Ton of Siren: New Translation media released

Friday, 25th April 2008 10:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

sirena.jpg

Watch Impress is carrying a heap of screens from Siren: New Translation, the newly-announced PS3 SCEJ horror. Looking good. No date as yet, and no word of western release, but you can pretty much take is as a given this is going to make it outside Japan. Do want, definitely. It’s down for a July 24 release.

1. Blerk

Demo’s on the Japanese marketplace, and Gamesyde have a ten minute video of it here:

2. patlike

Ta. Got to run, but I’ll look later.

3. Whizzo

That girl really needs to use non-running mascara.

4. Rhythm

Yeah, picked up the demo last night and will give it a go tonight. Definitely looks interesting

5. pjmaybe

Demo’s out you say? Oooh now that’s nice to know!

6. Blerk

Check out disc’s comments on the EG thread for his first impressions.

I’ve just watched the vid and it appears to be quite changed from the original game – more like a cross between Siren and Resi 4 than a rehash of the original, with far less emphasis on the stealth and much improved combat (i.e. it’s actually possible to hit something).

7. Hero of Canton

Spent two hours playing the demo this morning – detailed impressions on http://www.pspsps.tv plug plug – and it IS Siren crossed with Resi 4. At least for the section of game covered by the demo. Its ending suggests it’ll mix up the more action-focussed sections with some tense stealth sections. As one of the only games where I think stealth truly works, this is a good thing. But yep – combat’s less clunky, and it looks lovely.

Western release please, Sony. Ta.

8. Blerk

Nice article, Hero.

I’m quite upbeat about this now! I always wanted to like Siren. With Silent Hill looking like it’s going to be a dog’s dinner and Project Zero defecting to Wii, it’s nice to get some good survival horror news for a change!

9. Blerk

Do the Shibito still come back to life after a while like they do in the original, btw? Or are they proper dead once you’ve brained them with a pickaxe?

10. Hero of Canton

They seem to stay dead for longer. There was only one point I noticed where one came back to life, and I’d wandered quite a way away before that happened, so I’m not sure if it’s a time or a distance thing. During the bit where you have to smash the lock off a door I kept looking behind me to make sure the recently-brained shibito hadn’t got up!

11. Blerk

Excellent. Slow-moving stealth and hastily reanimating baddies were a recipe for disaster for me in the first game.

12. Hero of Canton

Did you play the second? Was much better. Still a little clunky in places, but worth persevering with – and its story is amazing. There’s one really horrible level though – basically, if you get spotted at all you’re dead. And there are tons of shibito.

I hope this retains the bleakness of the first two. Part of the fun is guessing what horrible fate is going to meet the characters you’re controlling.

13. Blerk

No, I didn’t play the second game because of my experiences with the first one. Perhaps I should’ve given it a go. Bit late now, though! :-)