Eutechnyx: Europe’s games industry has been “decimated”

Tuesday, 24th June 2008 08:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Eutechnyx’s Darren Jobling has issued a stark warning on the issue of American domination of publishing and development, saying that both the creative and business side of the European games industry is in dire straights.

“The games industry is currently a US dominated industry, everything we had left in Europe has pretty much been decimated,” he said, speaking to GamesIndustry.biz.

“I was talking about it on the publishing side, obviously there’s only Ubisoft and Eidos of any size and I think that’s pretty much it.

“What concerns me, is that if you look at publishing what happened was Infogrames came in buying up Ocean, buying up Gremlin, and the whole thing collapsed, and that just worries me about these people coming in buying developers.”

More through the link.

1. pjmaybe

Doesn’t exactly help when Sony comes along and shits on high profile UK developed projects.

Have Eutechnyx heard of that tiny little developer, Rockstar North? I’ve heard that a couple of their games sold well.

2. Tiger Walts

So, what publishers are there in the UK?

Eidos and Codemasters, they’re still UK based… right? Can’t think of any others. If that’s all there is then I think he’s right.

3. pjmaybe

Rebellion?

4. Shatner

pjmaybe, are you suggesting no other manufacturer has cancelled a UK developed project other than Sony?

All companies do it where they must. Nintendo barely support the european development scene at all. They can’t exactly cancel stuff they never started in the first place. I still mourn the lack of Unity of my Gamecube.

And Microsoft aren’t exactly innocent of such crimes either. You’ve probably forgotten all about Lionhead’s “BC” that never ever appeared.

The list is long and varied and substantiated with a multitude of different reasons. It’s telling that whenever there is bad news going gamers always seek to pull one name out of the bag rather than any other – even though a bit of simple research would give a more balanced view.

5. Shatner

Oh, heres a list of developers. You might be surprised to see how many are UK based.

The UK development scene is also being decimated by Government tax breaks in places like Canada which, from a business perspective, make a lot of sense in order to be more cost effective.