Nikkei – New DS to release this year with larger screens, music play-back, more

Sunday, 28th September 2008 09:15 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dslite5.jpg

According to this Reuters report, the Nikkei’s reported this morning that Nintendo is to release a new DS this year.

The hardware upgrade is to feature a built in camera, support for SD cards, music playback capabilities, and improved Wi-Fi support. The system’s screens will also be bigger.

The piece apparently said that the new version will continue with its feature of having two touch-screens, so there’s a chance that rumour of a second touch-panel being included in the upgrade are true.

The console will have improved Wi-Fi support, increasing the system’s use as an information terminal, allowing owners to get news and product information at retailers and train stations. Nintendo currently has such a service on test under the name Nintendo Spot.

Pricing for the new model will be below 20,000 yen, says the report.

More through the link.

1. ecu

This sounds more like a DS2 than an upgrade to the existing hardware.

2. Psychotext

Seems over for the PSP if true.

3. Plainview

Why bother the current DS is still selling like hotcakes

4. ecu

PSP is still selling well though, isn’t it?

5. Psychotext

Yeah, I meant more in terms of ever catching the DS again.

6. ecu

It was never going to catch the DS though. I don’t think it has to, but I think piracy really has ruined the machine.

7. Gamoc

Agreed with the piracy thing. I love the PSP, it’s a superb system, but damn piracy has screwed that up slightly. Sure, it’s probably not quite as rampant as is generally believed, but it’s definitely still there and developers don’t like that.

8. ecu

PSP games are not selling at all, anywhere. I can’t help but feel piracy is very much responsible for that.

9. Psychotext

Well, it’s either that or people aren’t buying them as games machines on the whole.

10. David

most people I know don’t buy DS games they just use there r4 and download games. So piracy is riff with both handhelds

11. patlike

I reckon this is legit. Be very surprised if it isn’t, anyway.

12. Gamoc

Oh please, I know at least two people who haven’t got their PSPs cracked. My girlfriend and I. I don’t know anyone else who owns a PSP, except two guys online, one of which is cracked.

Also, I bought 5 PSP games a month ago, and my girlfriend bought 3. I could quite easily crack my PSP and hers, but we don’t want to. I find it hard to believe we’re the only people who do this.

13. morriss

I reckon you are. :)

14. Psychotext

Funny really… two Nintendo DS in my household and I don’t own an R4 or equivalent for either of them.

That said, I haven’t used mine for about a year anyway so I’m not sure it matters.

15. absolutezero

Im pretty sure more people own DS + R4 than own cracked PSPs.

The reason no PSP games sell is because most of them are utter shit. Now because they are shit none sell, then other developers use the not selling any games as an excuse not to invest in making good games.

16. DrDamn

This sounds more like a concessions to what the R4 card provides rather than the PSP. Music playback, use of SD cards to play a catalogue of games from (though it’s not clear what the SD support above will entail).

When I was in Hong Kong last year there were lots of people about with both machines on the underground. Though the demographic for the PSP was very much young male. A wider demographic for the DS – but the vast majority of the people with DS’s were using R4 cards.

17. Gamoc

The vast majority of people with DSs are using R4 cards?

You really think so?

18. Big Stu

I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a vast majority of the DS owning public have them, but a huge number of the gaming community definitely do.

19. absolutezero

Not the vast majority no. A higher percentage than PSP owners who have cracked PSPs? Yes.

20. DrDamn

@Gamoc – this was in Hong Kong not here. They even sell R4 cards in the bigger shopping malls – very easy to get hold of.

21. mortiferus

PSP is a year away from going the way of the Game Gear.

22. Gamoc

No, it’s not, Sony won’t let that happen. Plus, it’s a superb system, either way. I’ll still use mine.

23. ecu

PSP is still selling well, but it’s not doing well as a games machine. Sony won’t ditch it because it’s still doing well as a multimedia device and the units are shifting.

24. mortiferus

@ Gamoc.

Dude, SEGA poured on just as much if not more support for the GG, yet the division folded like an accordion when they realized that though superior technically the Game Gear would never get the third party nor the financial support needed to grow the platform.

For every 1 good game on PSP, there are 5 for the DS. And that is just first party. PSP 3000 might be the last revision… ever. “Search your feelings, you know this to be true.”

25. mortiferus

@ ecu

Two words: iPhone, Android. I sold my PSP a while back and though I miss wipeout, I made the right choice it is a stagnant platform.

26. morriss

I never, ever use mine.

27. ecu

It’s a good RPG platform, I find. PSP itself has a fair few good RPG’s released on it, but it can also play SNES and PS1 RPGs if you have CFW. Mine gets a ridiculous amount of play because of this.

28. morriss

I’d love some PSP RPGs. What ones are there that aren’t FF Tactics?

29. patlike

Disgaea’s good. I managed to wipe my save game after 10 hours, though. That wasn’t so good.

30. morriss

Yeah but I’m looking for more tradition (J)RPGs with traditional turn-based or real-time combat. Apart from Crisis Core, is there anything?

31. ecu

Tales of Eternia, Breath of Fire 3, Jeanne D’arc, Riviera, Wild Arms XF, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, PoPoLoCrois, Final Fantasy I + II, Monster Hunter, Star Ocean First Departure, Star Ocean Second Story. Plus about 4 times as many if you have CFW.

32. morriss