Confirmed – Star Wars: The Old Republic announced, first details

Tuesday, 21st October 2008 22:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

theoldrepublica3.jpg

Star Wars: The Old Republic – an EA-published, BioWare-developed story-driven MMO – has just been announced in San Francisco.

The game has been confirmed for PC only and has no release date at this time.

It’s set a few thousand years before Darth Vader’s reign when the Republic and Sith still were at loggerheads with one another. In fact, its just a few hundred years after the era that Knight of the Old Republic was set it, for those of your who followed the Xbox RPGSs.

We’re told you can be Jedi, Sith and many more characters from within the mythology. The game will focus on your character’s choices and it is here the light and dark side of the force plays its central role in your character’s development.

We’re promised the game will be more story-driven than previous MMOs with the aim being to emotionally involve people as well as offering a traditional massively multiplayer experience.

More soon.

Remember we’re live-blogging the whole thing right here. So don’t miss out.

1. Quiiick

Great … another game playing in the “Star Wars” univers … :(

2. Quiiick

… I was 18 years old when the first “Star Wars” movie came out. It was really a fresh breath of air back than, in seventy-seven, but sure is boring as hell nowadays …

3. Smartypants

Great. Yet another MMO. Oooh what exciting news! We didn’t see that one coming! Any word on KotOR 3 or are we stuck with this shitty MMO for the foreseeable future?

4. Quiiick

EA is really playing it save by choosing THE best known entertainment-industry franchise of all.

Bet they will make it F2P (free to play) too, to even broaden the accessibility? ;)

5. deanimate

christ…

6. Quiiick

@ Smartypants
    I don’t mind it being an MMO!
    You can’t blame a game for being a certain genre, can you?

But choosing the “Star Wars”-franchise is definitely a let down for me.
    I really wish they made a “Mass Effect” MMO. That would have been very interesting …

But maybe having space-combat in an MMO will be extremely fun, even if it’s “Star Wars”! :)

7. Smartypants

I can blame it for being that genre all I want because the first two games, fondly remembered and loved by many, are a completely different genre. I liked the KotOR franchise and they fucked it over to make some MMO out of it in the hope of getting some of that WoW cash.

8. Quiiick

… Well that’s the fate of being “Star Wars”, I guess.
    It’s an immense money-machine.

9. Quiiick

Never played KotOR. It was an RPG, wasn’t it?

10. absolutezero

You had to enter a menu to open a door.

It was ground-breaking.

11. morriss

Two of my favourite games ever.

12. Blerk

Wow!

Oh, wait… Sorry. I meant “meh”.

13. Esha

I’m excited.

I think that with Bioware experiences though, as I’ve said elsewhere, tend to be a “You understand it if you were there then.” kind of thing.

If one has ever played NWN via NW Connections (again, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere), then one knows why a new online Bioware game is something to be excited about. But those who’ll dissent won’t really get it until they try it, because Bioware’s take on an online gaming experience is so different to everything else on the market.

And frankly: So better.

Well, I suppose that not everyone will grok why an online tabletop-gaming experience is special. It might not be to everyone’s tastes even. But I’ll like it, and when it comes to games that’s really all I give a damn about.

14. Gekidami

I’m not really sure if should be so proud of a story-driven MMO, i mean, look at AoC, a million ‘Choosen Ones’ running around all set out to destroy the same evil, it really disconnects you from the actual idea that your character lives in this world and isnt just some passing hero above everyone else that will disapear once its all over.