see what happens over Christmas.

3. Psychotext

Depends on how they defined it Blerk (they never did define it). If they mean that they’ll still be leading worldwide by the time they release their next console I’d say they have a shot of pulling it off.

4. G1GAHURTZ

How do you “win” the generation?

Is one console sale more than your rivals enough?

5. patlike

I reckon it’ll be double that in the Christmas quarter. Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I’m basing this on thin air, obviously.

*jet lag*

6. Psychotext

What I find quite impressive is that they’ll have beaten the original xbox soon, and even with the RRoD fiasco lost no-where near as much money doing it.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Apparently Microsoft have a history of knowing how to make money!

lol.

8. Truk

Have MS actually made an overall profit on the Xbox projects?

9. Psychotext

You mean taking everything into account since the original xbox Truk? No, not even vaguely close. There’s an outside chance they can make an overall profit on the 360 though.

10. Truk

Yeah, I did.

I see. I guess it doesn’t matter to them in the context of (what I imagine is) their master plan.

11. Tonka

That is about 20% of their total innit? In what 1/10th of its existance?

12. deftangel

@Gigahurtz: I think Microsoft would define winning the generation slightly differently to that of Sony or Nintendo. Seriously blunting Sony’s influence in the living room would be a victory for them, and that’s happened regardless if Sony manage to sell a handful more in Japan to take an overall “lead” when all is said and done.

I think this Christmas is going to be one of damage limitation for the latter given the price point difference mind.

13. G1GAHURTZ

I dunno…

I used to think that that would have been their target towards the beginning of this generation, but that was back when most people thought that the market share between the PS3 and the 360 would be something close to 70/30.

However, since those days MS have managed to grab the majority market share between the two and also maintain an advantage (even though the gap is narrowing). So even though I agree that just stealing some market share would probably have been the target at the start of this generation, I think that they’ll be aiming much higher now.

I think that they’ll see winning as selling more 360′s than Sony can sell PS3′s, worldwde.

Whether that’s 1 more, 100,000 more or 10 million more, I don’t think makes much difference in terms of the target to “win”.

14. Truk

I’d imagine that the idea of winning is something that only matters to geeks on gaming sites. They probably keep the idea going because it generates interest and thus sales. The only thing they almost certainly actually care about is making a profit (whether long- or short-term).

15. OrphanageExplosion

Should be interesting to see what happens over Christmas.

Well if Microsoft is selling more consoles than PS3 on a continuous basis, then that, coupled with the already significantly larger installed base means that they are indeed well on their way to beating Sony.

And the bottom line is that HD movies apart, Xbox 360 is basically doing the same job as the PS3 (often better) and it’s a lot cheaper.

Japan isn’t going well for Sony. I’m guessing Sony really needs Europe to take up the slack – ironic considering the contempt the company usually shows the region.

I used to think that MS’s claim that they will sell more units globally than Sony was all wind and piss, but it’s looking more and more likely.

16. Blerk

I’m sure it would’ve been all wind and piss if Sony hadn’t completely ballsed it up for themselves. Several times over.

17. bxsentinel

makes me wonder if they are selling these many consoles; when they will finally get around to the jasper units and finish all the falcon stock?

18. Blerk

The new hardware revision will almost certainly be cheaper to produce, so no doubt they’ll want to move to that configuration as quickly as possible. Who knows how much old stock is still in the channel, though.