Ninja Gaiden 2 demo on Live now

Tuesday, 3rd June 2008 11:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ninjagaiden225.jpg

Microsoft’s posted the Ninja Gaiden 2 demo, and it weighs in at 857Mb. As reported earlier, for some reason the taster hasn’t been cleared for launched in the US or Canada, which is officially “a shame” if you live over there.

Go get yourself some free “high-speed ninja action” if you don’t.

1. patlike

Hmm. A quick go on this shows the camera really is completely fucked. Brilliant.

2. Blerk

The footage on Playr on Sunday suggested as much. Several occasions even in that review where he was getting rogered by something that was actually off-screen.

3. mart

Sounds good, pussies.

4. patlike

In the first few corridor bits then I was being attacked by something around a corner. Also, on a flight of stairs, the camera jumped around so much I wasn’t sure who I was even controlling.

5. mart

Yeah yeah. It’s meant to be like that. You can’t handle it.

6. Blerk

Itagaki sabotaged it on purpose!

7. Psychotext

If you’re not used to NG games… keep your finger over the right trigger. You’ll need to use it, a lot.

8. Blerk

What does that button do?

9. patlike

It resets the camera behind Ryu.

10. Shatner

Do you think a working camera was part of the criteria for Itakgaki’s bonus? Maybe that’s why Tecmo aren’t delivering his yen.

But, yeah, the speed the combat the game moves at, you need a camera that keeps up with it. Or you need a well scripted cinematic camera system that frames the action properly (God of War is a good example of this).

Ah well, maybe he’ll sort it for NG3.

Oh. Wait..

11. patlike

Not very good, is it? I think the chances of me spending 40 quid on it are rather unlikely.

12. Blerk

Don’t you have independent camera control on the right-stick? I’ve never played a Ninja Gaiden game, so I don’t know. But… I would’ve thought that was kinda ‘industry standard’ by now, surely?

13. patlike

Yeah, you do. You can go first-person as well by holding down the left bumper.

14. Psychotext

I don’t think independent camera control would really work for a game like NG… it’s just too fast for manual control.

15. patlike

It’s sort of a half-way house. It swings around by itself and you you move it alone. It’s bizarre. And broken.

16. Psychotext

I wouldn’t go so far as to say broken. Based on the demo at least there were only a couple of points where the camera did something stupid. That said… I’m used to the NG camera from the first game and controlling via the right trigger.

17. patlike

Fair enough. Not for me though, I think.

18. absolutezero

I think because of the change in environments from wide-open areas to looking like its going to be inside alot the camera may well be worse in this game.

Not that it matters I was pulling UTs, ninpo (yeah I know I actually used it) and the new obliteration techniques all over the shop. Its fantastic.

However, I saw Ghost Fish in the GT review last night. Thats just being silly really.

19. morriss

I’m on Chapter 5 atm., and it’s by far and away the most fun I’ve had in ages.

Brilliant stuff. None of these issues in the EG review have made themselves apparent to me yet.

20. morriss

If the camera goes a bit nuts, hold down the left and right triggers to block, as soon as you parry their attacks, the camera resets itself.

Never once have I died because of the camera, and never once has it stopped me from attacking the person whom I want to attack.

21. BillyBatts

What I wanted to hear :-)

22. Michael

I finally had a bash of it.

The very start is awkward, just because it throws you into it so suddenly. A bit of practise later though, and the whole thing becomes second nature. After the initially weak start, I was flying.

Definately picking this up as soon as I can.

23. mart

Had a wazz on the demo this evening and loved every claret spurting minute of it, so got my pre-order in.

24. patlike

I’m going to give it another go in a minute, I think.

25. morriss

I can’t wait to get back to it, tbh. I just know when I hit chapter six or seven it’s going to get too 1337 for me, but it’s real frenetic, frenzied stuff atm.

Got a 100-hit combo today! :)

26. mart

I think I almost shit myself with excitement when I saw how awesome the staff weapon was. Vicky was less impressed, but still impressed. I could tell.

27. Psychotext