Bach denies Blu-ray Xbox 360 announcement today

Monday, 9th June 2008 07:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

robbiebach.jpg

That was quick. Despite a Crunchgear report yesterday rumouring a Blu-ray-powered Xbox 360 announcement today, Microsoft entertainment devices boss Robbie Bach has already boxed it.

“That is so far out that there isn’t anything to talk about,” he said in an SFGate interview.

Bach added: “You have to look at how fundamentally compelling the difference is between a progressive scan DVD player and the picture that it can produce and what you get on a high-definition player. The reality is there is some difference, but most people look at it and say, ‘I am not going to pay extra for that.’”

Look, internet: it isn’t true. These, of course, are famous last words and it’ll probably be announced this afternoon. Saying things aren’t true is a little like smoking while you wait for buses, especially when Microsoft’s concerned.

1. morriss

So that’s confirmed, then. MS Blu Ray for Christamas. :)

2. patlike

I still don’t believe it.

3. morriss

4. patlike

I don’t think they care enough at the moment.

5. morriss

Well with every analyst under the sun predicting doom and gloom and with sales plateauing, then maybe they should, innit.

6. Psychotext

Would these be the same analysts that are predicting the PS3 to go on and sell over 100m?

7. morriss

yeps, thems the ones.

8. Michael

“I don’t know what to think. I doubt the announcement will come today, that’s for sure. But considering so many PS3s are sold on the strength of the built-in Blu Ray player, it would seem logical to try and get a piece of that pie.”

And profit Sony with every Xbox 360 sold? Hardly.

Xbox 360 with Blu-ray is never going to happen, for starkly obvious reasons.

9. TL63

I think that a 360 with Blu-ray could be a possibility. Considering the PS3 has begun to outsell the 360 in Europe, perhaps this would stop/slow falling sales by halting people who buy the PS3 purely for its Blu-ray capabilities.

Even if MS had to pay Sony a small percentage for each Blu-ray Drive, maybe they (MS)could sell or licence, some of their far superior on-line technology or code to Sony.

I’m sure some business arrangement could be entered into by both parties.

10. Psychotext

Michael: These companies cross licence tons of tech. They’re already swapping profits.