Rumour: Custom soundtracks for PS3 Firmware 2.4?

Tuesday, 24th June 2008 15:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

PlaystationJournal is reporting that custom XMB music may be included in the upcoming PS3 2.40 Firmware update.

The talk’s emerged following Criterion listing, “Support for Custom Soundtracks on PlayStation 3″ as a feature of one of its upcoming Burnout Paradise updates.

“This could mean a couple of things,” said the site. “Either each game will have it’s own in game custom soundtracks, or Sony have succeeded in making InGame XMB Music possible by just having the developer update the game to make the game compatible with the PS3′s system & settings.”

Purely speculative of course, but this isn’t the first time that custom music support for the 2.40 update hinted at.

By Michael O’Connor

1. Psychotext

I still reckon this is going in as optional developer functionality rather than something run at the XMB level.

2. Blerk

I still don’t really care. :-D

3. CastellanSpandrell

Why bother to comment if you don’t care…?

4. Newbie101

Why PT?

5. Psychotext

Because some developers have already integrated custom soundtracks and it’s also going to use up a fairly significant chunk of memory which not every dev will want to give up. Plus of course there’s the MS patent on console level custom soundtracks… but they could have easily paid to use it.

6. Blerk

Because I’m evil egotistical trouble-causer with nothing better to do.

7. Newbie101

sounds more like a xbot comment to me PT, sorry ;).

8. Psychotext

Have you really so little to do that you find time to follow me around Newbie?

9. morriss

All will be revealed soon enough. I with PT though: it’s a memory drainer.

10. ecu

If it’s going to be as crap as it is on the 360, they might as well not bother.

11. Newbie101

I don’t. As we both go into the same news items (as we both view this site), I see all the comments like you do.

All I’m saying is that most of the comments you make always seem to have an anti-sony and a pro-360 slant.

12. morriss

So what if they do? Just accept it and move on. Pointing it out all the time irritates everyone. If that’s his opinion, that’s his opinion.

Anyway: Sonylol, PSlol. No games, unfinished, MGS4 wasn’t very good and LBP will be delayed like all the other rubbish because it’s so difficult to develop for.

There, you can follow me around now. It’ll be easier for everyone if you do.

13. Psychotext

Newbie101: I think that’s your bias showing rather than mine. =)

14. Zarckan

You will be able to choose audio files via the XMB ingame, however as has been said previously, this is only for games that support the extra features in v2.40.

We might see a spate of previously released games build with the 2.40 SDK getting patches allowing in-game XMB access etc. But unless a game is built with the 2.40 SDK na da.

15. Truk

The OS is already using a reasonable chunk of memory. A bit of sound playback wouldn’t be too much trouble. It might still be optional, though. If the report’s true.