Competing against PS3? Scott Steinberg’s first-party army has “bad news for you”

Thursday, 25th September 2008 10:33 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps332.jpg

SCEA marketing boss Scott Steinberg reckons Sony’s first-party offering in the coming years is going to make competing against PS3 a tough business.

“If you’re a competitor I’ve got bad news for you because we’ve got some absolute blockbusters that are in the works, some of them new IP, some of them existing IP, that we’re building specifically for the PS3,” he said, writing on Edge.

“From a competitive standpoint our competitors are going to have a tougher road now then even in 2008. But for PlayStation 3 consumers, it means more quality and more choice.”

Not scared yet? Not even facing 1,000 tooled up developers?

“It’s a major flaw in some of our competitors that they don’t have the development resources to showcase on a global basis the diversity and the creativity of a development team that’s a thousand strong,” Steinberg added.

“What that means is a huge resource of talent that’s thinking about ways to showcase the technology, who pride themselves on knowing the technology better than anyone, and eking out every last ounce of creative value.”

Don’t cut Scott: he bleeds black. More through the link.

1. Truk

To be fair, they do have rather a lot of very good first-party developers. Having them spread across three continents helps with the diversity, too.

2. Blerk

I agree they have some brilliant first and second party teams, but so do everyone else. They talk about diversity, but my biggest gripe with Sony’s first-party output from PS3 launch to date is a lack of diversity – everything seems to be concentrated on the bullet-monkey or the teenage girl end of the market, with very little in the middle ground.

3. Tonka

A strong first party line-up. Blessing or curse?

Ponders what the child of a bullet-monkey and a teenage girl would look like…

4. Panipal2005

‘Bullet-monkey’

Quick, copyright that phrase!

5. Robo_1

MS is clearly going down the road of cherry picking third party releases for exclusivity, whilst Sony is choosing to bolster up it’s first party offering.

There’s merit to both approaches of course, but on the technology side, Scott’s right on the money. Sony have a team of dedicated programmers, who work and share technology on a regular basis. You only have to look at how far PS2 development progressed over the years, to see that if the same happens for PS3, there’s going to be great things to come.

6. Truk

I recall reading in Develop that Sony’s first-party developer count is the equal to Microsoft’s and Nintendo’s put together.

I think the problem with their lack of output so far, from what I’ve been led to understand and from what I’ve surmised, is that a lot of the first-party teams have spent a lot of time doing tech and support for second- and third-party.

7. deftangel

I like this guy, he’s not shy :) At some point he’s going to have to stop gobbing off though and start delivering. LBP and Killzone 2 asides, most of their AAA 1st party has left me pretty cold.

Insomniac asides, this massive resource ain’t exactly firing out games left right and center is it?

8. Quiiick

As if competitors were only twiddling their thumbs. Sure, Sony has an impressive (first-party) lineup of titles but so do others.

9. Truk

LBP isn’t first party, so you just got a bit chillier :-P

10. Truk

I never said they have impressive line-up of first party games. They don’t yet, frankly. I was just agreeing with the guy in the article that they do have a *lot* of development resources.

11. mortiferus

Yawn, same shit every freakin year!!! Guess what, Were not buying it Sony. When we see some real builds, we’ll believe it. If this BS was true Killzone 2 would have been out last year. So Scott stop talking smack!!!

Hell, look at all the software MS have shipped in the development time of K2… Yeah Scott, don’t make me laugh!

12. No_PUDding

LBP is first party, MM isn’t.

But having seen Resistance 2, such a mediocre title (graphically to me) pull off technically impressive graphics (sort out the damn art style still), I actually know what he’s on about.

The fact is, it needs to happen sooner. I know its coming but the only reason I am not chomping at the bit is because I have LBP and Wipeout (soon).

Enough brackets to feed Ethiopia.

13. Truk

“LBP is first party, MM isn’t.”

I think you have no idea what first party means.

edit: To expand… from the point of the view of Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft, first party means it’s developed by them. Second party means it’s published by them but developed by a second party (as LBP is in this case) and third party means it’s developed by and published by someone else.

14. No_PUDding

Okay, well then I’ll be specific and show you I know what I am talking about.

Just don’t be a smart ass.

I don’t expect MM to stay 2nd Party for long to be honest anyway. But Sony own the LittleBigPlanet IP, a game can’t be first party I am aware, I just couldn’t be bothered to chnage that.

I am well aware of difference between st 2nd and 3rd party thanks.

15. Truk

I wasn’t being a smart ass.

16. reask

The problem with Sony is everything is coming.

Again they get there act together we will be in next gen.

17. No_PUDding

The problem with Sony is everything is coming.

When/If they get there act together we will be in next gen.

fixzorz

18. David

Does anyone care about console brands any more though (A side from fanboy’s) Most of the big games now a days are not first party.

19. reask

@ David. brand name is important but you’re right multi plat is becoming the norm.

So how about Halo on ps3 for resistance on 360 lol.

20. David

Halo is mediocre but so simple anyone and their gran could play it.

Simple fact is though out of the titles I’m looking forward too only 1 is first party and the other is 2nd party the rest is 3rd party.

21. reask

The problem with most games now is there all too easy imo.

I’ve just finished bc bad company and again was disappointed at how easy it was.

I played it on medium btw.

All you had to do was a kamikaze come back and all the enemies you had killed were gone.

I find that the same with most games checkpoints everywhere.

Getting back to halo I did find it good but again too easy.

I was told RFOM 1 was pretty mediocre but cannot confirm that as I never played it. I dont have the ps3.