IGN gives BioShock PS3 a cool 9.4/10 (update)

Thursday, 16th October 2008 06:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioshocka4.jpg

Update: EG’s given it a 10.

Update 2: PSM3, via CVG, has given it 9.3/10.

IGN’s BioShock PS3 review is up, and it’s glowing. The 9.4/10 score says “buy it”: the closing comments say, “Buy it if you haven’t played it before.” See:

If you never experienced the halls of Rapture and have been waiting for its appearance on the PS3, there really is no discussion to be had. Go out and get your hands on BioShock — you will thoroughly enjoy exploring the incredible story and the excellent action that the game is known for. However, if you’ve played the game before, or are expecting this to be the definitive version, that’s not fully found here. Sure, the full trophy support and Survivor mode are great, and the Challenge Rooms could add a ton to the replayability (whenever it’s implemented). However, old glitches that should’ve been fixed in the PS3 development hold this version back from being completely realized.

Game’s out Friday. Full thing through the link. The site’s video review is after the break.

1. Gekidami

Bioshock in no way deserves a perfect score…

2. morriss

No such thing as perfect. And EGs 10 is bang on. Wonderful, wonderful game that everyone ‘must’ experience.

3. Blerk

If I buy it and it’s shit, I’ll be sending you a package in the post, morriss.

4. Shatner

Don’t do it Blerk!

IGN is average at best.

Writing: 4
    Coverage: 8
    Layout: 3
    Speed: 3
    OVERALL: 3 (Not an average)

5. morriss

I’ll rephrase through fear: it’s a game everyone must experience for themselves. You must buy it and play it. Hence worthy of a high score.

6. mart

The demo should be enough to tell you if you’ll like it or not.

However, nobody can possibly enjoy the last third of the game. It’s impossible.

7. morriss

pfft!

I enjoyed all of it. And you can’t really tell if the game’s for you until you get to Fort Frolic. If you’re still “meh” then turn it off, as first person gaming doesn’t get any better.

8. patlike

I’m going to try to play through this again over Christmas, God willing. I got to the bit with the chem gun last time, which was about half way through, I think, and gave up.

9. pleasant_cabbage

I think there’s probably good reasons (within the game) why you gave up Pat.

Imo, leave it there. Like Morriss said, if it didn’t grab you by then it ain’t gonna.

The rest of what Morriss said was pish though (stopped clock and all that) ;)

10. pjmaybe

Nice score. The demo really did show that 2K have done pretty much the best they can with the hardware. I’m quite envious of anyone who’s fresh to the game and hadn’t already seen it on the 360 or PC

11. patlike

Just added another one.

12. Esha

Oh dear. I can’t believe you added that, but it is funny.

Anyway, BioShock is an acquired taste, as far as games go. It’s not a pure shooter, it has RPG elements in it which might be a bit too watered down for some, and it has mechanics which might make the head of an FPS fan explode. It clicked with me however, and I loved every minute of it. But I see how it might not work for everyone.

I definitely agree that the demo should be played before a purchase is made.

13. Axle

Bioshock isn’t a great game, it’s just a game the critics love to love because it perpetrates videogames as ‘art form’ i.e. it has semi-decent narrative elements, although as videogames are games this should be second to the playability.

In truth the game runs out of stream half-way through and the twist, when it comes, although entertaining is a little trite.

There can be NO WAY that this is worth a 10 – especially from a site as ‘trusted’ as EG

14. Esha

That I have to agree with, but I wonder if they redid the ending for the PS3 version? If so, I might actually pick up the PS3 version for that alone. It’s pretty much a given that both of the available endings of the original BioShock could only be described as utter shite.

It was good for the first half though, fair play. It did bring a lot of ingenious mechanics into play, and mechanics that made the game feel truly organic and alive. A lot of games will be judged by that for years to come, I think. For all of its flaws, BioShock never had that aura of annoying clunkiness that a lot of recent shooters have (with even the likes of HL2 included), and for that reason alone it’s worth a look.

With BioShock though, it is more about the experience than the game, it’s something to sit down and play around with something new in a familiar environment, a bit of an experiment. It’s like LBP in that respect. I suppose those who’re looking for a really solid and every-day gaming experience should look elsewhere, to Far Cry 2 perhaps.

Still… for all of its flaws, I think that to any at least partially intellectual gamer, it’s worth a look. Just to marvel at what they did accomplish.

15. pjmaybe

Hmm just waiting for someone to cap and youtube the Bioshock 2 teaser as this seems to be one reason to play through the PS3 version…

Someone’s bound to do it aren’t they…?

16. Esha

With a camcorder, probably. Though that’s going to result in absolutely awful quality and the unsteady-hand problem that all amateur camera users have.