First Red Faction: Guerilla footage released

Tuesday, 24th June 2008 09:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

redfactioniii3.jpg

And very good it looks, too. The trailer after the break shows plenty of open-world destruction, crumbling buildings and explosions, so there’s a few reasons to be cheerful.

The Volition-developed sequel has moved into third-person, as the thinking behind the switch is explained in the video. There’s a developer interview on IGN, if you’re after words. Take a look.

Game’s out on PC, PS3 and 360 next year.

1. Blerk

Oh good – it’s Gears of Grand Theft Space Marine Mercenaries.

The destructible stuff looks quite neat. But the rest of it’s a complete yawn-o-rama.

2. pjmaybe

The destructible stuff sounded a bit ambitious when I talked to the Volition chaps a few months ago. They were talking about every building in the game having to be architecturally sound, simply because the physics engine was so realistic that if a building couldn’t stand up in the real world, it wouldn’t stand up in the game. So they had to build proper frameworks, then skin ‘em.

Sounds like a load of blarney but if it’s true then it might make Battlefield: Bad Company’s “smoke and mirrors” destructible stuff look a bit pants.

3. Blerk

BF:BC’s destructible stuff looked super-comedy when I was watching it this weekend. Every hole made in every wall was the same shape and size. :-D

4. pjmaybe

It’s crap really. At first I thought it was a good attempt to give a realistic impression of battle damage, but you soon figure out that a grenade round into the side of a building produces a reasonably predictable result, and you can’t bring an entire building down even with massive field gun fire.

Shame though.

Anyway Red Faction might be alright, at least the setting’s quite cool but Volition aren’t exactly a developer that put out bug-free triple-A material any more.

5. SticKboy

I;m very much looking forward to this. I thought the plot in the first game was great (although the second half dragged a bit) and the second game was probably my favourite FPS on the PS2. It looks like this game might *finally* deliver on the franchises two key USPs – actually delivering 100% realistically destructible environments and a captivating, politically charged plot.

I just hope that they can live up to my lofty expectations.